Nautilus P1 Panel fitting leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus P1 Panel fitting leaking

Had to replace my water pump. Lippert's 64 year 20% off on a Duraself Flow Max pump came in real handy. Pumps are easy -- even a cave man could do it. Got everything in place and re-plumbed. I wanted to sanitize the system, so I tested the pump with the Nautilus valves configured for Sanitize. Pump worked, no leaks. Pulled all the sanitize solution in. So I switched the Nautilus to Power Fill. Walked away while the filling was ongoing.

I decided to take this rework as an opportunity to put the pump on a dedicated 12 V circuit. Went to the distribution panel and started snaking a new power wire. Water is still coming in on power fill. Five minutes go by and I need to get to the back side of the distribution panel to see my new wires and snake. So I climb back into the "black hole" where the back side of the distribution panel, the pump, and the back side of the Nautilus panel is.

There's water all over the floor! Stopped the Power Fill and identified the leak. I thought it had to be the pump lines, but no. It was a black nylon fitting that screwed into a Nautilus "manifold". Here's a couple of pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LeakingNautilusFitting2.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	19182

Same fitting from a different angle:

Name:	LeakingNautilusFitting1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	19183

This fitting is not associated (directly) with the pump or pump Pex lines. Have no idea why it spontaneously started leaking. I was able to get my water-pump-pliers (Channel Lock pliers) onto the fitting and turn it about an 1/8th of a turn. That stopped the leak -- for now.

Can someone suggest additional treatment for this potential issue?

Thanks.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

steve&renee amp;

”water pump pliers” LOL! I learned this name for those pliers about 50 years ago. We must be about the same age .

Inside that fitting there will be a cone washer sealing against the end on the mating fixture. 1/8 of a turn could easily be all it takes to re-establish that as a “permanent” connection.

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      ”water pump pliers” LOL! I learned this name for those pliers about 50 years ago. We must be about the same age .

Inside that fitting there will be a cone washer sealing against the end on the mating fixture. 1/8 of a turn could easily be all it takes to re-establish that as a “permanent” connection.

Rob
      Probably 55 years ago for me -- when I was 13 or 14. That's what my Dad called them.

Thanks for the cone washer insight. I'm feeling pretty lucky I was able to get the pliers on the fitting and get it tightened. For now, I guess I'm planing to trust, but verify.

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
        Had to replace my water pump. Lippert's 64 year 20% off on a Duraself Flow Max pump came in real handy. Pumps are easy -- even a cave man could do it. Got everything in place and re-plumbed. I wanted to sanitize the system, so I tested the pump with the Nautilus valves configured for Sanitize. Pump worked, no leaks. Pulled all the sanitize solution in. So I switched the Nautilus to Power Fill. Walked away while the filling was ongoing.

I decided to take this rework as an opportunity to put the pump on a dedicated 12 V circuit. Went to the distribution panel and started snaking a new power wire. Water is still coming in on power fill. Five minutes go by and I need to get to the back side of the distribution panel to see my new wires and snake. So I climb back into the "black hole" where the back side of the distribution panel, the pump, and the back side of the Nautilus panel is.

There's water all over the floor! Stopped the Power Fill and identified the leak. I thought it had to be the pump lines, but no. It was a black nylon fitting that screwed into a Nautilus "manifold". Here's a couple of pics:

Name:	LeakingNautilusFitting2.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	19182

Same fitting from a different angle:

Name:	LeakingNautilusFitting1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	19183

This fitting is not associated (directly) with the pump or pump Pex lines. Have no idea why it spontaneously started leaking. I was able to get my water-pump-pliers (Channel Lock pliers) onto the fitting and turn it about an 1/8th of a turn. That stopped the leak -- for now.

Can someone suggest additional treatment for this potential issue?

Thanks.

-Steve
        Original Rob is correct Cate&Rob However if you do not trust plastic HD should have a replacement brass fitting in their brass parts bay. It may have a white nylon locking collier on it but body will be brass. Possibly pick up the spare and watch this one for a while.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Original Rob is correct Cate&Rob However if you do not trust plastic HD should have a replacement brass fitting in their brass parts bay. It may have a white nylon locking collier on it but body will be brass. Possibly pick up the spare and watch this one for a while.
          Hmm. I'm not much of a plumber. Anybody care to hazard a guess about the size of that fitting?
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Hmm. I'm not much of a plumber. Anybody care to hazard a guess about the size of that fitting?
            I've posted this attachment on another thread, but to save searching for it . . . see page 5 .

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X