Water heater mount sagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater mount sagging

The water heater mount is sagging - the chipboard is not adequate. Gotta figure out how to stiffen that up or replace it. If it was just a bit shorter, it would not flex as much, but the furnace ducts probably get in the way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	water heater table sag.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.8 KB ID:	129142

Some folks have had these sag so much the lower outer trim pops out. Mine is flush so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Water heater lower mt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	129143

Was able to move the support legs closer to the furnace and back of the water heater. I trimmed off the excess chipboard, and secured the back of the table to the rig with a hinge re-purposed as an L-bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	water heater support.png Views:	0 Size:	702.7 KB ID:	129144

Click image for larger version  Name:	WH mounting improvement.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	129145

The water heater just sits on the table, and is not attached to it. I wondered if I should secure the 2x2 next to the heater to the table. There might be one on the other side - I need to look.

Have any of you experienced this with your rigs?
    Jeff & Janice
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Pulled with an upgraded 2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3​

BWSTGDSMy water heater sits on the floor

If it were me.......I would purchase some 1 1/8" plywood to either replace or place on top of the existing OSB platform to stiffen it up. You can also add "stiffeners" to the sides of the platform between the legs of the platform. Like my crude drawing below. Make sure the legs are securely fastened to the platform and floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Platform.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	129148

I would also consider a wide strap (or multiple straps) over the water heater to hold it in place. The outer shell of the water heater is Styrofoam, so you will have to be careful not to damage it with thin straps.

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
      BWSTGDSMy water heater sits on the floor

If it were me.......I would purchase some 1 1/8" plywood to either replace or place on top of the existing OSB platform to stiffen it up. You can also add "stiffeners" to the sides of the platform between the legs of the platform. Like my crude drawing below. Make sure the legs are securely fastened to the platform and floor.

I would also consider a wide strap (or multiple straps) over the water heater to hold it in place. The outer shell of the water heater is Styrofoam, so you will have to be careful not to damage it with thin straps.
      Darn good ideas, sir. I wonder if the water heater and furnace locations could have been swapped - putting the lighter furnace on a table. As it is, I will consider adding stiffeners and straps. Looking at pics of other installations similar to my setup, many of them already have shorter tables like what I cut mine down to. Thinking the legs positioned where they are now will support the load better. Will it be enough? I'll keep an eye on it.
      Jeff & Janice
      2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

I agree with the side stiffeners mentioned above, you could use aluminum or even steel angle for this.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think you will be better off with angle as the side stiffeners for the table. In one of the pictures you can see the grating on the top of the furnace, this is probably the intake or one of the intakes for the exchanger. Keeping as much clearance for air flow to the furnace should be considered.

I would consider adding angle on the 3 sides of the table to increase stiffness. If needed you could run them on top using bolts with Nylock nuts to prevent them from backing off.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I wonder how hard it would be to pull the HWT so you have room to work?

I agree replacing the top with real plywood (marine if you can find it) and add the angle iron braces. You may be able to bolt the angle iron from the top to pull the sage up if you through bolt and use large fender washers. However there is sure not much room to work.

Good luck
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

x2 on Yoda Keith's suggestion. Pull the water heater so that you can build a proper strength platform . . . and while you are at it make sure that everything is routed and clear for inevitable furnace service. Oy yeah . . . then you can also clean up the ductwork routing . . . and replace that soft hose with Pex (see attached picture of the original soft hose connection to my water heater.

You will just love how this forum can can turn any job into 3 and spend your money .

Rob

Name:	IMG_3845.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	129181
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Oh boy, I see I have some work to do, if I choose to accept the guidance from all of you. 🤔

For now, I'm going to leave it, with the moved rear supports now placed where they can prevent sag (I think).

Always interested in cleaning up the wiring/plumbing/ducting back there though. It's much better than it was (see "before" pic below), but more to do. I'm trying to whittle down a punch list for our first campout in May, so some of this work will need to wait. Keep the ideas coming though - I appreciate the suggestions.

Name:	passthru wire mess.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	129191
                Jeff & Janice

Comment

Working...
                X