Freezing temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing temps

I am on record on this forum saying that RV plumbing can handle a "soft freeze" and be ok. It is an opinion. However, since returning from Phoenix this year I had to park the 303 away from home because of ice on our driveway. Then the temps plummeted. So for the last few days the trailer has endured freezing temps of around -7*C. A couple days after the freezing temps showed up, I hooked up 120vac and turned on the water heater. In a week or so...depending on the weather......I'll let everybody know how the plumbing endured the freeze. In a couple days the forecast is another 15cm-6" of snow.....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Ouch - good luck!
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

We had ours freeze after a day of ~10-20 degrees F this past winter when the heater stopped*. I got an alarm, but took me that long to get back. A day or so running the heater and a couple of electric heaters in utility area, and it came back fine. I'm assuming HWH & tanks were not frozen, but who knows.

* It appears the heater stopped when it switched between propane tanks, possibly related to tanks being so cold, as well. Cycled the heater thermostat off and back on, and it started right up. Argh.
      Mark & Kim Donnell
      Donnells On The Road!
      Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
      '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
      Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
      https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

Originally posted by Madonnell View Post
        We had ours freeze after a day of ~10-20 degrees F this past winter when the heater stopped*. I got an alarm, but took me that long to get back. A day or so running the heater and a couple of electric heaters in utility area, and it came back fine. I'm assuming HWH & tanks were not frozen, but who knows.

* It appears the heater stopped when it switched between propane tanks, possibly related to tanks being so cold, as well. Cycled the heater thermostat off and back on, and it started right up. Argh.
        Good to hear. Hopefully All will be good with ours once the temps warm up.

Comment

Well, today I went through the plumbing. Got home April 9th and a couple days later the temps dropped and stayed down until a couple days ago. Forecast is to stay above zero so I added some water to the fresh tank and tried out the water system. Glad to report that after being frozen for about three weeks ranging from -2*C to -9*C.... no ill effects. Pumps works, taps are fine, no leaks detected.
          I'm a happy camper

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Well, today I went through the plumbing. Got home April 9th and a couple days later the temps dropped and stayed down until a couple days ago. Forecast is to stay above zero so I added some water to the fresh tank and tried out the water system. Glad to report that after being frozen for about three weeks ranging from -2*C to -9*C.... no ill effects. Pumps works, taps are fine, no leaks detected.
            I'm a happy camper
            Scott - great to hear. Unbelievable though!
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Working...
            X