Dealing with cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with cold weather

Our old RV had a standard tank water heater, and seemed to survive occasional cold weather just fine. The GD 280RS we just purchased has "Arctic Package"stickers and tank heaters, but the instant on hot water heater said it should be drained if temps drop below 37 degrees. That will happen on a pretty regular basis for me throughout the camping season, so I am wondering how people run these things.

Do you bring out a compressor and winterize if cold weather is forecast?

Do you drain and winterize between trips during the season?

When do you turn on tank heaters?

Any experience that has worked well for camping in the northern Rockies or other colder climates is appreciated!
    2022 Reflection 280RS
    2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

If your water heater is the Furrion brand contact Lippert about getting a new control board. The new control board is "cold weather" safe. What it does is fire the burner every so often to keep the water heater warm. If that will work for your usage that is what I would suggest. If not then you may need to bypass and winterize the water heater.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

WRT winterizing the Furrion On Demand water heater . . . if you get into a situation that requires this, note that air only is often insufficient. Antifreeze is required.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        If your water heater is the Furrion brand contact Lippert about getting a new control board. The new control board is "cold weather" safe. What it does is fire the burner every so often to keep the water heater warm. If that will work for your usage that is what I would suggest. If not then you may need to bypass and winterize the water heater.

Brian
        Mine failed this spring, so I have a new board already. I have the camper in my driveway now, and the water heater is off, it is 34 degrees. Should I winterize every time I come home until July?
        2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

steveluannj -- not that I have a {insert your favorite spicy adjective here} Furrion tankless water heater, but given the risk-vs-reward I'd definitely winterize with antifreeze when there's a possibility of a hard freeze. The tankless replacement cost is steep.

With a change to the design that allows for 100% draining of water by removing a single plug Furrion (Lippert) could make their product so much more RV-owner friendly, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

As has often been documented here, ncitro raves about the Truma in his rig. Just to eliminate the hassle, again if I had a Furrion, replacing it with a Truma would be on my "I Want It" list. Of course, it would have to rise to the top while competing against all the other items (time, priority, and budget allowance) on my list!

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post

Mine failed this spring, so I have a new board already. I have the camper in my driveway now, and the water heater is off, it is 34 degrees. Should I winterize every time I come home until July?
            If you have the updated version where it will cycle the burner when at the freezing mark then all you need to do is leave the propane on and it will cycle the burner to keep from freezing, at least that is my understanding.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

If you have the updated version where it will cycle the burner when at the freezing mark then all you need to do is leave the propane on and it will cycle the burner to keep from freezing, at least that is my understanding.

Brian
              I assume I would also need to leave the 12V power on to allow the water heater to start. Since we don't take long showers, I think when it goes again I will go back to a tank water heater. I never had an issue with those in my previous rigs. Unless you are hooked up to water and sewer, the tanks are the water use limiter anyway. So far I am not a fan of the new water heaters and 12V fridges for the way we camp.
              2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

steveluannj

You are correct that the Furrion tankless water heater does not work well for owners who use their trailers on weekends and park it where it will potentially experience sub freezing temperatures during the week. The choices are drain and winterize with antifreeze each time or leave 12V and propane turned on so that the unit can cycle to keep it above freezing.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post

I assume I would also need to leave the 12V power on to allow the water heater to start. Since we don't take long showers, I think when it goes again I will go back to a tank water heater. I never had an issue with those in my previous rigs. Unless you are hooked up to water and sewer, the tanks are the water use limiter anyway. So far I am not a fan of the new water heaters and 12V fridges for the way we camp.
                  Yes I here that a lot of people are not happy with those 2 items, manufactures do not care though. I replaced my gas/electric fridge with a 12 v dc and have been pleased with it. Now I just have the old fridge taking up space in the work shop, maybe I might need it someday.

I am not a fan of the tankless water heater, I would probably replace it as quick as I could for a tank style.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X