Coleman Mach AC Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Mach AC Filter

Has anyone replaced the OEM filters in their ac units? We are full-time and wash ours regularly but am beginning to question how long they will last. I have found several options for replacement filters but they appear to be substantially thicker. With the extra thickness of the replacements I imagine they would do a much better job of filtering dust and dirt out but question whether that will have an undesirable effect on the airflow and cooling of the unit. Anyone have any experience with replacements?
    Scott & Mikaela
    2022 375 RES
    2020 F-350 DRW

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
    Has anyone replaced the OEM filters in their ac units? We are full-time and wash ours regularly but am beginning to question how long they will last. I have found several options for replacement filters but they appear to be substantially thicker. With the extra thickness of the replacements I imagine they would do a much better job of filtering dust and dirt out but question whether that will have an undesirable effect on the airflow and cooling of the unit. Anyone have any experience with replacements?
    Only thread I can remember is this one where they changed it in a Furrion. Spoiler alert: it didn't go well. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-media-upgrade
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Only thread I can remember is this one where they changed it in a Furrion. Spoiler alert: it didn't go well. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-media-upgrade
      Thank you!! I was afraid of that issue. Guess I’ll stick with the OEM replacements.
      Scott & Mikaela
      2022 375 RES
      2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
        We have a Honeywell HEPA air filter. It has a pre-filter. We take a single sheet of the pre-filter and I cut it to replace the OEM filters in our two AC units.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2407.jpg Views:	14 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	97188 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2406.jpg Views:	13 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	97189 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2408.jpg Views:	15 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	97190
        Last edited by pengle; 10-15-2022, 11:19 AM.
        Pat and Karen
        2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

I haven't used these but they are on my list of filters I think I would change to.

Comment

Originally posted by plastictires View Post
            I haven't used these but they are on my list of filters I think I would change to.
            SO...
            The RVAir filters come out to $11 per side of the Air Conditioner.
            The "Honeywell" filters cost $23 for a pack of 4 pieces ((17" x 14") and I can get 8 sides out of those 4 pieces for a cost of $3 per side.
            It DOES take me about a minute to cut each one. I have one of the old OEM plastic filters as a template and just cut around it.
            Pat and Karen
            2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Many folks do not realize that the air conditioner is designed around the OEM filters where a certain airflow is needed to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. Not sure if there is a MERV rating on the OEM filters but it would be best to stay close to the rating of the original filter element.

As the MERV rating increases, so does the resistance in airflow.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...at-merv-rating

https://www.airfilterusa.com/resourc...ssure-drop-faq

Todays high MERV rated residential filters are pleated to maintain a low pressure drop and will not cause issues in general with airflow. The RV has no space for such a filter so a tightly formed filter will reduce airflow in most cases.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X