Showermiser recirculate hot water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showermiser recirculate hot water

Moderator note: the modification tag was added to this thread as ncitro documented in post 2 and 4 of this thread his mod, which is related to Cwlove 's query. -Howard

Has anyone installed the Showermiser hot water recirculating system or any other system? Looking for advice prior to starting the process.
    Last edited by howson; 02-22-2024, 07:04 AM.
    Chris Love
    Child of God, husband to a great wife, and father of two great men!
    2022 Silverado HD Crew Cab Diesel High Country
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 226RK

I built my own, used a time delay programmable relay and a 12v hot water pump. I mounted it under my kitchen sink (last hot fixture in my rig). One press runs it for 30 seconds, another press resets for another 30 seconds. It circulates from the water heater to the cold line so no water is wasted. We love it, particularly for dry camping. No more running the water to get hot water when doing dishes.

Pump:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Programmable Time Delay:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Hi Neil,

I like this idea . . . And it looks relatively easy to construct. What do you use for the trigger/switch to start the pump cycle?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just a momentary push button. I got one with a pilot light that turns on when the timer is running. Mounted it along with the time delay in a little project box on the underside of the kitchen cabinet over the sink. Its great, I thought the wife would find it annoying, but she agrees its easy to use and makes a huge difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CCE97CD-A618-48FA-9121-F3FC92FC88EF.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	129009
        Attached Files
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I did something similar to ncitro but without the timer.
          I documented it here.
          -Rob-
          -
          Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
          2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
          2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
          Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

For HW tank applications... I have a passive hot water convection system in my house that consists of a return line from the furthest faucet (from the HW tank) back to the HW heater/tank. The return line tees into the HW tank drain with a check valve. No pump. As long as the check valve is maintained, the system works... near instant hot water at any tap. I doubt runs are long enough in an RV to establish a convective siphon, though... just thinking out loud...

Mike
            Last edited by NoPeeking; 02-22-2024, 01:35 PM.
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I like the idea of a visual signal that the water is hot. Check out https://showermiser.com/

How is access behind the shower wall? And where is the best non pressurized connection point to recirculation the water into the fresh tank?
              Chris Love

Comment

Looking at your floor plan, it looks like your water heater is right near the shower. I would suspect you would do a lot better to have it located near the kitchen sink which I suspect would be the end of your hot water run. It should be a pretty short run from the water heater to your shower. That said, I am not aware of any non-pressurized connections to the tank, you would likely need to install a new tank connection if it has to be non pressurized. The tank will have three connections on it, one for the vent, on for water in and out (these are combined into one connection and direction is controlled in your Nautilus panel) and the drain. When I installed my system I avoided needed to connect to the tank by circulating the hot into the cold.

Neil Citro

Comment

I would think you want to send the water back to the HWH vs the tank unless you are boondocking. Repeatedly sending excess water to the tank will result in the fresh tank overflowing.

Also either tankless or tanked model looping the HW line back to the inlet of the HWH will result in the HWH reaching the set point of the temperature and turning off.

I've considered adding a small electric HWH to the system to supplement the tankless HWH installed in our unit to help act as a buffer. Low flow situations result in the Furrion unit sending over hot water to the faucets. The only issue here is power consumption. They are hogs.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    I would think you want to send the water back to the HWH vs the tank unless you are boondocking. Repeatedly sending excess water to the tank will result in the fresh tank overflowing.

Also either tankless or tanked model looping the HW line back to the inlet of the HWH will result in the HWH reaching the set point of the temperature and turning off.

I've considered adding a small electric HWH to the system to supplement the tankless HWH installed in our unit to help act as a buffer. Low flow situations result in the Furrion unit sending over hot water to the faucets. The only issue here is power consumption. They are hogs.
                    My in laws did exactly this, a small electric one or so water heater. They normally just use it when on full hookups, but can run it off their inverter as well. This is less of an issue with my Truma as it has a small tank to give you hot water until the on demand spins up.

Neil Citro

Comment

I added a recirculation system to our shower and our kitchen island sink in our Reflection 297RSTS.
                      Parts used and how I did it is on our hobby web site in the mods section at http://www.stormpod.org.
                      Gary & Angela, Southwest Ohio | 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD
                      2023 Reflection 297RSTS | EMS-HW50C | Micro Air Easy Starts | MORryde X-Factor crossmember x3 | Pepwave | Hot Water Recirculation | Haloview BT7 | Security & Surveillance systems | Govee Water Leak detection
                      www.stormpod.org

Comment

Originally posted by StormPod View Post
                        I added a recirculation system to our shower and our kitchen island sink in our Reflection 297RSTS.
                        Parts used and how I did it is on our hobby web site in the mods section at http://www.stormpod.org.
                        Link didn't work...is this you? https://sites.google.com/site/stormpodadventures/home Found the recirculation write-up here: https://stormpod.blogspot.com/2023/1...n-kitchen.html

Howard

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by StormPod View Post
                          Stormpod,
                          do you have any pictures of the connection to your fresh water tank?
                          Chris Love

Comment

No. I can get one next time I drop the underbelly.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Gary & Angela, Southwest Ohio | 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD
                            2023 Reflection 297RSTS | EMS-HW50C | Micro Air Easy Starts | MORryde X-Factor crossmember x3 | Pepwave | Hot Water Recirculation | Haloview BT7 | Security & Surveillance systems | Govee Water Leak detection
                            www.stormpod.org

Comment

I'm late to this conversation, but I put in a Shower Miser yesterday. Not too difficult, but it was a learning experience. I had to cut a hole in the wall in the hanging closet to access the back of the shower and plan on putting up a mirror to cover it. I also had to drill a hole in the roof of the pass-through for the line to come down, but all in all, most of the installation was fairly easy once I figured out what I was doing. I returned the water on the "input" side of the water pump. The biggest "gotcha" was the length that the threaded nipple has to stick out of the wall because the faucet is not flush with the wall. None of the installation videos I watched had prepared me for that. I used 2 - 5ft lengths of PEX plus a handful of assorted PEX connectors.
                              Bryan & Patrick
                              2023 GD Reflection 260RD
                              2010 Ford F250 Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X