2020 303 RLS Grey Holding Tank capacities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 303 RLS Grey Holding Tank capacities

How is the 87 gallon combined holding tank capacity divided between holding tank 1 and holding tank 2?

Originally posted by mando1966 View Post
    How is the 87 gallon combined holding tank capacity divided between holding tank 1 and holding tank 2?
    Good morning Mando, and welcome to the forum. I'll tag one of the GDRV representatives so they can look up the answer for you when they get in tomorrow. I can't speak for this particular year and model, but typically, the gray tank capacity is equally split on previous models.

GDRV-Megan

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by mando1966 View Post
      The galley tank is 40 gallons and the lav/shower tank is 47 gallons.

Comment

mando1966

A couple of things that you might consider . . . (I do know the 303RLS plumbing system rather well )

When you have a chance at a FHU site, measure the actual capacity of each of your tanks. (Both greys and the black) This is easy to do with a garden hose and a flow meter available at Home Depot or similar (see attached picture). The reason for this is that the tanks are wide and flat. A small difference in construction (such as a vent pipe inserted a little too far can have a significant affect on usable capacity.

Another good idea is a twist on gate valve for the drain hose attachment point. (see picture) This is a good idea for several reasons, the main one being no "surprises" when you remove the cap to attach the hose. The other thing that you can do (because both grey tanks drain through the same pipe) is to leave this end valve closed and open both grey tank valves. This will equalize the level of contents in the two tanks, giving you a little more room in the first full one, if you need it.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-17-2020, 02:15 PM.
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob - Cate&Rob - mando's post brings back some "discussions" a number of us had about a 1/2 decade ago on our early GDRV tank sizes. I had forgotten the size of our two grey tanks until I just looked at the notes in my Owners Manual after a conversation with Janice from GDRV back in the day. Ours (possibly yours as well) were 43 gallons for the shower/BR sink and 32 gallons for the kitchen sink. The larger tanks sizes are just one of the many wonderful improvements GDRV has done over the years listening from feedback from owners, dealers, and other stakeholders. Yes, there are some things we still prefer on our early model years.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight
            Hi Dan,

I had forgotten about the smaller sizes of our early 303RLS tanks. I also had the problem of the vent pipes being pushed too far into the tank. Grand Design has since changed to a grommet that is supposed to prevent this (but I know of at least one where the pipe was pushed too far through the newer style grommet).

I fixed our shower grey pipe insertion (because it was easy to get to in the "plumbing basement"). I don't think we can get even 25 gallons into our kitchen grey, but accessing the drain/vent pipe is complicated. We get by, so I have decided to leave it as is. If we are watching water storage carefully, we just wash the dishes in a bowl and dump the bowl "elsewhere". Either black tank or outside, depending on the situation. And/or we can equalize the tanks as described earlier.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback and thank you Tucson Jim for tagging Megan. I greatly appreciate it. Just seem to fill that galley tank rather quickly. We are not newbies to dry camping either. Had a 40 gallon in our old Kestone Outback when the kids were little. Seemed to be able to make it about 4 days. This one about 2 1/2. I purchased the gate valve and flow meter. Thanks again

Comment

Cate&Rob: I’ve seen this ‘open both grey tans’ suggestion before and have read yours over 25 times and for the life of me cannot grasp the concept.
                If both Grey tanks drain from the same pipe, why do I have two grey drain outlets, one for the front shower and bathroom sink and one for the rear kitchen sink?
                I have a total of 3 push/pull T handles, 2 gray and one black. So currently I’m using a Y connection that inserts into the campsite drain and all seems to be working very efficiently.
                I’m quite sure it’s my issue that I’m not grasping so maybe you could reword it to help me with my lack of ability to grasp the concept. If you would be so kind.
                btw: I’ve never experienced any surprises when hooking up the drain hose as I’ve always kept the valve closed until such time that the hookup is finished and I’m ready to drain.
                Assist much appreciated.
                Last edited by howson; 02-25-2020, 01:07 PM. Reason: Fixed "tag" so Rob sees this...
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Schiefswret . . . I missed your question from a couple of days ago.
                  This discussion was specific to the Reflection 303RLS (and others) where all tanks drain through the same sewer hose connection point.
                  You don't identify which model you have, but if the tanks are too far apart to use a single common drain connection, the discussion above about balancing the tank levels, does not apply.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Schiefswret . . . I missed your question from a couple of days ago.
                    This discussion was specific to the Reflection 303RLS (and others) where all tanks drain through the same sewer hose connection point.
                    You don't identify which model you have, but if the tanks are too far apart to use a single common drain connection, the discussion above about balancing the tank levels, does not apply.

Rob
                    Ok Rob, my misunderstanding, appreciate the clarification. Travel safe.
                    Dave and Sue
                    2020 GD 2250RK
                    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...
                    X