Water heater check valve question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater check valve question

For some time now, I have put off changing out the plastic water heater check valve to a brass one. I would appreciate any tips on getting the plastic valve out, hopefully in one piece to prevent having to dig out broken pieces of it from the female tank threads. Past reports indicate it's tough to get out without breaking.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

I used a pair of channel locks to get a good grip on mine when I replaced with the brass one. I gripped on the hex part. Not using a wrench helped with rounding the hex off and causing more issues.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to apply some penetrating spray around the threads, a while before going at the removal process.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I used a pair of channel locks to get a good grip on mine when I replaced with the brass one. I gripped on the hex part. Not using a wrench helped with rounding the hex off and causing more issues.

Brian
        It was so tight you think a wrench would have rounded off the hex? Did it come out without breaking?

I wonder if having the tank hot would help (of course with pressure removed).
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

When I replaced mine, I simply used a wrench on the hex and it unscrewed very easily.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

It was so tight you think a wrench would have rounded off the hex? Did it come out without breaking?

I wonder if having the tank hot would help (of course with pressure removed).
            I did not think it was too tight, just figured with my luck I would round off the hex and end up using channel locks anyhow so I just started with that. It did screw right out with ease and a wrench would have worked. Came out in one piece.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Guess I was just expecting the worst.

Jerry
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
              X