Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trip, Fresh Water Tank Issue

Hello,

We bought our trailer back in January, but just made our first trip last weekend. It is a 2020 Imagine XLS 19BWE. I dewinterized, and then filled up the freshwater tank the day we left. After filling the tank (checked with the level indicator on the control panel) I had water coming out a blue pipe next to the capped low point drains that I assume is the drain for the chloroplast liner, see photo below. I assumed I over filled the tank and it was draining out. Anyways, fast forward a couple hours later we get to camp. As we're setting up I notice water is still coming out of the blue pipe. I go inside and push the level indicator for freshwater to find we are at 1/3. A little while later it stopped draining out the blue pipe and it was still showing 1/3 full. Based on what we used before it ran out, I'm guessing we had 10-12 gallons in the tank. With possible below freezing temps this week I blew out the lines when I got home. I plan to fill the tank again next weekend and see what happens.

In the mean time, is there some valve I should be closing? I didn't see anything around the water heater bypass area. Any tips for trouble shooting this? Really hoping it isn't a larger problem. With closures this summer in Colorado our go to will be dry camping at family's property so I need a working fresh water storage.

Originally posted by Scyry View Post
    Hello,

We bought our trailer back in January, but just made our first trip last weekend. It is a 2020 Imagine XLS 19BWE. I dewinterized, and then filled up the freshwater tank the day we left. After filling the tank (checked with the level indicator on the control panel) I had water coming out a blue pipe next to the capped low point drains that I assume is the drain for the chloroplast liner, see photo below. I assumed I over filled the tank and it was draining out. Anyways, fast forward a couple hours later we get to camp. As we're setting up I notice water is still coming out of the blue pipe. I go inside and push the level indicator for freshwater to find we are at 1/3. A little while later it stopped draining out the blue pipe and it was still showing 1/3 full. Based on what we used before it ran out, I'm guessing we had 10-12 gallons in the tank. With possible below freezing temps this week I blew out the lines when I got home. I plan to fill the tank again next weekend and see what happens.

In the mean time, is there some valve I should be closing? I didn't see anything around the water heater bypass area. Any tips for trouble shooting this? Really hoping it isn't a larger problem. With closures this summer in Colorado our go to will be dry camping at family's property so I need a working fresh water storage.
    There have been a number of people on the forum that have put a shutoff valve on the blue pipe to avoid the water from splashing out while driving. I am sure that they will chime in. You just have to remember to open the valve when filling, draining or using the fresh water so that it vents properly.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

So to tell when the tank is full, it should come out the air vent port on the outside of the trailer? I heard air coming out of there as I was filling. Had something similar on the popup we had before, and basically it was fill until water spilled out there.

Comment

So to tell when the tank is full, it should come out the air vent port on the outside of the trailer? I heard air coming out of there as I was filling. Had something similar on the popup we had before, and basically it was fill until water spilled out there.
        There is another discussion going on in another thread that some have posted that the vent at the fill inlet is actually not hooked up to the tank. Being as your tank has the blue over fill pipe that is used to tell when the tank is full as well as letting air out when filling the tank and in when using water from the tank. Rob above is correct that plenty have installed a valve onto the blue pipe to stop water from syphoning from the tank while traveling. The pipe is 3/4" diameter and a 3/4" shark bite valve has been used by many , this can be found online or at your local hardware store. As Rob has also stated you have to make sure to open the valve when filling and using to allow air to come and go in the tank. Adding a valve will help you keep the tank full while traveling.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scyry -- for emphasis I will repeat Brian ( Country Campers ) advice: if you add a valve (a lot of people do that want to carry water while towing) you must ensure it is open when adding water and when drawing water from the tank. If the tank vent is left closed the water tank will collapse or expand to the point of failure.

To make the point, below is a picture of a C-141 Starlifter that had it's fuel vent plug left installed after a maintenance task. The fuel kept pumping in the tank until the tank, and wing, broke apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-141.JPG
Views:	2003
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	18443

Your trailer may not look like that airplane after a water tank failure, but the mechanism that caused that dramatic failure you see in the picture will be the same in your trailer if the valve is left closed. (A "Remove Before Flight" streamer or something similar in a highly visible location as a memory jogger is what I recommend.)

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What is better than watching for it to overflow (once it starts it's hard to get it to stop siphoning!) is to use a garden hose water meter. This little device was first recommended to me by Cate&Rob .

https://www.amazon.com/Rainwave-RW-9.../dp/B007NHS9M4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainwave.JPG
Views:	1935
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	18445

You'll eventually figure out how much water you can put in your trailer before it overflows. Much better to do it that way than for the siphoning process to start.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

So I have a fill port outside also. When I was filing the tank, air was coming out of it. There is a small screened vent next to my thumb on it. I assume if air can go out, air should be able to go in. So that would prevent the tank from collapsing under negative pressure. So my SOP would be to fill until water comes out the overflow, cloe valve on end of overflow, drive to camp site, and have a good time. I don't see a need to open the overflow valve back up until I am adding water to the system of draining for winterization. Is there anywhere to get a single line diagram of the plumbing system?

Comment

So I have a fill port outside also. When I was filing the tank, air was coming out of it. There is a small screened vent next to my thumb on it. I assume if air can go out, air should be able to go in. So that would prevent the tank from collapsing under negative pressure. So my SOP would be to fill until water comes out the overflow, cloe valve on end of overflow, drive to camp site, and have a good time. I don't see a need to open the overflow valve back up until I am adding water to the system of draining for winterization. Is there anywhere to get a single line diagram of the plumbing system?
                Forgive me for being overly cautious in the advice provided, but I never know whom is receiving the information, their experience, expertise, or familiarity with RV systems. I hope you receive the information in the spirit intended. I don't pretend to be all-knowing. I learn something new everyday.

I'm not personally familiar with units having gravity feeds. You may be right in your diagnosis, but can't recommend the suggested SOP. The consequences are too severe if they don't work and the damage likely won't be covered under warranty.

Regarding the plumbing plan, if you add your VIN to your profile, or post it here, we can tag our GD host to send you a plan via private message.

A faster method of obtaining the drawing is to call Grand Design Customer Service @574-825-9679. They will need your VIN and should be able to quickly email you a copy.

Don't have too much of an expectation, though, regarding the detail that it will show. It is very basic.

Comment

Scyry

In a current parallel discussion https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...w-system/page3 others have confirmed that there is no hose from the water tank to the screened port next to the gravity water fill. You might want to double check yours to make sure that it will provide air to the tank.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    Forgive me for being overly cautious in the advice provided, but I never know whom is receiving the information, their experience, expertise, or familiarity with RV systems. I hope you receive the information in the spirit intended. I don't pretend to be all-knowing. I learn something new everyday.
                    None taken. I'm used to hydrualic forces, but new to RVing. Now matter how things are built, if they aren't operated correctly bad things happen. Operators did this about 10 years ago just draining the pipe for an inspection. Thanks for the way to ask the diagram.

Comment

I've contemplated on connecting the gravity fill vent to a tee on the blue overflow with a ball valve shut off below this Tee. Its already in place where I'll post a pick tomorrow. The only reason I have not connected this is that it requires drilling a hole in the floor to run the vent line. The other reason, is the exposed vent to my water supply. So I'm undecided currently.

What I have been doing it to have the ball valve open only slightly to allow a small amount of air to pass (for expansion and/or contraction) where a very small amount of water will still be lost, but its minimal.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        I've contemplated on connecting the gravity fill vent to a tee on the blue overflow with a ball valve shut off below this Tee. Its already in place where I'll post a pick tomorrow. The only reason I have not connected this is that it requires drilling a hole in the floor to run the vent line. The other reason, is the exposed vent to my water supply. So I'm undecided currently.

What I have been doing it to have the ball valve open only slightly to allow a small amount of air to pass (for expansion and/or contraction) where a very small amount of water will still be lost, but its minimal.

Jim
                        Hi Jim,

While reading these two related threads, it occurred to me that doing what you are considering would be a great way to vent the tank . . . likely without incurring the slosh pumping of water out the overflow while traveling. This “exposed vent to the water supply” would be no greater risk than the open over flow / vent pipe.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello,

There is a way to re plumb the overflow line to prevent damage to the tank if you forget to open the valve when filling. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...hile-traveling However as you unit is not a 5th wheel, I don't know if there is a spot to get the air/vac high enough. You also can do without the air/vac - just cover the open end of the pipe with screen to keep bugs out.

Even if your gravity fill vent tube is in place I would not trust it when filling or using the pump. I would open valve, would fill to overflow, close valve and travel, and when camped open it back up before using the pump.

Just my thoughts here
                          Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I'd forgotten about that thread--thanks for linking it, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Jim,

While reading these two related threads, it occurred to me that doing what you are considering would be a great way to vent the tank . . . likely without incurring the slosh pumping of water out the overflow while traveling. This “exposed vent to the water supply” would be no greater risk than the open over flow / vent pipe.

Rob
                              Rob,

I believe this would be a simple solution to allow proper venting and to prevent unwanted expansion and contraction issues with the tank, should the ball valve be accidentally left in the off position. You've convinced me the side vent would not be an issue. The two pics show the tee that is stubbed off for plans to run up through the floor and as high as possible inside the kitchen cabinet and then down to the gravity fill vent. This vent can be see in the "Gravity Fill" pic at 2 o clock where manufacturing has put a blob of silicone over the vent nipple.

Jim
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X