What is the Best small cube space heater - efficiant and safe too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Best small cube space heater - efficiant and safe too

I searched the site on this, but not much came up. I was thinking about installing an electric fireplace as folks on the 220RK Facebook forum have, then I ran across all the threads on electric fireplace issues. Besides I need the space the fireplace would take up.
    So as Rob Cate&Rob mentioned I should consider a small space heater instead. The internet is full of expert advice on whats good. I have a GE small rotating cube (well is used to rotate and is now noisy) I use in the garage, but its probably 12 years old. It also keeps running if knocked over - not good. I am looking for something safe to take the chill out and not run the heater. How if you want a laugh I have yet to run the heater except in the PDI. But know on future trips it might come in handy to take the chill out of the trailer.

So what is good and safe out there? I think I want to stay with 1500W or under.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

At my shop we have used Pelonis brand in the office for many years and they have been great.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I've got one of the 1500W pelonis as well. Had it for 8 years heating the original 23' BP and using it in conjunction with the fireplace in both of the 30+ 5ers. It's not quick to heat the 5er, but it will eventually run you out of there is mid 40F temps if someone is not opening the door every 10 seconds. Once you bring all of the stuff in the unit up to temp it helps the unit to hold temp. The initial heating phase is what takes so long.

In the 23' bumper pull, after harvey we had snow and sub freezing temps at night for a couple of days, the little heater just plugged along (someone could not keep her grubby fingers off the temp knob to let it do it's job). I found that you just tweak the knob on the little heater about the width of the indicator line at a time to fine tune the temp. The temp gauge seems to stay at 25% of rotation or less.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I purchased this Pelonis heater for use in my parents sun room and it works great. Oscillation can be turned off if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/PELONIS-PH-19...s%2C65&sr=8-58

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I have two 1500W units...one from Lowes and one from Amazon, each about $25. Both have performed very well for us, and they will turn off if picked up or tipped over. They are small cubes, so not really in the way. We like the fact that they can be placed on a counter or table (in bathroom during colder camping) due to their small size. It's surprising how much heat is generated from such a small device.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

With the wide variety of choices out there please make sure they have the UL tag. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=advantage+...g+&t=h_&ia=web

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
              With the wide variety of choices out there please make sure they have the UL tag. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=advantage+...g+&t=h_&ia=web
              That is an excellent point. Thanks for saying that. So much of the selection out there does not have that.

Thanks everyone for the help
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We had our first camp with this guy this weekend and were thoroughly impressed. We were in Prescott AZ where the nighttime temps got down to just around the freezing mark, and this guy kept our 2600RB comfortable. We set it on the kitchen counter extension and configured it to oscillate between blowing warm air through the open bedroom door and into the main cabin. Only issue with this approach is that the warm air tends to congregate around the ceiling and the air on your legs is cooler. I'll try it on the floor in the same location next time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Hi Keith,

Something to consider is how tolerant you are to the noise created by different styles of space heaters. We use the small cube heaters to warm the trailer reasonably quickly, but switch to an oil filled radiant heater to silently maintain temperature. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-...54523230&psc=1

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Hi Keith,

Something to consider is how tolerant you are to the noise created by different styles of space heaters. We use the small cube heaters to warm the trailer reasonably quickly, but switch to an oil filled radiant heater to silently maintain temperature. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-...54523230&psc=1

Rob
                    Unfortunately Rob I don't think I have the space for something that big. Was looking for something that could store in the entertainment cabinet and sit on top during use.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158s.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	79742
                    As you can see not much room, If it will fit on the counter and rotate it will get to the entire living room area and migrate to the bedroom.

Thanks for the thought

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,

Agreed that storage space is a problem for the larger radiant heater. I have been looking for a smaller one. We feel that it is a much safer design to leave on (particularly with the dogs wandering about) because it gets very "warm" to the touch rather than hot like the cube heater. This works because it has so much greater heated surface area. As uwskier mentioned in post #8, these heaters are much more efficient at heating the entire space if they are placed on the floor. The heat rises naturally and if you start at counter height, the floor area will never get warm.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Hi Keith,

Rob
                        Rob. curious - where do you and Cate store this when traveling ?

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                        X