Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hollebone Thankyou for clarifying your perspective. Unfortunately, resistive electric heaters are commonplace in most RVs . . . and many homes of all styles for that matter. All we can do is try to select the best quality ones and avoid the others. The built in alternative for most RVs is to cycle the propane furnace and although I have absolutely no data to support this, I wonder if that is statistically safer. Maybe electric heaters sitting out in the room are safer? . . . I don’t have any data on this either.

From the “owners helping owners” perspective which is the basis of this forum, you have me wondering if there is an inline thermal switch that I could place in the enclosure above the fireplace as an additional safety measure to the thermal cut-off built into the fireplace unit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Maybe something like this with the probe placed above the fireplace unit? I have no affiliation with this vendor and no experience with this product . . . just the first find from a Google search.. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tempe...7143ebae1&th=1

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I now have a Dr.Heater electric heater in place of the fireplace. It has a good reputation and safety features that I can't find in many other similar appliances. The installation of "fireplaces" inside RVs is dangerous and ill-advised in my opinion.

Comment

hollebone

Thanks for getting us more information and your opinion on the usage goes a long way. Glad that you or anyone in your RV was not hurt. Passing this information along to other owners is what this Forum is all about. Each will have to make their own decision on what is safe for them.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It's my opinion that unless more substantive information can be provided to detail the model of Grand Design trailer as well as the brand of the fireplace, this thread should be closed.

There are tens of thousands of trailers sold every year with fireplaces.
            2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
            2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

This thread is now closed. The OP is welcome to contact any of the moderators with further information (as previously requested) that may lead to reopening this thread.

Any further posts will be summarily deleted by the moderators.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X