Furnace smells and causes eye irritation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace smells and causes eye irritation

Our new 2021 22RBE has a smell of over heated vinyl and causes eye irritation. We have never seen any smoke. Per communication with our dealer we have run the furnace consuming 3 full 20 pound tanks. Heated camper up to 90 degrees one time but still has smell and irritation. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the smell and irritation after a reasonable run in period?
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2017 Ram 1500

Originally posted by Gd2021 View Post
    Our new 2021 22RBE has a smell of over heated vinyl and causes eye irritation. We have never seen any smoke. Per communication with our dealer we have run the furnace consuming 3 full 20 pound tanks. Heated camper up to 90 degrees one time but still has smell and irritation. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the smell and irritation after a reasonable run in period?
    That is a lot of propane and still have a problem. We ran ours for about 1 hour when new to 'burn off' the residue and smell. I would say you definitely have something in your furnace that would be concerning. Seems that it would be something that shouldn't be in there.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I agree there is something wrong with this. There could possibly be a wire that is in contact with the furnace housing. According to the layout your furnace is located under the fridge. There should be a drawer or panel there to access the furnace from the inside. You could take a look and see if there is anything that looks problematic, or call the dealer and have them do it.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for your replies. We already returned to our dealer and the removed rhe panel to check out the furnace. I had previously removed the furnace cover to see if there was any plastic stuck to the heat exchanger inside the furnace. Our dealer believes the smell is normal flash off from the plastic tanks and belly cover which is a lot of plastic. I'm not so sure so I decided to check with other owners to see if anyone else is having the same issue. We are taking it for a long ride and will see if more usage helps. It has sat unused all summer. Thanks, Jim
        2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
        2017 Ram 1500

Comment

The worst we have ever had is that burnt dust smell at start up after a long time of disuse. There should not be any any plastic tanks, belly cover, wire insulation, or other plastic close enough to the burners to generate the smell and eye irritation that your experiencing, nor should the air coming from the heat exchange be hot enough to melt the plastic or insulation. Something is wrong with the furnace or, possibly in the duct work and your dealer is just blowing smoke.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Our 25G took 5 or 6 cycles up to 90 degrees to bring the smell down to an acceptable level. Then several more regular outings before it completely abated. The main culprit was the furnace and the ducting and registers but I believe that since our unit was built in the winter none of the plastic anywhere was temperature cured until we brought it up to temp the first time. Temps at the registers was 140 at the bathroom, 130 in the kitchen, and 120 in the bedroom. That's hot enough to make a lot of stuff outgas.

Comment

IMHO there should not be enough out gassing to irritate the eyes as this would be indicative of a health issue. If the dealer suspects debris in the ductwork then the ducts need to be at least scoped if not actually clean. If the ducts are not the culprit I would be doing what I could to make there is not electrical cables or water lines in direct contact with the vents.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Were traveling now and don't see the need for heat until the end of September. We will post the results then. Thanks
                2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
                2017 Ram 1500

Comment

Glad to be back home. We used our furnace several times and I am glad to say that we had a slight smell of over heated vinyl but no eye or lung irritation. I feel like the issue was resolved by over heating and allowing time for all the plastic to cure. Thanks
                  2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
                  2017 Ram 1500

Comment

Working...
                  X