Low Profile Air Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Profile Air Conditioner

We need to replace the factory installed Furrion 14.5K BTU unit with a low profile (no higher than 11 1/4 inches) unit so our 2022 2800BH will fit into our storage area. Looking for information about which low profile units are compatible, and experiences anyone may have with those units. Thanks in advance!

Perchntd Welcome to the family and the forum!

I can't speak to your question, but somebody will stop by with some help with some wisdom.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Perchntd View Post
      We need to replace the factory installed Furrion 14.5K BTU unit with a low profile (no higher than 11 1/4 inches) unit so our 2022 2800BH will fit into our storage area. Looking for information about which low profile units are compatible, and experiences anyone may have with those units. Thanks in advance!
      There are three parts to an RV "air conditioner". There's the obvious unit on the roof, the part you see in the ceiling from inside the RV (called a "plenum", "ceiling assembly" or even other terms) and the thermostat.

All of the low profile RV air conditioner roof units will install in the standard 14 1/4" x 14 1/4" roof opening. That's not an issue.

The issues come with the ceiling assembly and the thermostat used with the roof air conditioner. These must be compatible with the roof unit. The specific issue is usually the 12vDC wiring and thermostat wiring--all manufacturers do not implement the same wiring scheme nor do they all pass 12v to the thermostat in the same manner.

Beyond that level of information it gets very specific depending on your application and what you intend to install. There are limited profile options available. To my knowledge there aren't any conversion kits available to go from Furrion to Dometic or Airxcel. (There are kits to go from Coleman or Dometic to Furrion--but that's no help.)

A couple of places to start: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach and https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...r-conditioners

Assuming you will not do this work yourself, the purpose for doing the research is so when you interview prospect installers you'll know fairly quickly if they know what they are talking about. If you get a deer-in-the-headlight look, talk to another installer.

If the option is available in a low-profile, an all-in-one (plenum and thermostat all in a ceiling unit that attaches to the air conditioner on the roof) could solve the problem without having to worry about wiring. Hopefully everyone in the family is tall enough to reach up and adjust the thermostat if you went with this option (assuming something is indeed available).

Good luck with the search and please stop back and keep the forum installed on the result.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Perchntd Howard is exactly right. I installed my front A/C myself, my rig was prepped for it, so it was just a matter of identifying the correct A/C unit, ceiling cover (this part determines if it's ducted or not) and thermostat (keep in mind if it's your main unit it needs to run your furnace as well as be compatible with your wiring).

The Furrion was not made yet when I did mine, so I bought a Coleman low profile and I've been very happy with it. I got the heat pump version which has been amazing when it's a little chilly and we have an electric site.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, I'd start by pulling your thermostat and seeing what wire goes to it. If it's a conventional five or seven wire brown thermostat wire like used in a home, you might have a chance of going with whatever you want. I fear however that Furrion uses a data cable similar to what a telephone uses. If that's true you may need to stick with a Furrion unit.

Another problem is going to be general availability. There are major supply shortages right now and last I looked they were hard to find.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions along the way.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you for the greetings and information. I will post an update with the final solution once we know what that is.

Cathy

Comment

Check out these guys. they have a good stock and if you call they can verify before ordering and over the phone they may offer a deal.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...ir+conditioner
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Perchntd ncitro FWIW I used to own a motorhome that had two Coleman Mach 8 lo pro units on the roof (is that what you have, Neil?) They worked really well, and were very quiet inside the rv, not so much outside. They are available for ducted and non ducted systems (the non ducted has the thermstat on the inside ceiling unit; ducted ones use a wall thermostat.)
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave I have the Mach 13, but I think they're similar.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X