Spare Plumbing Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Plumbing Vent

Looking to carry a spare vent seeing as I see a number of posts on here and elsewhere about sewer smell when they fail.
    Is this a quality and correct spare to carry?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Studor-20349-R...43&sr=8-1&th=1
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Hi Scott,

That is a quality AAV. You won’t need the ABS part, the AAV will directly replace the original part.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob. I'll order one up.
      2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott, I purchased mine at Home Depot locally. They were in stock. I might not want to keep one in the trailer due to the excessive temps that may be leading to the seals failing. As they seem to be readily available, should you find a failure of the white Studor (assuming you have replaced the Black factory ones) finding one while traveling or ordering and having shipped to the current residence (AKA Campground) should not be too difficult.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0353/203111264 local HD has 9 in stock. The next closest does not have any, but the next one after that has 4.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Piling on to Joseph's post above, consider replacing the OEM AAVs with the Studor version before they fail. (My aircraft maintenance background makes me think like this, thus it's what I did to my 315RLTS.)

Pick the Studors up next time you're in the big box store--no need for a special trip. Actual replacement shouldn't take 10 minutes once you have the part on hand.

If there's been a post here about a Studor failing I don't remember it, so once done you can press on without worrying about a stinky AAV.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Scott'n'Wendy

Piling on to Joseph's post above, consider replacing the OEM AAVs with the Studor version before they fail. (My aircraft maintenance background makes me think like this, thus it's what I did to my 315RLTS.)
            I may do that but if it's just a small job to change on the fly...it looks like screw off the old one and screw on the new?
            I notice you said AAV's..plural. How many are in a trailer? I know there is one in the kitchen island. Where else should I look? And are they all the same?

Oh, Jlawles2 , Home depot USA carries them, Home depot Canada doesn't seem to.... so I was going to go the Amazon route. I'm often in the USA but don't plan to be again until next year.
            2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

There should be one at the kitchen sink and one at the bathroom sink. The bath one may be hard to get to as the cabinet area is pretty tight.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

I have purchased these at Home Depot Canada. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/oat...abs/1000129763

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob
                  I saw those but never saw anybody post about using them so wasn't sure if they were any good. The reviews do look good though. I'll probably go to HD seeing as it is a good price and I like to try and buy local whenever I can.....otherwise we will lose all our stores!
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott,

Try to stick with the ones that are the same diameter or smaller than the threaded connector. In our bath vanity, it is close to the wall and if it were larger than the fitting I would not be able to get it in place.

Also check to see if yours are tight. Ours were barely finger tight (2 finger on weak hand upside down and backwards) with no sealing compound. I would not be surprised if this was the reason the smell.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Scott,
                      Also check to see if yours are tight. Ours were barely finger tight (2 finger on weak hand upside down and backwards) with no sealing compound. I would not be surprised if this was the reason the smell.
                      I read somewhere recently about a plumber saying using teflon tape on an AAV is a must. Otherwise odour can seep out through the threads. Sounds like what you are saying.

The Oatey AAV referenced by Rob fits with your your advice, it is not larger than the pipe dia.
                      Thanks Joseph. Seeing as we both have 2021 303RLS units....I'll bet our bathroom AAV access is similar.
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott, As you can see we picked ours up in March of 2021. When we went in to purchase it was still at the factory waiting on assembly. In Fact the VIN had just been created. Luckily we got it about 5 weeks later. Only sat on the lot for a few days.

Do you know when your unit was built? Be interested to see if you find any of the similarities in construction that I have found. BTW, if you have not done it, you need to pull the drawers out of the island and add a brace along the bottom to keep the island from potential failure. The island is build for weight not strength. The face frame holds the counter top and drawers up. The right side where the drawers are located is actually held up by 23 gauge crown nails to 1/8" paneling. If the paneling does not fail, the staples will putting all the load on the face frame nails. When that happens, the bottom MDF can split letting the island drop on that one end.

See post #8 https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...solitude-310gk
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Scott, As you can see we picked ours up in March of 2021. When we went in to purchase it was still at the factory waiting on assembly. In Fact the VIN had just been created. Luckily we got it about 5 weeks later. Only sat on the lot for a few days.

Do you know when your unit was built? Be interested to see if you find any of the similarities in construction that I have found. BTW, if you have not done it, you need to pull the drawers out of the island and add a brace along the bottom to keep the island from potential failure. The island is build for weight not strength. The face frame holds the counter top and drawers up. The right side where the drawers are located is actually held up by 23 gauge crown nails to 1/8" paneling. If the paneling does not fail, the staples will putting all the load on the face frame nails. When that happens, the bottom MDF can split letting the island drop on that one end.

See post #8 https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...solitude-310gk
                          About a 6 month spread between our units. Our 303 came off the line in the first week of October 2020. We picked it up October 8th, spent one night in it bringing it home but were unable to use the plumbing as the dealership had winterized it. That drive home is when we learned to not have the sink covers in place We found them on the floor.

Thanks for the heads up..I'll go check on the island. I still need to add the water filters a'la Cate&Rob under there too.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                          X