Coleman Mach Air Conditioner Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Mach Air Conditioner Troubleshooting

Spending the day in western Kansas, besides the wind it is also 92 degrees outside. Anyways, when we arrived at our CG, the RV interior was a nice, bug destroying 93 degrees. Turned on the main thermostat to Auto Hi Cool and set temp to 78 degrees. No matter what we did on that Coleman AC and thermostat, the temp in the main living area would drop only a couple degrees. Turned on Maxxair fan in kitchen thinking it would push hot air out, no help (don’t completely understand that fan). Note that our bedroom was getting cooler the entire time. The thermostat in the bedroom showed a reasonable 82 degrees even though it was off. Tried closing the vents in bedroom AC, then main living area AC vent, one at a time, but no change. We then turned on bedroom Coleman Mach AC using bedroom thermostat and now finally the RV is cooling off. Question is, why would bedroom AC have an affect on main area temps? Note that cold air was coming from main area ceiling vents the entire time but not really strong like it seems to be doing now. We thought the bedroom AC was only good for the bedroom? Right now, with both AC’s running, the RV is cooling off nicely. TIA for any inputs/advice.
    Elke and Heinz
    2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Is your bedroom AC ducted? Our bedroom ac is not ducted and when it is hot as it is now in SW TX we need to keep the bedroom door open and use a fan to blow the cool air to the living area
    Michael Skiba
    Reflection 367BHS
    Ford Superduty diesel

Comment

Both AC's are ducted. You may want to drop the interior cover of the rear AC to see if the chambers are split and sealed properly. The rear chamber will be the cold air out and the front chamber wlll be cabin air in if they are leaking between the two you will not get good air flow from the ceiling ducts. If the AC has the foam block air flow installed it may be installed incorrectly also causing poor air flow.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

hduring -- the video Chad and Tara from Changing Lanes put together should help with understanding what you can check yourself.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have the same issue with our 303. I've tried closing the front ducts closing the door, etc. What we found works best is to set the rear to Lo or Hi Cool (not auto) open the bedroom door, and then set the bedroom AC to Hi Cool and about 2 degrees cooler than the rear AC and they cycle about the same then. Note that in the bedroom the dump vents can blow directly on the thermostat and cause it to early cycle. Because of this, I close both dumps and one of the duct vents (forces more air into the racetrack).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            I have the same issue with our 303. I've tried closing the front ducts closing the door, etc. What we found works best is to set the rear to Lo or Hi Cool (not auto) open the bedroom door, and then set the bedroom AC to Hi Cool and about 2 degrees cooler than the rear AC and they cycle about the same then. Note that in the bedroom the dump vents can blow directly on the thermostat and cause it to early cycle. Because of this, I close both dumps and one of the duct vents (forces more air into the racetrack).
            Jlawles2 Meanwhile, we are someplace in Tennessee, and we have the two ACs cooling the RV nicely. Joseph, a couple questions: what are the dump vents, are they the AC built in vents? Sometimes at night, the bedroom AC kicks on for less than 30 seconds and then turns off, is that early cycle?

We’ll try your temp / thermostat settings and see what happens.

Elke and Heinz
            2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
            2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

hduring The dump vents are the slider openings on the front and rear of the ceiling facia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dump.png
Views:	1121
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	86819
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Both Coleman-Mach units have been working until today. When we arrived at our CG, we ran the living room unit to cool the trailer. It cycled off, but later when it came on again, we could hear the unit hum but the fan doesn’t come on when set to Hi or Lo Auto. The fan doesn’t come on when set to Fan, but does come on when the thermostat is set to Hi or Low Cool (just not Auto).

Any thoughts on why the fan would run on Hi or Lo Cool but not on Fan or Cool Auto? Thermostat issue or AC issue?
                2022 Reflection 280 RS
                2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post
                  Both Coleman-Mach units have been working until today. When we arrived at our CG, we ran the living room unit to cool the trailer. It cycled off, but later when it came on again, we could hear the unit hum but the fan doesn’t come on when set to Hi or Lo Auto. The fan doesn’t come on when set to Fan, but does come on when the thermostat is set to Hi or Low Cool (just not Auto).

Any thoughts on why the fan would run on Hi or Lo Cool but not on Fan or Cool Auto? Thermostat issue or AC issue?
                  Control box in the plenum? (Remove the filters and look at the connections.)
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Control box in the plenum? (Remove the filters and look at the connections.)
                    Nothing obvious in the connections or wiring. Everything seems to be in place.
                    2022 Reflection 280 RS
                    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Nothing obvious in the connections or wiring. Everything seems to be in place.
                      What prompted that thought was 50ST8R had a similar problem at the '22 National Rally. Neil, Brian and myself were over looking at the issue and just by slightly wiggling the wires on the control box the fan kicked on and off. If I remember right all we had to do was resecure the wires.

There is a way to move the fan control wires on the control box to see if it's the box itself (all the control box does is act like a relay). Examine the wiring closely and the designations and I think you'll see what I'm referencing (GH and GL).

Name:	image.png
Views:	412
Size:	893.0 KB
ID:	121055

CAUTION: YOUR WIRING MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM THE EXAMPLE SHOWN--VERIFY BEFORE SWAPPING ANYTHING!

Name:	image.png
Views:	384
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	121056

Another possibility is the thermostat, or wiring at the thermostat. Since the fan appears to work in other modes it (and the start/run capacitors) should be fine--those parts don't care about the specific mode.

Finally, the symptom described--was it seen just once or is the problem repeatable no matter how long between attempts? (Fan and/or capacitor could be intermittent.)

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

The exact same thing happened with our AC, and what Howard suggests is what fixed it. Before looking at the control box in the plenum I removed the t-stat and with a meter verified that the signal is being sent. It was...so....
                        I went to the plenum and the wiring looked fine. But I removed and reinstalled each one to verify a good connection anyway. After which it works fine. I have to think that one of the connections, while looking good, was in fact a poor connection.
                        *****Actually I didn't remove ALL the wires. One was so darn snug I couldn't pull it off by hand so I used needle nose pliers and just wiggled it for a bit to make sure it had a clean connection. It was taking SOOO much force to remove that I figured I would damage the board trying to pull any harder.*****
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

There are three wire connections to the board along with the large bundle. Pulled and replaced, but no change. It’s not intermittent. No fan on Fan or Auto settings.

looking at the operation chart for the AIRXCEL thermostat, it looks like the the gray and green wires are energized for Fan, Cool, and Auto. So if the fan works on Cool, then wouldn’t the problem likely be with the control board in the plenum?
                          2022 Reflection 280 RS
                          2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

There are three wire connections to the board along with the large bundle. Pulled and replaced, but no change. It’s not intermittent. No fan on Fan or Auto settings.

looking at the operation chart for the AIRXCEL thermostat, it looks like the the gray and green wires are energized for Fan, Cool, and Auto. So if the fan works on Cool, then wouldn’t the problem likely be with the control board in the plenum?
                            Sorry...I'm not following the symptoms very well. Is the list below correct?

Fan Low = bad
                            Fan High = bad
                            Cool Low = good
                            Cool High = good
                            Cool Low Auto = bad
                            Cool High Auto = bad

Howard & Francine

Comment

Since you have TWO A/C units you probably have TWO Thermostats. It is so easy to just take these off the wall and swap them and see whether the problem follows the thermostat or stays with the A/C unit. Make sure you take pictures of the wires going into the thermostats before moving them.

Yours is an interesting problem since the thermostat controls power to the fan and there isn't a separate wire for Fan High, Cool High, or Cool High Auto. It is the SAME wire for all three settings. So my bet is on the thermostat not energizing the fan wire in two of the three settings.
                              Pat and Karen
                              2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Working...
                              X