Electric or gas for water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric or gas for water heater

I am wondering about the cost efficiency of electric vs gas for the water heater. I would rather use electric because of the noise, both inside and outside, when the gas burner is used. But I’m concerned that using electric will be more expensive than gas. Home water heaters all seem to be gas so I assume that is the more efficient method but if electric is close to the same cost, I would rather have the quiet operation.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

I think that would depend on the price of both in your area. I have read where some use one or the other because of price. Also you may have to travel for gas refills if the campground does not have the facilities for filling propane tanks.

The electric is quieter but we have used both for showering.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Electric while plugged into the home may still be cheaper than propane. We used to be on propane at our previous home until NG came along. There were times the propane was so expensive to those that did not pre-buy (we did fortunately), it was cheaper to run electric heaters in the home. This didn't happen very often but once folks resorted to electric heat, the price of propane quickly dropped. Also keep in mind, to fill an RV size tank will cost more than filling a 500 gallon residential tank on a per gallon basis which further leans toward electric based on this experience.

So the point is, most likely its cheaper to run the HWH on electric since they are well insulated and consume most energy when in use such as showering.

For a precise answer, an energy calculation would be needed to determine the cost per btu and how much energy is being used.

1Kwh = 3412 BTU

1lb propane = 25,294 BTU There are correction factors on propane to 60F as well.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

At my seasonal site I don't pay for electric so it make sense for me to only use electric.
        2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
        2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

You would have to do the math (as Guest Jim describes) but it is not a direct comparison. All the electric heat goes into the water. A lot of the gas heat goes out the exhaust. Maybe 75% goes into the water? . . . just a guess.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I ran the electric in the previous 5er to minimize having to fill bottles. I the TT, I ran gas when "off grid ish" at the lease only b/c we running generators. As long as the A/C was on (most of hunting season) I ran the HWH on electric since it was already hooked to the gen.

When traveling, I ran both for showers as combined the recovery rate was about 17 GPH vs the individual rates for either. Gas recovery rate is also a lot faster than electric recovery.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

For a precise answer, an energy calculation would be needed to determine the cost per btu and how much energy is being used.

1Kwh = 3412 BTU

1lb propane = 25,294 BTU There are correction factors on propane to 60F as well.

Jim
              Ok I’m not sure I can do the math to find how much it costs to run the water heater. I know my electric and gas costs but I’m not sure how to calculate how much is used to operate the water heater. Can you or someone do an example calculation?

Bob
              Last edited by bogen2; 12-22-2022, 09:40 AM.
              2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Bob,

First you need a few measurements in how long the HWH is heating over time. Direct use and cyclic use to maintain temperature.
                Then the BTU rating of the HWH in Electric and Gas is needed for an approximation.

On a per tank basis for an approximation:

Gallon of propane x 91502 = BTU/Gal

A 20lb tank is 4.6 gallons. So total BTU/per tank is 91502 X 4.6 = 420909 BTU = 123.4 Kwh

Divide 420909 by the HWH BTU to get total hours per tank. For example if the HWH is 10K BTU this would give 42 hours of use per 20lb tank.

Clearing up a little language.......So on a per tank basis, you can compare the cost of propane to the cost of Kwh on your electric bill.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jim, that helps a lot. Here is what I found for my rig.

Atwood 6 gal HWH - 8800 btu
                  420909 / 8800 = 47 hours operating time for 4.6 gallons propane or 123.4 KWh
                  4.6 x 3.30\gallon = $15.18
                  123.4 x 10.8 cents/kWh = $13.32

So if I did the math right, it appears that electric is slightly cheaper. It’s also a lot quieter and I don’t have to deal with filling tanks as often. Clearly a win for electric! Thanks for the help.

Bob
                  2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Even more of a "win" for electric when you consider the wasted heat in the exhaust when using propane.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My last camper was gas only and it was only 6 gallon and didn't seem to use much, but I turned it off when we didn't need it on. Yes a lot of heat goes straight out, I'm glad the new one has gas and electric, best of both!
                      Current: 22" Momentum 381MS, 2020 F350 Dually 6.7 diesel, 4.10 rear 32k Reese 5th wheel hitch
                      In the past: 22' Momentum 21G, 21' F150 XLT Screw 5.0 w 3.73, Andersen Hitch
                      Q7 Diesel, 22" Ozark THX 1900. 11' F350 Crew, King Ranch, 8' bed, dully, 08' Weekend Warrior LED 3505 triple axle 5th wheel. 04' F250 diesel, 05' Keystone tailgater with old Reese WD hitch, no sway control

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                        I am wondering about the cost efficiency of electric vs gas for the water heater. I would rather use electric because of the noise, both inside and outside, when the gas burner is used. But I’m concerned that using electric will be more expensive than gas. Home water heaters all seem to be gas so I assume that is the more efficient method but if electric is close to the same cost, I would rather have the quiet operation.

Bob
                        I don’t know for sure but I can’t imagine the difference would be huge.
                        Dave and Sue
                        2020 GD 2250RK
                        2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                        GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                        SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I have a 2021 Grand Design Transend and I have it plugged in at the rv park, I turned on my Electric switch for my water heater and it's not heating the water, but when I turn it off and turn the gas on, it does heat the water up...any suggestions on the electric water heater..HELP PLEASE!!

Comment

Sandieheath

Welcome to our owners technical forum.

Check that the water heater breaker in the main panel is turned on and that the water heater cord is plugged into the nearby outlet.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sandieheath - In 2021, GDRV was experiencing lots of supply chain issues due to the pandemic. So they frequently swapped components such as water heater models. Some water heaters have a switch on the water heater itself that must be flipped on before you can use electric heating. If this is the case on your unit, not only will you have to flip the switch inside the RV, but also on the water heater itself. So take a good look at your water heater for a toggle switch and turn it on if it's equipped with one. Hint: Sometimes the switch is not easy to see because it may be slightly hidden behind a propane line, etc. If you do have the switch on the water heater, you can turn it on and leave it. Then just control off and on by the inside switch.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X