Water Sensing Puck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Sensing Puck

Hey all just climbed out of lower storage and wanted to share, hope this is proper place for this. I purchased a set of battery operated water sensor pucks. I had placed the puck on floor near water pump before we left home. We have been out for 5 weeks and suddenly tonight the alarm went off. Climbed in and pulled the panel and the water pump was leaking at the manifold where the 12v hooks up. Puck sensed this immediately and set off its alarm. Without it we would have had a disaster by morning. Phillips screwdriver tightened 4 little screws and all good. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20231113_200614.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	123502 So simple, so affective, cheap insurance. Keep on truckin....
    2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Awesome! Can you please provide a link to the pucks you use? I need to do that.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Many of us use water sensing alarms of different kinds. My info in post 4 of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-2019-315rlts

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I first tried the Govee in my house. It was the kit with sensors that interfaced with my hone network and allowed remote access. I could never get my network to recognize the sensors, so I returned them to Amazon and purchased the same sensors without the network hub. These stand alone sensors have worked great in both the trailer and at home.

If you have internet availability in your trailer and want remote access I would look at the Yolink detectors.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
          I first tried the Govee in my house. It was the kit with sensors that interfaced with my hone network and allowed remote access. I could never get my network to recognize the sensors, so I returned them to Amazon and purchased the same sensors without the network hub. These stand alone sensors have worked great in both the trailer and at home.

If you have internet availability in your trailer and want remote access I would look at the Yolink detectors.
          Interesting--the Govee hub works fine in my 315RLTS (paired to the Winegard) in conjunction with the sensors. I'm able to view the status sitting in my home office using my phone (since the trailer is connected to my home internet).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231115-052311_Govee_Home[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	123576

Only downside to the sensors is they seem to only sense a leak around 2AM (note the time of the leak sensed at the toilet on 9 May).... Other "gotcha" is the low battery alarm also only seems to work in the early morning hours (sarcasm). I now check the battery levels as part of my pre-trip departure list! Easy to do as their charge level is shown on the app as shown above.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson 12V to sensor voltage DC/DC converters will solve the battery problem. My sensors are 9V and I found voltage converters sized to fit in the battery compartment.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, Did you use something like https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...FwQAvD_BwE then https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...RoCSj0QAvD_BwE to make the connection?
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

howson

I think the Chinese intentionally program sensors, smoke alarms, etc. to activate and advise of low battery in the middle of the night. It's part of their strategy to mess with our minds by causing sleep deprivation.

It was weird on the Amazon reviews of the Govee sensors. Lots of folks had issues with getting the hub to link with the network, some claimed to be electrical engineers. I feel I could have eventually solved the problem but decided just an audible alarm would work for me at home, and wireless is not an option in the trailer. I'm still a little concerned about computer security and IoT devices on my home network.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  howson 12V to sensor voltage DC/DC converters will solve the battery problem. My sensors are 9V and I found voltage converters sized to fit in the battery compartment.

Rob
                  Hmm...the one under the pump and the one under the Nautilus Panel connections could easily be converted. Likely the one under the sink, too. Not sure if there's a 12v source handy in the water heater compartment (under the closet).

Will have to give this some thought and research -- I've done what you suggest for the Mopeka sensors and the LevelMatePro (they are tied to the RV batteries through a DC-DC converter) so it's definitely a convenience once completed.

I've added this to my (long!) list of RV projects.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson There should be 12V at the HWH, correct? Power in the HWH may not be constant, but it should be there. Not familiar with the appliance layout of your unit, but there is 12V running all over the place. Usually not too hard to find a way to "borrow" some.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Here is a screen shot of the ones I have. Cheap and easy. I will just remove between trips and pull the battery. If I decide this rv is a keeper I may install something more permanent. The good thing is my Nautilus system, pump and hot water heater are all grouped together so one puck does the trick
                      When I installed my watchdog I also cut an opening Click image for larger version

Name:	17001413621618616165887137568872.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	123635 where I can slip the puck in and out without removing panels. Stay dry all!
                      2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Comment

I use the simple Govee units. No need for wifi type since we only attach water when we stay in it. We turn the water off if we leave. They have saved us more than once.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X