This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fireplace Started a Fire

A warning for those who may use fireplace unattended: ours started burning the wooden enclosure when blower motor stalled. This was just after having left the fireplace on all night. The oveheat cutoff did not shut off the heater element. I have removed the fireplace permanently and will never use one in an rv again.

YIKES! That is horrible news. Would you have any pictures of the failure point? Fireplace model? Model of your Grand Design?
    Would like a little more information for this topic and for owners to look for.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      YIKES! That is horrible news. Would you have any pictures of the failure point? Fireplace model? Model of your Grand Design?
      Would like a little more information for this topic and for owners to look for.

Brian
      Yup, for sure. Would like to know what caused it so we can maybe do some preventative maintenance.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Wow, we use ours a LOT. This is not good news. Please provide additional info on model/make.
        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
        2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

We use ours overnight and will tune back in for more info as well. Thanks for sharing this.
          Trib
          2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
          2021 Momentum 320G
          2021 Road Glide Limited
          See you down the road!!

Comment

This is a single unsubstantiated report. Many of us use the electric fireplace heater regularly and we often use ours overnight. The originator of this thread has been asked for more information.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by hollebone View Post
              A warning for those who may use fireplace unattended: ours started burning the wooden enclosure when blower motor stalled. This was just after having left the fireplace on all night. The oveheat cutoff did not shut off the heater element. I have removed the fireplace permanently and will never use one in an rv again.
              We had a 35ft motor home with a fireplace and it would make the cabinet too hot to touch. I disabled it after the first use.
              By contrast, the fireplace cabinet in our 35ft fifth wheel stayed cool as a cucumber.
              Different manufacturers 🤷‍♂️
              Rich
              Last edited by guest2; 01-26-2024, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post

We had a 35ft Bounder with a fireplace and it would make the cabinet too hot to touch. I disabled it after the first use.
                By contrast, the fireplace cabinet in our 35ft fifth wheel stayed cool as a cucumber.
                Different manufacturers 🤷‍♂️
                Rich
                Well, I'd guess I'd like to know if Innoflame is on the bad list.
                2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Well, I'd guess I'd like to know if Innoflame is on the bad list.
                  Unfortunately I don’t have that info since the user manuals went when the RVs were sold.
                  Only thing I can suggest is try it and see if the cabinet gets hot (while you’re at home of course).
                  Rich

Comment

My fireplace wiring totally melted. Turned on in the am and rig filled with smoke. I posted pics and contacted Grand design and the fireplace manufacturer. I asked if they wanted any of it back to see what happened. they offered my a 10% discount. To this day (2 plus years later) still have no idea. Thankfully the wiring was contained in a metal box on the fireplace.
                    2018 337RLS
                    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                    disc brakes, ems

Comment

From October 2021
                      2018 337RLS
                      720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                      disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
                        My fireplace wiring totally melted. Turned on in the am and rig filled with smoke. I posted pics and contacted Grand design and the fireplace manufacturer. I asked if they wanted any of it back to see what happened. they offered my a 10% discount. To this day (2 plus years later) still have no idea. Thankfully the wiring was contained in a metal box on the fireplace.
                        I've read posts like yours over the years. I tried to find a few yesterday and post links but struck out.

Additionally, (if I remember right) an issue with the fireplace's outlet drove owners to pull out the fireplace and inspect the receptacle behind (feeding) the fireplace for any signs of burning. I did this inspection, and even though it looked fine I replaced the "RV" outlet with a standard home-style in a metal outlet box that's secured to the slide floor. The thought process is the heavy power draw over a long period is too much for the small connections made by the "RV" outlet. We've discussed that hypothesis at length here on the forum in other threads.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
                          Do you remember the brand of fireplace?

Comment

For those seeking proof, I have none. I am simply appealing to your natural self-preservation sense to NOT tolerate the use of a manifestly dangerous appliance while your loved ones are inside your RV. I myself am disabled, and had this fireplace malfunctioned 1 hour before it did, I would likely be dead, as I could not move out of my bed without assistance..I could share the make and model of the fireplace, but all that would do is demonize that company: it could be any fireplace that uses a heating element and blower motor.

Comment

Originally posted by hollebone View Post
                              .I could share the make and model of the fireplace, but all that would do is demonize that company: it could be any fireplace that uses a heating element and blower motor.
                              That's OK -- send any of the moderators the information including the year, make and model of your GD. A VIN, too, please. I'll explain further by private message if you'll take the time to send me one.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X