Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank vent pipe too long reducing capacity. DIY fix advice requested

Hello,

I've had my GD Imagine 22MLE for over a year and have always been suspicious of how often I have to empty the black tank. I'm mostly by myself and have to empty the tank every 3 days.

I bought a water flow meter to put a known amount of water in my 37 gallon black tank. I emptied and cleaned it out as best I could and put 15 gallons down the toilet in using a garden hose with the flow meter.

I turned on the trailer's fresh water supply, filled the bowl and flushed. Immediately the toilet burped at me indicating it was full. I used a dowel as a dip stick to see how deep the water was in the tank: 3.5 inches.

Most 37 gallon black tanks on the market are 7" or deeper. Not sure about the model in my trailer, but based on the water depth at 15 gallons I put it, it seems to be near 7".

Next I went on the roof and pulled the vent cover. I snaked a measuring tape down the vent pipe until I hit bottom of the black tank. Then I carefully lifted the measuring tape to catch it on the bottom lip of the vent pipe. It was 1.5 inches from the bottom. I repeated the measurement a couple of times to verify.

It seems clear to me that I need to shorten the vent pipe to keep it from protruding so far into the black tank. But how? I want to do it myself in the easiest, least destructive way possible.

I've identified the interior wall containing the vent pipe. I think I can open the wall but it's going to be a pain (pulling trim pieces and many wall staples). I don't want to have to drop the black tank. I'd consider pulling the vent pipe up through the vent cover and chopping off the excess but I'm not sure how it's attached at the tank (friction fit gasket?) or supported in the wall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Kemper
    Tow vehicle: 2022 Toyota Tundra
    Coach: 2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Central Florida

Good morning Kemper, and welcome to the technical forum. I pulled the prints for your unit and found the part number for your holding tank. GDRV lists it on the drawing as tank # VR246085. Here's a snap of the print:

Click image for larger version

Name:	22mle Black Tank.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	125673

Next, I searched the web, and found that RecPro carries that tank, and they give complete dimensions which should be very helpful to you. Overall, the tank is 24" x 60" x 8.5"(maximum). . Here's a link to that website which contains the tank drawing:

https://www.recpro.com/alpha-36-5-ga...nk-vr246085hr/

I'll let other's weigh in on any further testing and possible repairs.

Once again, welcome.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Kemper,

Another welcome to our owners technical forum. From your detailed first post, you have a very clear understanding of the issues and the complexity of resolving this. BTW, we have a similar situation with out galley grey tank that we have lived with for 9 years now (yikes ) because of the complexities that you describe. I did resolve this same issue on the bathroom grey tank. but the vent pipe was easy to get to in the basement of the 5th wheel .

As you mention . . . the problem is going to be the grommet where the vent pipe is inserted into the top of the tank. Pulling the tank is not a way to resolve this because it will be virtually impossible the reinsert the vent and toilet pipes (at the same time) into the top of the tank as you lift it back into place. The grommets will grab the pipes and likely be pulled out or pushed into the tank.

Accessing the top of the tank at the vent pipe insertion point is the best alternative. You can cut the vent pipe and rejoin it with a rubber sleeve available at any plumbing store. (See attached picture . . . not the correct size but the idea).

BTW, please take photos and post here as you accomplish this task. Your information will be most helpful to other Imagine owners on this forum.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0786.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	125679
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What I found is that the vent pipe is not glued to the tank. Indeed this is the also true with the toilet connection as well. My post "black-tank-flange-seal" has some pictures to give an idea. So you might be able to gently pull up the vent pipe -- just don't pull too far! One item I got that helped to visually inspect my situation is this: amazon.com . With the camera you can see how far down the pipe is and confirm it is held by a rubber gasket. You probably need to remove the toilet for access but I didn't find that difficult at all.
        Earl
        2022 Imagine 22RBE
        2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
        Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

I had a similar problem with a gray tank. I cut the pipe, lifted it out of the grommet, then drilled a hole crossways in the pipe just below the point where the grommet ends. This allows it to vent but leaves plenty of pipe to keep it in the tank.

ETA: Here’s the thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...parently/page2 There is a picture in one of the later posts. It completely fixed the issue.
          Last edited by Jkwilson; 12-20-2023, 01:16 PM.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Kemper Welcome to the family and the forum! I'm kinda like Sgt. Shultz when it comes to your trailer, I know nothing but lots of more knowledgeable voices will continue to step up.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thanks to everyone with the info, tips and suggestions. I have a borescope camera on the way. I'll be sure to post my findings with photos, etc.
              Kemper
              Tow vehicle: 2022 Toyota Tundra
              Coach: 2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              Central Florida

Comment

Kemper

Kemper,
                The attached photo is of my black tank vent. Mine is located in the bathroom wall and accessed through the hutch in the kitchen. When replacing my black tank, I needed to cut the vent pipe and reconnect it using something similar to what Cate&Rob posted above. Note, the vent pipe to the black tanks, right side, is shared with a vent to one gray tank, at angle to left. They join up several feet up the pipe. In my case, I would be unable to just slide the vent up because of the "Y" in pipe. Thus the cut and splice.

Good luck,

Erik

Erik & Tea
                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                ProPride hitch

Comment

Popga - No photo attached.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    Popga - No photo attached.

Jim
                    Uf da. Thanks. New to this computer thing. Suggestions?
                    Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

Popga

Below the text of your post your will find an "Upload Attachment" button. You can leave it as an attachment or insert it into your text (as I have done here).

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 1.17.41 PM.png
Views:	206
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	126030
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob

Thanks!

I'll try again
                        Erik & Tea
                        2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                        ProPride hitch

Comment

[QUOTE=Popga;n125970]Kemper

Kemper,
                          The attached photo is of my black tank vent. Mine is located in the bathroom wall and accessed through the hutch in the kitchen. When replacing my black tank, I needed to cut the vent pipe and reconnect it using something similar to what Cate&Rob posted above. Note, the vent pipe to the black tanks, right side, is shared with a vent to one gray tank, at angle to left. They join up several feet up the pipe. In my case, I would be unable to just slide the vent up because of the "Y" in pipe. Thus the cut and splice.

Good luck,

Erik

​[/QUOTEClick image for larger version

Name:	0425A34B-7043-48C3-8B40-A05D55B8EB93_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	126068Click image for larger version

Name:	0425A34B-7043-48C3-8B40-A05D55B8EB93_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	126069
                          Erik & Tea