No announcement yet.

Do Coleman Mach's talk to one another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Coleman Mach's talk to one another?

Any idea if the Coleman Machs communicate so they don't both try and start the compressors at the same time?
    I know some systems have enough smarts to work in tandem.
    -Rob-
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

The two in our 2020 Solitude 310GK do not. Some of the larger rigs have energy management systems in them that manage loads for the whole trailer - but it's not limited to just the ACs, I don't believe. A lot of folks will install the Soft Start boards in their ACs to manage the startups when running on generators or 30 amp shore power.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

We've never tried to run them together (never needed it really) but with this current heat wave, I'm tempted to try even though we are only on a 30 AMP service.
      I see about a 13 Amp draw per A/C so theoretically I should be able to run both provided the startup load isn't huge and I turn off my other non critical loads.
      I guess I'll just have to try.
      -
      2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
        We've never tried to run them together (never needed it really) but with this current heat wave, I'm tempted to try even though we are only on a 30 AMP service.
        I see about a 13 Amp draw per A/C so theoretically I should be able to run both provided the startup load isn't huge and I turn off my other non critical loads.
        I guess I'll just have to try.
        My understanding is those systems are used in 30 amp rigs with dual AC units. I think all of the Grand Designs with two AC units are 50 amps, so they're stand alone units. It's also my understanding that the logic is controlled by the thermostat not starting them at the same time (one thermostat controls both units or the thermostats talk to each other).

The way I manage this is run then both on low with the fan manually on, set one to the temperature I want and set the other low enough that it will never cycle off. That way they won't ever both try to start at the same time. Once it's cold enough (if that ever happens) turn one of them off.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

On our Momentum, all 3 units are controlled through the One Control. It takes a few seconds to cycle through each menu so I've never had all 3 start at the exact same moment. We ran all 3 and the refrigerator on the generator while traveling and nothing tripped, so I'm guessing there may be some sort of load management there. The One Control is the thermostat so it has the capability to start the compressor on demand.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

We don't have a One Control (thankfully ).
            Update: I took ncitro 's suggestion and so far it seems to be working OK. Total current draw seems to be around 25-26 Amps with both A/C's running. The second one starts up and cycles just fine.
            I did notice that the cord on my 30>50 dogbone does get fairly warm but the plugs themselves seem OK; just slightly warm.
            -Rob-
            -

Comment

Why thankfully? We have it and don't have any issues with it. The ability to run slides out with the phone and adjust height when hooking up are real nice conveniences.
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                Why thankfully?
                I guess I am of the generation that doesn't want to have to drag my phone out to do stuff a simple switch can do. Also have heard of stories where the OC has had a hissy fit and there were no other easy options for a particular function.
                I can see the benefits of having the OC 'as an option' to standard manual controls though.
                -

Comment

We don't have a One Control (thankfully ).
                  Update: I took ncitro 's suggestion and so far it seems to be working OK. Total current draw seems to be around 25-26 Amps with both A/C's running. The second one starts up and cycles just fine.
                  I did notice that the cord on my 30>50 dogbone does get fairly warm but the plugs themselves seem OK; just slightly warm.
                  -Rob-
                  Glad it's working for you, I've had really good luck with that approach.

As far as the adapters getting warm, I've found not all are created equal, some are definitely made better than others.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I guess I am of the generation that doesn't want to have to drag my phone out to do stuff a simple switch can do. Also have heard of stories where the OC has had a hissy fit and there were no other easy options for a particular function.
                    I can see the benefits of having the OC 'as an option' to standard manual controls though.
                    You don't have to drag your phone out to do simple stuff, it's in addition to. For example: when I'm setting up, I'll send the wife off with the kids and I can run the slides out to make sure everything is clear while doing so. Or, if my phone is dead, use the touchscreen. Or if the touchscreen is dead, use the manual switches. It's not a generational thing, it's a convenience. thing.
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

You don't have to drag your phone out to do simple stuff, it's in addition to. For example: when I'm setting up, I'll send the wife off with the kids and I can run the slides out to make sure everything is clear while doing so. Or, if my phone is dead, use the touchscreen. Or if the touchscreen is dead, use the manual switches. It's not a generational thing, it's a convenience. thing.
                      I think there's two systems they use. One has all those features in addition to the manual switches and one uses a digital canbus interface and has no manual switches. It's the latter system I believe people have had issues with, in those if the touchscreen or interface had issues it's a mess. I know Howard had a thread going comparing the systems a ways back.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I think there's two systems they use. One has all those features in addition to the manual switches and one uses a digital canbus interface and has no manual switches. It's the latter system I believe people have had issues with, in those if the touchscreen or interface had issues it's a mess. I know Howard had a thread going comparing the systems a ways back.
                        That's the way I recall it. Glad to know that they added a manual backup.
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X