Water pump cycling randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump cycling randomly

Hi everyone. My water pump will cycle on for about one second, once every hour or so. I cannot find any leaks whatsoever, and believe me, I've looked extensively. Anyone have any idea how I might diagnose this problem?
    gDan Coleman
    GD AIM 15BH
    Ford Super Duty, F250 4x4, 6.8L gasser
    Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Put paper towels or toilet paper under the plumbing to find the very slow leak. It could be a faucet with a slow drip.
    Or the pump has a internal leak and you won't see it.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks Ted. I've ruled out every visible fitting (I think). I'm wondering if water could leak within the pump from the pressure side, through the bypass valve, and back to the non-pressure side?
      gDan Coleman
      GD AIM 15BH
      Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Comment

Each chamber of the diaphragm pump has its own check valve. One of these leaking from the output side to the intake side would create the situation that you describe. You can remedy this by putting a check valve on the output side of the pump . . . or, just replace the pump. (keep the old one as a spare).

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think I may have found the problem. There is water dripping from the underbelly. See link.
          gDan Coleman
          GD AIM 15BH
          Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Comment

Now you just have to find where the water is leaking from 😟. I had a similar problem and after searching extensively it turned out to be the cap to the pump filter was not tight. Half a turn and the problem went away.
            Earl
            2022 Imagine 22RBE
            2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
            Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Each chamber of the diaphragm pump has its own check valve. One of these leaking from the output side to the intake side would create the situation that you describe. You can remedy this by putting a check valve on the output side of the pump . . . or, just replace the pump. (keep the old one as a spare).

Rob
              Pumps are also cleanable and repairable.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The first thing I did was replace the pump. The new one has been there about a week now, but the problem persists. I believe the issue must be a slow leak inside the underbelly. That, I don't know how to access, but I've had other leaks throughout this GD 15BH where PEX tubing connects to FLEX tubing. Those have been repaired already, but I fear there may be more of the same located inside the underbelly where access is extremely time consuming and difficult. The floors are dry everywhere I can see, including inside the cargo bay. Since the floors are dry, and because I can see water dripping from underneath, and I can hear the water pump cycling on once or twice an hour, I can only assume I have a hidden leak. See video attached.
                gDan Coleman
                GD AIM 15BH
                Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Comment

Water dripping from the underbelly combined with intermittent pump cycling is a sure sign of a leaking connection in there somewhere. Particularly since you have already dealt with these leaks elsewhere. These leaks seem to occur in “waves”. Some have several and some have none. Maybe the tool or the guy using the tool ?

When it comes to opening up the underbelly, resist the temptation to cut the coroplast. This never ends well. A PITA to drop the entire thing, but always a much better situation after you put it back.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you Rob.
                    gDan Coleman
                    GD AIM 15BH
                    Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Comment

gDanColeman As you have likely read on many threads, the problem is soft braided hose crimped to Pex fittings with crimp rings intended for Pex tubing. When you open up the underbelly, take the time to replace all the soft hose with Pex tubing. Several of us on this forum have done this and once complete, you can stop worrying about water leaks. After several hose-to-fitting leaks on my Reflection, I replaced all the soft hose with Pex tube and haven’t had another leak since. (Over 5 years ago).

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Wow!! Fantastic advice. Thank you so much.
                        gDan Coleman
                        GD AIM 15BH
                        Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Comment

Working...
                        X