Leaking low point drain, GD 344GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking low point drain, GD 344GK

Good evening! We have a 2020 Solitude Grand Design 344ST344GK that has developed a leak at the low point drain. The low point drains are in the “water closet” to the right of the Nautilus system (see photo)
    Originally it was the cold drain that was leaking. On the advice of our local RV shop (who told us this was a chronic issue with these valves), we have opted to add two exterior ball valves (see photo) rather than replacing the plastic ones used by GD (new ones are expensive to put in and evidently have no greater longevity).
    We now have a leak at the GD hot valve (see photo), no matter if it’s in an open or closed position. It’s not terrible but we hate to waste the water. Any advice would be most appreciated, TIA!

IntlSpud -- put a valve on the hot side, mirroring what was done on the cold side.

The downside to this is if you're camping in very cold weather both the cold and hot lines will be much more susceptible to freezing. If camping in cold weather is not an issue--the new valves will work.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here is a thread that might be of interest GD Solitude 337MBS low point drain part number - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks to you both! Howson, we did put an exterior ball valve on the hot low point drain (it’s hard to see in my photo) and that’s when the hot one started to drip…? Country Campers, thanks for the link. Folks mention replacing the O ring, have either of you ever done that?

Comment

Originally posted by IntlSpud View Post
          Thanks to you both! Howson, we did put an exterior ball valve on the hot low point drain (it’s hard to see in my photo) and that’s when the hot one started to drip…? Country Campers, thanks for the link. Folks mention replacing the O ring, have either of you ever done that?
          I have not replaced the o-rings, I do not have those types of valves. Post that question in the thread linked above and tag one of the members that mentioned replacing the o-rings. To tag use the @ symbol like this, IntlSpud. The Welcome Letter will help you along the way here.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

IntlSpud I'm going to guess by the picture that the valve is leaking around the body where the plug goes through not bypassing and dripping out the bottom. If this is the case, you are stuck trying to figure out how to release the plug (inner portion) of the valve from the body. The black cap on the non handle side is most likely the key to the system. If it's fusion or chemically welded to the plug you are up the creek without the paddle and a hole in the boat, if it's a christmas tree type of plug (https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/x-...lips-s/156.htm) then applying slight pressure and holding said pressure is usually the key to getting them out. once the black plug is removed, the plug is probably easily removed out the other end by gently twisting while pulling on the handle.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Not sure if you can get behind the wall easily, to the other side of those OEM valves, but I would be tempted to see if I could get to the other side of those valves and remove them. If the pipe going into those valves is PEX, should be fairly easy to remove them and just put in an elbow piece. You've already added an additional valve at the low point on the exterior, so they are now redundant, other than the cold weather situation howson highlighted. Just a thought
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thank you all for your help! My husband went behind the wall and removed the junky original plastic valves. We now just have the low points on the outside, proper ones from the hardware store, no more plastic!

Comment

Working...
                X