Toilet Foot Valve Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Foot Valve Issue

Have the Thetford Model 42070 Style II High White Tray toilets in the rv but have had issues with both of them. Latest issue is the foot valve on one of the toilets will erratically work/not work to shut off the water flow which supposedly replacing the foot valve mechanism will fix, but after watching a couple of YouTube videos on how to do it and seeing comments from others that it might be a problem design am considering just replacing the toilets with a better model/brand.
    Local rv repair person has recommended the Dometic 310, have seen posts with recommendations for both brands - but would appreciate additional feedback.
    Goal is a toilet that's reliable, easy to maintain, and doesn't cost a fortune - if such a thing exists?
    Thank you in advance for feedback!
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Have you seen this recent thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-for-a-310gk

Brandons32 's been on the hunt for a replacement, too.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I did see that thread and have been looking at the Dometic 320. Seems like Dometic & Thetford are the main brands, are there any others to consider?
      Like the looks & style of the Thetford, but the headaches haven't been fun?
      Next week will be my sewer side of things focus, dump valve on the forward black tank stuck in the open position so going to do a thorough flush and repair the valve - I'm still working full-time so hired a local mobile repair person to do the heavy lifting and I'll be the assistant as needed. Says he runs a 2000 psi pressure hose into the tank to flush everything out before pulling the valve off and I was thinking after he did that I'd replace the toilet while he did the valve.
      Thankfully I've been adding in-line shutoff valves on the water supply side of things as part of replacing the soft supply hose so am able to operate the toilet manually.
      Never a dull moment!
      Chris
      2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Hi Chris,

The Thetford pedal actuates several different things that have to be in the correct pedal cavities. The pedal can be snapped into place without everything in the right places . . . ask me how I know this . I had ours apart several times shortly after we got the trailer, but once I got misc construction shavings out of the valves and the pedal installed correctly it has been trouble free other than needing grease on the main ball valve seal as a maintenance item.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

First Dometic 320 didn't have all the right parts in the box so after contacting the Dometic Tech Support line returned it on and got a replacement.
          Received and installed the replacement today and so far no leaks.
          Couple of notes:
          Water supply line will need to be move about 3.5" horizontally - I'm still replacing all the Flex lines with PEX so had all the components to modify where the water supply attached. It's really nice having spare fittings and such on hand, but if you don't make sure you're prepared to make modifications?
          Still like the look of the Thetford, but after doing my research with several sources chose the Dometic for its ease of maintenance/repair over the issue of needing to get multiple components in exactly the right place - time will tell if this was the right choice?
          Will update when I have a bit of time with the new toilet.
          Chris
          2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Hi Chris,

The Thetford pedal actuates several different things that have to be in the correct pedal cavities. The pedal can be snapped into place without everything in the right places . . . ask me how I know this . I had ours apart several times shortly after we got the trailer, but once I got misc construction shavings out of the valves and the pedal installed correctly it has been trouble free other than needing grease on the main ball valve seal as a maintenance item.

Rob
            How and what did you use to grease the main ball valve??

I'm not a big fan of the Thetford as in my previous trailer the foot lever fell off after normal use. I guess it was not fully seated at the factory and after a few years of use the small hole where the spring seated into the foot lever was enlarged and would not allow the lever to be re-used. The replacement lever cost about 50% of what I found the entire toilet for, so I ended up just replacing the toilet.

My point is: be very careful when repairing the valve in removing and replacing the foot valve. The more you remove/replace the lever the more wear you will induce where the spring seats.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

To grease the main ball valve I use Vaseline.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

How and what did you use to grease the main ball valve??.
                I use silicone lubricant intended for water valves and faucets. It comes in small quantities in the plumbing section of Home Depot or similar and is rather expensive. (I have never been able to find larger quantities). Turn off the water, open the ball valve and apply a light film of the silicone grease to the seal.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I use silicone lubricant intended for water valves and faucets. It comes in small quantities in the plumbing section of Home Depot or similar and is rather expensive. (I have never been able to find larger quantities). Turn off the water, open the ball valve and apply a light film of the silicone grease to the seal.

Rob
                  Yes, I have some. Believe it's called plumber's grease. Don't know why but I've never done this before, but makes sense.

I'm sure Vaseline would work. Just might have to apply it a little more often.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

First time someone mentioned "plumbers grease" on YouTube when I was researching whether to repair or replace the Thetford toilet I thought it was something made up or the person was in need of therapy..... then it turned out it's a real thing.

Have the replacement Dometic installed now in the main bathroom, bunkhouse toilet is still the Thetford that isn't leaking past the foot valve - but from what I've found it's just a matter of time until it does.
                    Dometic has a nicer foot valve assembly from the mechanical aspect that should be easy enough to service and overall seems well made and I like the lip to keep "splash" in the bowl but the water flow during flushing isn't great. They have holes around the rim to supposedly increase the flow but I keep the water pressure at 40 psi and the only way the toilet will work as advertised would be to turn the pressure to probably 60 psi - and I'm just not comfortable with that.
                    Thetford in the bunkhouse has a better water flow characteristic at 40 psi and I like the foot pedal ergonomics better, but the mechanical aspects aren't great.

With less than a week with the Dometic, if I had it to do over again I'd stay with the Thetford and deal with the foot valve issue - maybe time will change my mind?
                    Chris
                    2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Lonestar

Be cautious with “plumbers grease” . . . some is specifically labeled with a caution NOT to use it on O rings and seals. The smaller containers of silicone grease are labeled for O rings and seals.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Waterproof silicone grease is not cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2KSNWHH...NrPXRydWU&th=1
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Lonestar

Be cautious with “plumbers grease” . . . some is specifically labeled with a caution NOT to use it on O rings and seals. The smaller containers of silicone grease are labeled for O rings and seals.

Rob
                          I did not know that. This is the only brand I've ever used, and I see it is no longer stocked:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GUNK-Gunk-P...Grease/3350380

It looks like Petroleum based formula​ products are not recommended on O rings like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-1-...0620/203489444

So would that rule out Vaseline?
                          Last edited by Lonestar; 03-03-2023, 06:12 PM.
                          2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Well.... Puddy Taters!!.... put a bit of the "plumbers grease on the floor seal to make sure everything sealed when I installed the Dometic toilet.
                            And I just grabbed the stuff from the local Ace Hardware in Florence AZ - what do you want to bet the "house" Ace brand isn't for seals & O Rings???
                            Hopefully things will hold up for a few weeks - am off to Mexico this next week and then heading for WA state late March.
                            At least I'm hearing about this potential issue before flushing the toilet sometime in the future and wondering where the water came from?
                            Chris
                            2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

I have used food grade silicon grease on many an o-ring. Just put some on the toilet ball valves.
                              https://haynesmfg.com/products/hayne...ease-4-oz-tube

There is also Magic Lube for pools. Pool stores should have tubes available. There are two flavors: Silicon and PTFE.
                              https://www.poolzoom.com/magic-lube-...lubricant.html

AZ should have LOTS of pool stores.

Steve
                              2022 Momentum 381MS
                              2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
                              Reese Elite 27K Puck System
                              Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Comment

Working...
                              X