Water heater intermittently working on electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater intermittently working on electric

We have a 2022 Imagine 2800BH with a Dometic 6gal water heater. On our recent weekend trip, we had intermittent hot water using the electric heater. In the morning, we had plenty of hot water. By the time we did the breakfast dishes (we didn't use 6 gallons of water), we had nothing but cold water until the next morning. The electric heater clearly works since we had hot water two mornings in a row, but we can't figure out why it is taking so long to heat up the water. This seems like something is tripping an emergency shut-off due to overheating, but don't want to speculate. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

gbglaser I agree it sounds like one of the overtemp sensors is tripping. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? If so I would watch the voltage across the element and see if its cutting in and out. There is a thermal fuse that can sometimes get corroded and cause intermittent contact, you could pull the wires off and clean it up.

Also just for good measure check that your outside shower knobs are turned off. If they are left on without the hose connected then water will not be coming out, but the hot and cold mix causing a lack of hot water. That would not be intermittent, so is probably not your issue but it is worth checking.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks ncitro, I’ll give that a try.
      2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
      2018 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Working...
      X