My Nautilus Replacement Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Nautilus Replacement Project

Hey everyone, I am following the foot steps of those who have replaced their Nautilus panel. Big thanks to bogen2 for his post and those of you who commented in that thread. I will try to post my pictures after I am done.

I am almost there, with one small question: is there any reason to add a check valve immediately behind my city water connection? My replacement has an on/off valve, so no concerns about pumping water out of the city water connection. (Don't worry, my black tank connection has a check valve!)
    Matt, Mercedes, and Sabrina the dog.
    2017 Grand Design 303RLS
    2017 F-250 diesel

One advantage to no check valve while connected to city water, heated water has some place to go and the expanding water will not overpressure your system as long as the on/off valve is 'on' , open.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by MnMRV View Post
      Hey everyone, I am following the foot steps of those who have replaced their Nautilus panel. Big thanks to bogen2 for his post and those of you who commented in that thread. I will try to post my pictures after I am done.

I am almost there, with one small question: is there any reason to add a check valve immediately behind my city water connection? My replacement has an on/off valve, so no concerns about pumping water out of the city water connection. (Don't worry, my black tank connection has a check valve!)
      When using the pump (and water from the fresh water tank), without that check valve the pump will shoot water out the city water inlet.

Look carefully at the diagram below. (For more info on all the configurations see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...el-information )

The yellow diamond is a "check valve". Normally water stops here as it can't flow against that valve (thus why the diagram does not show water flowing in that direction when on the pump). Remove that check valve and you can see how the water will travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	105181

Ironically, your black water connection should not have a check valve on the inlet. The only valve should be the "atmospheric" valve as originally configured. When the hose is disconnected from the black flush line it is normal (and expected--desired!) to have fresh water flow back out the inlet.

Name:	Black Flush Diagram.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	105182

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson, only if the pump pressure is higher than city water pressure. Note in the description he has installed an on/off valve in place of the check valve. Just need to remember to turn the valve 'off' when using the pump without city water connected.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

One of the advantages of the manifold valve design is it eliminates the need for a check valve in the city inlet connection as well as the water heater.

Bob
          2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
          2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ironically, your black water connection should not have a check valve on the inlet. The only valve should be the "atmospheric" valve as originally configured. When the hose is disconnected from the black flush line it is normal (and expected--desired!) to have fresh water flow back out the inlet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Black Flush Diagram.jpg Views:	40 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	105182

Howard
            I'm confused. It is my understanding that a check valve is required so that there is no chance of anything flowing from the black tank into the fresh water supply.

Is this showing that there is one further up the line (i.e., not at the panel and I would know if I messed with it)? This is because, if it were at the inlet, water would get trapped in the hose to the black tank?
            2017 Grand Design 303RLS
            2017 F-250 diesel

Comment

The installed vacuum breaker/check valve allows water to drain both to the black tank and to the water inlet on the panel thereby breaking possible siphoning of black tank water back to the panel inlet. There is no check valve in the panel water inlet. That lack of check valve allows water to run out, draining the line.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I'm confused. It is my understanding that a check valve is required so that there is no chance of anything flowing from the black tank into the fresh water supply.

Is this showing that there is one further up the line (i.e., not at the panel and I would know if I messed with it)? This is because, if it were at the inlet, water would get trapped in the hose to the black tank?
                There is a built in check valve on the tank side of the atmospheric breaker that does not allow any of the black tank stuff to return to the fresh water hook up on the panel. Other than that it operates as TedS descirbes above.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

bogen2 and TedS

Thanks for the inputs and clarification about how the modified panel works -- I learned something! (That's always good.) Makes me wish I'd done the full-fledged upgrade when I rebuilt my Nautilus panel.​

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Cool, add the check valve to my large pile of stuff to return to Lowe's.

I guess I should go ahead and share my other planned changes to make sure I am not making any other mistakes: (1) replacing the fitting for the black tank - turns out this only involves the 1/2 barb to garden hose; (2) using a hose connection with a valve and omitting the ball valve above the city water in; (3) I used the linked manifold to connect the panel, pump out, water heater in, and cold water to inside.

Then, here is my new, half-baked idea: I was thinking about putting small acrylic sheet "splash guards" around the top and left side of the city water hose connection to keep any loose hose connections from spraying everywhere in the wet bay. Anyone done that or something similar before?
                    The copper crimp multi-port tee by SharkBite minimizes the risk of leaks by eliminating excess connection points. Find out more about the multi-port tee.
                    2017 Grand Design 303RLS
                    2017 F-250 diesel

Comment

I got everything hooked up. Well, all the plumbing anyway.

I didn't take good enough photos or notes to remember which wire goes where on the pump switch and don't feel like going out there with the voltmeter at this point. I will take it for today.
                      2017 Grand Design 303RLS
                      2017 F-250 diesel

Comment

I got everything hooked up. Well, all the plumbing anyway.

I didn't take good enough photos or notes to remember which wire goes where on the pump switch and don't feel like going out there with the voltmeter at this point. I will take it for today.
                        If your setup is like the one on my 315RLTS it's a three-way switch (pump can be turned on from the Convenience Panel, too) so take care hooking it back up. If I remember right GD used a white wire (typically -12vDC return) as the alternate hot input(!). Thankfully I caught it before having to chase down a blown fuse.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Name:	20201212_101753.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	105328

MnMRV

Here is a picture of my wiring, you may need to zoom in to see the wire colours.

Hope this helps you.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This from B&B repair manual. Sort of clear.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks! I actually had a photo, I just couldn't decide if the spot labeled "1" on the switch was at the top or bottom. I thought about it more this morning and realized as long as I knew the middle position, I was good. My photo showed me that. So, pump is up and running! No leaks!!

The water pressure seems a bit low from the pump, even after letting the faucet run for ~10 minutes. It continues sputtering with air bubbles. I will investigate more later.
                              2017 Grand Design 303RLS
                              2017 F-250 diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X