Accessing FIREPLACE 36" FLAT FRONT TITAN WF-36S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing FIREPLACE 36" FLAT FRONT TITAN WF-36S

The other evening the heating element on our fireplace would not heat. Yesterday morning it worked, but later SWMBO said it stopped working. All the lights come on, just no heat. I suspect a loose wire making intermittent connection. Even though the manual said to have an electrician do any repairs, including changing the LED bulb, I thought I would try to take a look anyways and see if it is something obvious. Which brings me to the problem, how to access the fire place.

From the manual, it looks like the glass front should be removable by pulling on the top of the panel and then lifting it out at the bottom after it rotates. We've pulled on the top of the panel as hard as we dare with no success. I was able to lift panel up slightly and we pulled again with no success. Tried not lifting the panel all the way up and pulling, still no success.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the glass panel off? Once it's off, it looks like the mounting screws can then be removed and the fireplace pulled out of it's opening. Is this correct?
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

I think there are 2 screws that hold the glass frame down, lift and it comes off, then its a lot of screws that hold the FP in to the opening.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

d2reid Has done a write up on how he removed his fireplace , maybe do a little search and you will find it. I am not sure if it is the same model and maybe he will be along to add a little insight.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        I think there are 2 screws that hold the glass frame down, lift and it comes off, then its a lot of screws that hold the FP in to the opening.
        Nope. No screws. From the the owner's manual installation instructions it looks like there should be two clips, one at each of the upper corners. Of course the manual doesn't show any details of these clips or discuss how to remove the glass panel, only how to rotate it up and snap into place.

I can pull/pry the top corners out a little before I get worried about breaking something, but not enough to get a peek at what's holding the panel in place.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          d2reid Has done a write up on how he removed his fireplace , maybe do a little search and you will find it. I am not sure if it is the same model and maybe he will be along to add a little insight.

Brian
          Thanks Brian, It looks like d2reid was fighting with a Twin Star fireplace. I'll hang in here and see if anyone else responds. I know my dealer pulled the panel under warranty to tighten a loose screw that was vibration so that is another source for me, but they've had a lot of turnover in techs in the last three years.

By the way, the heater element is now coming on with start up and then shutting down, not restarting based on thermostat control. Maybe a bad thermal fuse instead of loose connection?
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            Thanks Brian, It looks like d2reid was fighting with a Twin Star fireplace.
            Yup, it was a Twin Star. What make/model of fire place are you wrestling with? Edit: Duh, you have the make model in the thread header...

On mine the tabs at the top had set screws in them, hard to see. And the big factor for me was having to take some of the molding off the fireplace mantle.

Ok, that was weird, searching for that model led me to an SOB forum which led me to a different company that posted a manual. So this may not be relavent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplacehelp.JPG
Views:	1492
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	54293

Hope that helped......
            Last edited by d2reid; 05-19-2021, 11:28 AM.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Circled back to this yesterday morning:

My build sheet lists Dave Carter & Associates as the manufacturer of the fireplace. After some effort I contacted their office in Indiana and learned that they are distributors for many RV related parts, not manufacturers. Did learn that the fireplace was manufactured by World Wide Fireplace. Internet search failed to find World Wide Fireplace, call David Carter & Associates back and was told that they do not have any contact information for World Wide Fireplace (How they can distribute fireplaces from someone without knowing how to contract them I don't know, but I have my suspicions that I'll explain later.) Dave Carter & Associates said that my dealer should have the information.

Called my dealer and as suspected they had no contact information for World Wide Fireplace (why would they?). I emailed GD and got a same day response from Brooke, that they also have no contact information for World Wide Fireplace.

Pondering my next step at this point. On the plus side, SWMBO has okayed scraping the fireplace for a plug in baseboard type electric heater and converting the rest of the empty space into storage. So if I end up breaking the glass panel while trying to remove it, it won't be the end of the world.

Now for the suppositions. The fireplace is certified as safe by a company called Intertek which operates in Europe, Middle East, and Africa, so I suspect that the fireplace was manufactured in one of these locals by a small company without the resources for international distribution. In other words, there was at least one other distributor if not more involved in getting the fireplace from World Wide Fireplace to Dave Carter & Associates and then to Grand Design. World Wide Fireplace being a small, foreign, manufacturer, possibly in a country with limited or heavily controlled internet access may also explain why I can't find them on the internet. What I still haven't figured out is why World Wide Fireplace doesn't have their company name, location, and contact information on the installation manual?
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

... What I still haven't figured out is why World Wide Fireplace doesn't have their company name, location, and contact information on the installation manual?
                Perhaps they don't want to be contacted? If, as you suspect, they are small and located in one of the regions you suggest, they may not have the capacity for follow-up or customer support. In the RV industry, many of these vendor-supplied components are now considered disposable commodities. For example, when our Furrion convection microwave died, the solution would have been a $30 part (latch slide that holds the door switches). Per both GD and Furrion, they do not repair or service these units... so they just shipped me a new oven (under warranty).

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

We have become a disposable society. We don't even recycle well.

Oh how things with less technology back only a few years seemed to be built much better. Took a bit to find parts (i remember the days of microfish at the sparse service center and magnifiers) at times, but things did seem to last a lot longer.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update: Played the "What If" game with SWMBO on trying to force the front cover off the fireplace; What if the glass breaks? What if the the frame bends? Etc. We've basically decided to scrap the fireplace and go with a baseboard electric heater at the bottom with storage above it. We are currently on the move every two to four weeks so not a good time to try and have something shipped to us, and hardware stores are selling fans and coolers right now instead of heaters. This project is going on hold until we are at our home base in mid-August.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Update: Played the "What If" game with SWMBO on trying to force the front cover off the fireplace; What if the glass breaks? What if the the frame bends? Etc. We've basically decided to scrap the fireplace and go with a baseboard electric heater at the bottom with storage above it. We are currently on the move every two to four weeks so not a good time to try and have something shipped to us, and hardware stores are selling fans and coolers right now instead of heaters. This project is going on hold until we are at our home base in mid-August.
                      Just make sure that whatever you put there doesn't exceed the 1,400 watts of the OEM fireplace. That's what the circuit is designed to support.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

The fireplace is on a 15 amp dedicated circuit (breaker is correctly labeled, Yea) which if my math is right equates to 1,800 watts. The instruction manual does not state what the power requirements for the fireplace is, only that any extension cord should be 16 AWG and rated for 1878 watts, I suppose that there is a label somewhere on the fireplace listing the actual power requirements, but it is not visible after installation.

Still, Second Chance , I agree that less power is better in this case. After all, we're not hoping to heat the whole trailer, only keep our tootsies warm while watching the tele.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Well, d2reid your post of 5-19-2021was spot on. Didn't find the screws until I actually reached in with a finger and touched them. Black on black. After removing the screws the front panel lifted and rotated away without any problem. Rest of removal was straight forward; remove wood screws along flange and slide out. As mentioned previously, will not be be repairing or replacing the fireplace unit. Instead we will go with a ceramic space heater and build some shelves for reachable storage (SWMBO if vertically challenged and is excited about being able to reach her DVDs without using the stepladder). So this pretty much ends this thread.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Working...
                          X