2020 Transcend 221 RB LR heat vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Nicolls View Post
    HI all, we have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB and may be a little late to this thread but we had noticed the unwarranted cycling in our heating as well as well as uneven heating. Hang in there as this is a rather long winded explanation. I am the curious sort and dug around until I found that the "ROOM PROBE" as labeled, for the tstat is located inside the a/c unit intake above the foam filter not in the tstat head. When I removed the filter and GENTLY pulled down the "PROBE" to about one inch inside the room below the filter the heating situation and temp. stability was greatly improved all over the unit. It is beyond me why the probe would be in the a/c/ inlet. When the outside temps are low there is very little air able to penetrate the foam filter as there is virtually no air movement in the unit. If you doubt this observation try this. Turn heat on and let it run for a while, observe the stat temp on wall, turn on FAN only function and circulate the air by way of a/c fan. Our indicated temp. rose from 55 to 80 degrees in a couple of minutes. A soon as the a/c fan was turned off the temp plummeted again. I sent email to GD 5 days ago and have not heard back which is a little frustrating not to receive even an acknowledgement. Hope this observation helps others.
    I sure would like to see pictures of what you are referencing , could you please post some?

Thanks
    Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

HI all, we have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB and may be a little late to this thread but we had noticed the unwarranted cycling in our heating as well as well as uneven heating. Hang in there as this is a rather long winded explanation. I am the curious sort and dug around until I found that the "ROOM PROBE" as labeled, for the tstat is located inside the a/c unit intake above the foam filter not in the tstat head. When I removed the filter and GENTLY pulled down the "PROBE" to about one inch inside the room below the filter the heating situation and temp. stability was greatly improved all over the unit. It is beyond me why the probe would be in the a/c/ inlet. When the outside temps are low there is very little air able to penetrate the foam filter as there is virtually no air movement in the unit. If you doubt this observation try this. Turn heat on and let it run for a while, observe the stat temp on wall, turn on FAN only function and circulate the air by way of a/c fan. Our indicated temp. rose from 55 to 80 degrees in a couple of minutes. A soon as the a/c fan was turned off the temp plummeted again. I sent email to GD 5 days ago and have not heard back which is a little frustrating not to receive even an acknowledgement. Hope this observation helps others.
      Me too (like to see pictures). I am curious and would like to run a few tests.

Edit: What doesn't make sense (to me) is the thermostat in my 315RLTS was affected by the coffee pot and other appliances when mounted in the hutch. When I moved the tstat to the outside wall that affect went away. How does the "room probe" interact with the thermostat?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Brian, I will attempt to get a pic of the PROBE and my solution of GENTLY poking a hole in the foam and GENTLY pulling the probe through the foam very carefully. We just got a bunch of snow and will not be able to take pics of the tstat face as it is behind the slide when it is closed. We have the Furion tstat and a/c and our situation may be different than other systems but I am certain all units like ours will be the same. Do I use the camera image to pull photos off my desktop?
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Brian, I will attempt to get a pic of the PROBE and my solution of GENTLY poking a hole in the foam and GENTLY pulling the probe through the foam very carefully. We just got a bunch of snow and will not be able to take pics of the tstat face as it is behind the slide when it is closed. We have the Furion tstat and a/c and our situation may be different than other systems but I am certain all units like ours will be the same. Do I use the camera image to pull photos off my desktop?
          How to post a photo (and many other topics on how to utilize features of this forum) are covered in the Forum Use channel. If you haven't read it yet, please check out the Welcome Letter as it covers a lot of things that will make your time here (hopefully) easier.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

According to the installation manual you are correct, the temp sensor is inside the unit. The way it was meant to work is the heat will rise and “evenly” circulated using the second motor. Is the temp sensor in the AC unit installed in the bedroom?
            2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Brian, we will see if I can get this to you and the thread. The pic shows the PROBE inserted through the foam air filter for the a/c unit. I tested the probe response by placing the tstat on heat and pinching it between my fingers to verify that even on HEAT that the system was using this probe for heat response. Let me know what you think as I still wonder about the wisdom of setting the system up tis way even if it is easy to do a single probe. UMMMM need to find out how to reduce the size of the pic file sit is about 3 times to big for this site, hang in there I may be able to figure it out.
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

O.K. I did have to reduce the pic size through my camera as it was too high of resolution. I think I got it on here now though it has not showed up just yet and if not I will keep trying, computer tech is not my strong point at all but I can build an entire aircraft out of a bundle of stuff that is 20 inches around and 20 feet long, I guess that is just the way priorities work. There is no second a/c unit in our 2600rb and the a/c unit is in the living area, if the system is intended to be used in conjunction with the a/c fan that would make it difficult to use when dry camping which also seems less than optimal. Also in cold weather this is a real head scratcher as to the logic of its placement. I agree with another post about the damper valve on the outlet perhaps causing an overtemp condition and shut down of the furnace and causing cycling.

Comment

A second attempt at getting the pic on here.

Comment

O.K. I did have to reduce the pic size through my camera as it was too high of resolution. I think I got it on here now though it has not showed up just yet and if not I will keep trying, computer tech is not my strong point at all but I can build an entire aircraft out of a bundle of stuff that is 20 inches around and 20 feet long, I guess that is just the way priorities work. There is no second a/c unit in our 2600rb and the a/c unit is in the living area, if the system is intended to be used in conjunction with the a/c fan that would make it difficult to use when dry camping which also seems less than optimal. Also in cold weather this is a real head scratcher as to the logic of its placement. I agree with another post about the damper valve on the outlet perhaps causing an overtemp condition and shut down of the furnace and causing cycling.
                    When you used the furnace did the A/C fan come one? if you can try turning on the furnace on battery power see what happens.
                    2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

To my knowledge and experience the A/C" fan only" setting is a separate function on the tstat. If I can get the slide open I will test to see if the "fan only" function works on 12 volt. Is the a/c fan 12 or 115 volt operation?

Comment

Mr. Howson, to answer your question the "room probe" in the a/c unit interacts directly with the tstat in both heat and cool modes. If a person sets the tstat to heat and pinches the probe the temp rises and the furnace shuts down after cooling somewhat in a normal fashion as soon as the temp drops the furnace comes back on. There is evidently no temp probe in the tstat head on the Furrion systems, or..... my unit was just lucky enough to get installed incorrectly??? With the "room probe" protruding about an inch into the living area we get great agreement with thermometers set in various area around the unit.

Comment

To answer GEISES question I got my slide open and did an experiment, was a good idea to try it. ON battery power the furnace and probe work as stated earlier, the a/c fan does not operate as it requires 115 volt input. Never in our Imagine has the a/c fan operated with the furnace unless manually commanded to do so, nor has it in any of the other many r.vs. we have owned over the years to include our past class A motorhome. The other gent that said he moved the tstat and or his coffee pot to correct his issue I do not know what to say other than I am not one to believe in coincidences happening very often, luck however does a play a role in thing at times. It is good to hear from others with their ideas.

Comment

flyfshrockies

I believe that some of us are comparing your Furrion tsat with our Dometic tsat. The Dometic tsat will run the a/c fan when in "Auto" fan mode when the furnace is running. If the fan mode is on "High" or "low" setting the a/c fan will not run. The Dometic tsat has a small probe integrated into the circuit board that monitors room temperature as well as a probe like you have in the a/c plenum to monitor a/c temp output.

I would call GD customer service with your vin just to make sure that you have a properly wired system as I do not think you should have to drop that probe out of the a/c unit to get proper heating.

Brian

PS: Use the "@" symbol as well as the users name of which you are addressing and they will get a notification as you did , it should show up highlighted in red as your does above. This is called "tagging" and all will know who you are addressing , quoting someone is another way to get there attention.
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

According to this YT clip from GD a few weeks ago, the Furrion A/C units lets you run the fan to help circulate the air throughout the coach. Seems to me that this only helps if your hot spot is close to your A/C return. My Transcend built on 1/8/21 has a Coleman unit, so unfortunately I cannot compare notes...
                              Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                              2020 Silverado 1500
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post
                                According to this YT clip from GD a few weeks ago, the Furrion A/C units lets you run the fan to help circulate the air throughout the coach. Seems to me that this only helps if your hot spot is close to your A/C return. My Transcend built on 1/8/21 has a Coleman unit, so unfortunately I cannot compare notes...
                                OK....maybe this my tired brain in overdrive (working a 12)...but would it be possible to mount two similar thermostats side-by-side with one controlling the furnace and the other controlling the air conditioner? The "a/c" thermostat would only have the wires to control the a/c and the "furnace" thermostat would only have the wires for the furnace.

That should allow running the a/c on "fan" to circulate air while also running the furnace.

For those with heat pumps...I have no idea.
                                As Keith would write at this point...back to my corner.

Comment

Working...
                                X