Coleman Mach Air Conditioner Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Sorry...I'm not following the symptoms very well. Is the list below correct?

Fan Low = bad
    Fan High = bad
    Cool Low = good
    Cool High = good
    Cool Low Auto = bad
    Cool High Auto = bad
    That’s correct.
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

Since you have TWO A/C units you probably have TWO Thermostats. It is so easy to just take these off the wall and swap them and see whether the problem follows the thermostat or stays with the A/C unit. Make sure you take pictures of the wires going into the thermostats before moving them.

Yours is an interesting problem since the thermostat controls power to the fan and there isn't a separate wire for Fan High, Cool High, or Cool High Auto. It is the SAME wire for all three settings. So my bet is on the thermostat not energizing the fan wire in two of the three settings.
      Would they still be interchangeable to diagnose since the bedroom is a Cool Only model?
      2022 Reflection 280 RS
      2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

BR549

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? I'm out shopping w/the DW but when I get back to the camper I can do some baseline measurements if it will help.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

BR549 -- disregard post 18. I just tried to take some measurements and it's a lot harder than I anticipated. The leads I have with me won't work--a specialized lead (with super small and sharp probes) are required.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post
            ...wouldn’t the problem likely be with the control board in the plenum?
            I don't know. The failure mode doesn't make sense. The report that the issue is repeatable is befuddling.

What I did see (on my control box) is that there are two white wires going into the B- plug. These are the -12v returns (aka "ground"). Long shot, but I'd pull that connector and install a new end, recrimping to ensure it's good. I can't fully explain the rationale, but I can't make sense out of the failure reported. (Sorry!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	185
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	121089

Swapping thermostats is an option, but the bedroom likely is a different model that does not have furnace (heat) capability.

If you're really up for a challenge, swap the control box between the air conditioners. That should answer the question if it's the box or not. I can't think of any other option at this point.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't know. The failure mode doesn't make sense. The report that the issue is repeatable is befuddling.

What I did see (on my control box) is that there are two white wires going into the B- plug. These are the -12v returns (aka "ground"). Long shot, but I'd pull that connector and install a new end, recrimping to ensure it's good. I can't fully explain the rationale, but I can't make sense out of the failure reported. (Sorry!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	185
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	121089

Swapping thermostats is an option, but the bedroom likely is a different model that does not have furnace (heat) capability.

If you're really up for a challenge, swap the control box between the air conditioners. That should answer the question if it's the box or not. I can't think of any other option at this point.

Thank you for taking your time to look at the issue. It seems that if the fault was in the thermostat the fan would come on with Fan Hi and Low as it does with Cool Hi and Lo. I may try the swap before we leave for home.

Thanks again.
              2022 Reflection 280 RS
              2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post

Would they still be interchangeable to diagnose since the bedroom is a Cool Only model?
                You can still do the temporary swap using the bedroom (Cool Only) thermostat in placed of the living room (Cool and Furnace) thermostat. After the swap you won't plug in the WHITE wire anywhere since it provides the furnace power. You don't have to mount the thermostat. You'll just have it hanging there with all wires except the White one installed. Then run through all of your Fan settings and see which settings the fan will come on with.

As you can tell by all the comments your failure mode doesn't make sense to most of us who know how it SHOULD work or SHOULD fail. The failure mode doesn't make sense electrically so that's why I think something inside the circuit board of the thermostat has failed - we can't see all of those connections.
                Pat and Karen
                2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Thanks, all. Since it’s still in the 24 month warranty from Coleman Hach, I’ve decided to forego swapping thermostats and look for a service center where I can have it checked. If I can get it into a shop, I’ll let you know what they find.
                  2022 Reflection 280 RS
                  2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

The result is in.
                    Thermostat replaced under warranty.
                    2022 Reflection 280 RS
                    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Working...
                    X