Kitchen sink drain leak…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen sink drain leak…

Our 23BHE has a slide out kitchen with a sump pump reservoir that collects water from the sink and pumps it into the PVC drain pipe via a flexible hose. After dewinterizing, we noticed a slow leak where the flexible hose connects to the PVC drain pipe (pic attached).

Looking for advice/guidance on the following topics:
    1. I’ve read threads that suggest modifying the kitchen drain to elimate the sump pump reservoir. The 23BHE is one of few models that have this and the consensus is that it is another device that could potentially fail. (The sump pump is not mentioned in our Owners Manual). Thoughts?
    2. Finding/Fixing the Leak. I took apart the connection between the flexible hose and the PVC drain, added teflon tape to the threads and re-connected, but the leak still occurs. Is it best to replace the entire t-connection pipe between the flexible hose and the vertical drain or are there other options to stop or seal the leak?
    3. I would like to avoid bringing in our trailer for service at our authorized dealer. Our authorized dealer is backed up for weeks and I’m not confident in their abilities based on prior experience. Has anyone had their trailer serviced at Camping World? Or is this the kind of repair that a residential plumber can do?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Rob & Inka Imagine XLS BHE23 (2023) pulled with a 2018 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L V6

First if you can make the repairs yourself I would do that, this saves time waiting for the dealer and also gives you the learning and experience to fix other things when needed.
    Second, if you can eliminate the sump pump I would do that. It is another item to break and need maintenance.
    Third, if you trust your Camping World then that would be fine, I have not heard good things about those.
    Fourth, Welcome aboard.

Brian

PS: Does that fitting swivel when the slide moves in and out?
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Sump pumps are relatively unusual in RVs but very common in boats. They take a little extra “preventative maintenance” but can be quite reliable. I would be surprised if there is a “non-pumped” drain route that would work. Getting comfortable with fixing water leaks is good advice for any RVer. You will give up a lot of your RVing opportunities if you choose to schedule repairs through a dealer.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Brian. I agree that DYI is best. The fitting does not swivel - the hose is flexible.

Comment

Thanks Rob

Comment

The leak may be under the hose at the hose clamp. Try tightening the clamp a bit. The connection to the pvc may have a flat gasket seal, no amount of thread sealant will stop the leak. Take the joint apart and check the gasket, if there is one.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

23bhe owner here, first off to the guy that designed this pump box setup… go pack a rag. This box is for the kitchen sink and any food crumb or grease will stop the pump causing a leak. I’m thinking about using a clear 5gal bucket so we can see when the pump is not working and have some more volume before it overflows. Has anyone bypassed this pump yet? Can it be done?

Comment

As for the leak I have heard that with the ribbed hoses you can over tighten them causing them to leak. A mix of teflon tape, plumbers putty, and hose replacement to a non-ribbed hose should fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deveasey View Post
                  As for the leak I have heard that with the ribbed hoses you can over tighten them causing them to leak. A mix of teflon tape, plumbers putty, and hose replacement to a non-ribbed hose should fix it.
                  The best option is to replace the fittings so they match the hose material. (or vice versa) If you take that connection apart you'll see there are pex connectors coupled with soft hose -- works for a while, but then does not. This was documented by Cate&Rob years ago. The picture below is from Rob's presentation from July 2018. Yes, the powers-that-be were informed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-10 055405.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	131790
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Deveasey As I mentioned earlier in this thread, 12V sump pumps are relatively unusual in RVs, but every boat with “live aboard” accommodations has one or more. This is because the pan of the shower is below the waterline. Properly maintained, these pump systems handle whatever goes down the shower drain. There are certainly different “quality” sump systems available. Perhaps investigating what is available from a marine supplier might find a more robust filter and pump system. The key is an easily accessible and easily cleaned filter on the drain input. If you post a picture of your installation, the former boaters on this forum might be able to offer some suggestions.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Deveasey As I mentioned earlier in this thread, 12V sump pumps are relatively unusual in RVs, but every boat with “live aboard” accommodations has one or more. This is because the pan of the shower is below the waterline. Properly maintained, these pump systems handle whatever goes down the shower drain. There are certainly different “quality” sump systems available. Perhaps investigating what is available from a marine supplier might find a more robust filter and pump system. The key is an easily accessible and easily cleaned filter on the drain input. If you post a picture of your installation, the former boaters on this forum might be able to offer some suggestions.

Rob
                      The problem is mainly the small unsealed box mounted in a corner you can’t really work in. This makes cleaning a royal pain. However you have no choice because if the float gets stuck it over flows into the camper floor. I also come from the marine industry. Those pumps are typically easy to disconnect clean and put back, and if it overflows it would have to be several gallons(depending on the boat) and even then most items are prepped to get wet. In campers it’s like 1 drop and the thing falls apart.

Comment

Working...
                      X