Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 3rd a/c to "prepped" 397TH OneControl

Hello everyone,
    I have been trying to get a definite answer for some time now and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a '21 397TH with "3rd a/c prep" in the garage. Grand Design sent me a parts list, and it was just the rooftop unit and the ceiling mounted piece. The dealer is telling me I must also get a control module and have it programmed at the dealer in order for it to work with the OneControl.
    On the HVAC screen on the OneControl, there are three options currently listed; Main, Bedroom and Garage. If I add a Coleman 15k unit (same as OEM), will it integrate with the OneControl? Do I really need to take it to the dealer to have it programmed? I am hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, as they have been less than stellar. Thank you for any help
    2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab DRW
    2021 Momentum 397TH

Originally posted by AV8B6015 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have been trying to get a definite answer for some time now and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a '21 397TH with "3rd a/c prep" in the garage. Grand Design sent me a parts list, and it was just the rooftop unit and the ceiling mounted piece. The dealer is telling me I must also get a control module and have it programmed at the dealer in order for it to work with the OneControl.
    On the HVAC screen on the OneControl, there are three options currently listed; Main, Bedroom and Garage. If I add a Coleman 15k unit (same as OEM), will it integrate with the OneControl? Do I really need to take it to the dealer to have it programmed? I am hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, as they have been less than stellar. Thank you for any help
    Do you know for sure which Unity board is in your trailer? I suspect it is the Unity 4, but confirmation would help.

Bottom line: if the unit can be integrated into the existing board you can program it yourself with help from Lippert. It's not hard and certainly isn't a "dealer only" issue.

Let me know if there's more I can help with. (If you can post a picture of the board I can tell you which one it is.)

Howard

P.S. check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. Where is the Unity board, so I can get a picture?
      2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab DRW
      2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

Originally posted by AV8B6015 View Post
        Thank you for the quick reply. Where is the Unity board, so I can get a picture?
        I've never actually seen one myself (in person). I assume somewhere behind a wall in the "basement" area of your fifth wheel.

May I ask your level of experience with wiring, attaching pins to connectors, and using a multimeter? All of these tasks will be likely required to connect the 3rd A/C to the Unity x4 board.

Keep in mind the board is north of $1K to replace--any mistake could get expensive very, very quickly. I don't write that to discourage a DIY project, just as a cautionary note so you can make a judgment call whether it's worth it to incorporate the third a/c unit into the OneControl.

An inexpensive workaround? Skip incorporating into the OneControl system. Just control the third a/c from the thermostat, "old school" style. Much easier to accomplish with less risk IMHO. All the wiring should already be in place--mount the a/c unit, wire in the thermostat and you're done.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

AV8B6015 Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have a chance, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members navigate the forum, create a signature line and search tips hoping to give members the best possible experience on the forum. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
          X