Electric Water Heater not working??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Water Heater not working??

Hey folks...recently noticed that my gas water heater works well, but when hooked up to a generator, the electric water heater doesn't warm the water. It seems to make a noise when I turn it on, so it sounds like it's working, but the water doesn't get warm. Any ideas on how to fix...it's in a remote location to taking to a dealership isn't really an option.

thanks so much.

Chris

Most common issues on the electric side are either the relay or the heating element. Do you have a meter and are you comfortable using it?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi Neil...nope. No clue about how to test and what meter to use. Open to any/all suggestions though

Comment

Originally posted by Musco View Post
        Hi Neil...nope. No clue about how to test and what meter to use. Open to any/all suggestions though
        You will probably need a repair tech or a buddy who knows multi meters to look at it then, unless you want to throw parts at it. The element is 120V, and the relay takes the control signal from the board and uses it to turn the 120v to the element on and off. If you have ever turned the electric part on with no water in it, even for a second then I would start with the element. If you are confident that did not happen I would replace the relay. You would use a multi meter to check the voltage coming into the element, (should be 120v) or read the resistance through the element. Both are dangerous/difficult if you do not know what you are doing.

Assuming you have a Dometic/Atwood 6 gallon, the relay is:

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Mobile.../dp/B004QMXTHE

And I think the element is:

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-92097-.../dp/B086ZHBM5S

Note I have only ever changed the relay, so I can vouch for that part, not positive on the element.

If its neither of those its most likely the board, but I would bet on one of those two first.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Got it...thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X