Thetford Magic II ball actuator easily breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thetford Magic II ball actuator easily breaks

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3520.jpg Views:	42 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	128246These break real easy. Had to buy a $26 Kt Kit with extra parts I don’t need is the only way to get the actuator. $26 + tax.

Any way to just buy the actuator to keep spares?
    Any tips to help prevent this constantly happening?
    We use the Thetford ball seal lube and I recomend it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 02-08-2024, 09:59 AM.
    2020 Momentum 398M

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3519.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	128262Breaks way too easy
    Attached Files
    2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Dive Bar Casanova

Maybe replace the entire toilet with a different model next time? Something must be different in the location / installation / construction of the Aqua in your rig. Except for making sure to let the valve snap shut (to ensure the water shuts off) there's been no issues with the one in my '19 315RLTS.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The broken arm rotates the waste ball. I wonder if something is catching there? Perhaps installing the rest of the parts in the repair kit would solve the problem? The toilet is easy to remove entirely. Two flange bolts and the water connection. Once removed and turned upside down, the two halves separate easily to examine/replace the waste ball and seal. This same toilet continues to function correctly in our 10 year old Reflection . . . although, I have had it out and disassembled to install repair parts, more than once. Others have replaced this toilet with other brands . . . just be cautious of sufficient clearance to the wall with other toilets.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'll wager we'll all soon experience this.
          On You Tube "Finding our Someday" just experienced it too.

The broken part had a real sticky glue like lube.
          I used slippery white lithium grease on the new part.

BTW: This was the first day of installing a new toilet.
          The toilet it replaces had the same issue.

I'm thinking it's easy to install the foot pedal incorrectly causing the actuator pin to break. A poster on Amazon said he did just that mistake.
          Might be happening at the factory during assembly as well.

If all the correct parts aren't lined up properly with the foot pedal - when the foot pedal is installed, it can cause the actuator to be stressed and eventually snap. In our case,, the 9th flush.

I'm hearing change the toilet for a Dometic.

Oh well, I'll keep ya'll informed.
          2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Originally posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
            I'm thinking it's easy to install the foot pedal incorrectly causing the actuator pin to break. .
            I can certainly see this happening. There are a number of things to get into the right places as this lever is snapped into place. All I can suggest is move the lever gently by hand the first few times to check that everything is operating without binding.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My in laws just had theirs break in the same spot, they got theirs last summer. When reassembling we discovered the same, it's critical to get it aligned properly during reassembly. Based on the wear I saw on the rest of the assembly we decided it was not assembled right from Thetford.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Maybe this helps, maybe not, probably not:

Looking closely at the back of the foot pedal the word “spring” with an arrow points to where the spring tip pops in.

Now look closely where the arrow is pointing is critical.
                It’s pointing to the spot next to below where the word spring is.

Easy to get that wrong and set the whole reassembly catawumpus.

Assemble smartly with the ball closed.
                10 flushes and the fix is surviving.
                I Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3531.png
Views:	69
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	128340
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 02-09-2024, 06:49 AM.
                2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Working...
                X