Heater system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater system

I was traveling with my girlfriend across the country in an older camper, we had a lot of problems along the way and major repairs.
    I decided to trade it in at McCain's RV in Oklahoma. We liked the look and layout of the Grand Design. I purchased a brand new one at the beginning of July 2019 and asked the dealer if I had any issues with the camper could I take it for service at any dealerships that sell Grand Design in my area in Massachusetts 1500 miles away. I was told any Grand Design dealer would take care of any problems had so I thought that was great, but didn't figure I would need anything soon.
    We were on our third day of ownership at a state campground in a canyon in New Mexico in high 30's temps and our heater started making a rapping sound extremely fast for a few seconds then we heard a big smash from the heater area. We lost the high heat blower, luckily we still had the low heat blower for the rest of the trip. Was still pretty cold but we made it through.
    After our trip back home I used the low heat while parked in the driveway to keep warm during our organization of things in the camper. During that time we lost the low heat blower fan the same way. I'm not mad that this happened, but I do want it fixed, hopefully by someone near my location in central Massachusetts.
    I have a few other things that need addressing also but I'll let the repair dealership know what they are. I've worked as a welder for over 17 years with many different metals and projects so I can understand how this cover became a problem from the factory by not being attatched. But when I attached the cover to get the heat flowing through the ducts, then the Squirrel cage busted a few hours later. That tells me the installation of the heater unit was faulty. This is a perfect time for repairs to get done while most campers are stored for the winter.
    ​​​​​​ I have a sticker on the front door of the camper that says 3 year warranty plus I purchased the 5 year extended warranty!! It's been 5 months I've own this and need help with anyone that can let me know who to call or where to bring it for the repairs would be greatly appreciated!!!! Happy holidays to all!!!
    thank you from Dave W. - Gardner Massachusetts

Hi Dave - I'd suggest you call Grand Design Customer Service to get a case number and get the repairs started. Their phone number is 574-825-9679. Make sure you have your VIN handy when you call.

The general warranty is one year, so you'll want to get the defects documented before the year is up. The three year warranty is on the structure which includes items like the walls.

It appears that McCain's RV gave you false information on getting repairs. Many dealers will NOT perform repairs on your unit if you didn't purchase it from them. It's frustrating, but that is the nature of the business. That's why it's important to call customer service, they can work with you, and might even refer you to a mobile repair company if needed.

Jim

Thank you so much Jim, I had a feeling I was being misled on the service. I'll call them.
    Last edited by Dave W; 12-02-2019, 01:13 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
    X