Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Soft Hose to Toilet

I bent the pex near where I connected it to the soft hose (multiple places, crimped over 90 degrees) so there was maximum flex in the pex. (I had plenty of line, so these damaged areas were cut out after-the-fact.)
    Please clarify what you said, above. Are you suggesting that you somehow used the existing soft hose as a "snake" to pull the pex? Any more detail on how you accomplished this routing would be appreciated. Just looking at the before picture, I would have said it couldn't be done!

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Front Drains, Water Lines into Nautilus Area

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drains Lined Up.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	20402

From rear to front, these are the components you see lined up: OEM low point drains, water tank dump handle, water tank overflow line shutoff valve, water tank dump line, OEM low point drains, washer drains.
      Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Howard is acting out his inner Foosball urges.

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Please clarify what you said, above. Are you suggesting that you somehow used the existing soft hose as a "snake" to pull the pex? Any more detail on how you accomplished this routing would be appreciated. Just looking at the before picture, I would have said it couldn't be done!

-Steve
        First thing I did was use a pex coupler and compression rings to join the OEM soft hose to the new pex hose.

There is a small clearance between the top of the black tank and the underside of the floor for the pex to make the turn. The new pex didn't want to get around that bend.

Close to the soft-to-pex connection, I literally bent the pex in 1/2 (at a 90 degree angle). Then I moved up few inches and bent it again. To use an old expression, I "oil canned" the pex line until it easily bent at 90 degrees in a few places. This damaged the pex, but I didn't care as I just cut that section out after-the fact.

With the bent pex I was able to get it started around the bend. Once it started the rest was easy.

Note that I am using Sharkbite pex, which is notably more flexible than what GD used in the trailer.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First thing I did was use a pex coupler and compression rings to join the OEM soft hose to the new pex hose.
          So you did pull the pex thru the floor with the soft hose. Right? All I can say is you're a *much* better do-it-yourselfer than me.

Somerset, WI

Comment

So you did pull the pex thru the floor with the soft hose. Right?
            Yes. I pushed the pex through the floor while the DW pulled from underneath the trailer.

All I can say is you're a *much* better do-it-yourselfer than me.
            I'm not convinced this was a smart thing to do--as I mentioned in the original post, if that line had gotten stuck or separated halfway across the black tank...I'd have had quite a job.

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good", to borrow a phrase from the racing world.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Skipped documenting yesterday, so a bunch to catch up on.

I rebuilt the Nautilus panel with 100% pex. Some of the connections are place-holders (so you won't see a compression ring on the pex).

First, good news! The clip ring works on the city water connection, too, steve&renee. Yea!

Name:	Water Inlet.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	20619

The pressure gauge is installed. Very pleased with how it turned out.

The blue item on the back is a combination "nut" and "washer". It's made from the lid of a plastic grapefruit container. (Don't anyone tell the DW!) Perfect spacer that allows the pex connector to snug up the gauge tight against the panel.

Name:	Pressure Gauge Installed.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	20620

Remember that when looking at the pictures below that this is still a work-in-progress. A lot of blue tape notes are still attached to the pex, and some of the pex is not cut to length yet. (The uncut lines will connect to the camper's pex.)

What I'll do here is "build" the Nautilus piece-by-piece so you can see how it goes together (or at least attempt to show you).

I realize it is not the fanciest or most attractive work ever accomplished...I never claimed to be an expert at this. At the risk of embarrassing myself (too late?), I really tried to make it look "good" but the reality of the layout drove the final configuration and "look".

The panel "naked" (except for city water line and output from pump). Middle and right are the first assembly and it installed.

The "camper" connection goes to the faucets and low point drain (aft) line in the camper.

Name:	Piece 1.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	20623

Input to the pump and water heater (cold water input) lines added.

Name:	Piece 2.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	20621
              Hot Water Lines. The one pointing to the left is for the washer.

Name:	Piece 3.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	20622

More in next post...

Howard & Francine

Comment

...continued from previous post...

So here's four different views of the whole Nautilus plumbing assembled. Looks like a nightmare, doesn't it?

One limiting factor is the minimum length pex needed to connect to different connectors together. That drove extending the lines higher and higher as each assembly was put together.

I just hope the dang thing works and doesn't spray water everywhere. (I kept the old lines--just in case!)

Name:	Final Config 1.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	20625

Name:	Final Config 2.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	20626

Name:	Final Config 3.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	20627

Name:	Final Config 4.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	20628

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

I also finished up near the water heater today.

Name:	Finished near the hot water.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	20630

The black water flush lines you see going to, and from, the vacuum breaker behind the shower faucets will be the only soft line lefts left in the camper when I'm done. (Actually all of the black flush will remain soft lines.)

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

I also worked in the washer area (inside the front closet) today. This was much harder than I anticipated.

Unfortunately no "before" pictures, but it you can imagine a typical washer connection panel it was impossible to remove the one installed in my camper. Apparently GD glued the top piece of the drain line after they installed the panel, locking the panel in place. I had to cut the panel out. (I didn't mess with the drain pipe!)

In addition, the original soft blue and red hose lines were secured (tightly!) with a zip tie about halfway up the wall. What a chore that was to cut that tie. My arms are so tore up my wife exclaimed, "you look like a junkie with needle marks!".

Running the new pex was simple--plenty of room in the wall. I added connectors to the valve to allow easy future replacement. I also mounted pex clamps inside the wall, thus the reason for the screws and washers on the outside. (Fender washers are huge, but I had them and they were the right diameter for the 1/4" bolts...so I used them.)

I also mounted a 2x2 piece of wood in the plastic panel. I'll use that wood to secure the clamps I've installed just below the valves. (The wood is covered with white duct tape.) This 2x2 will keep the valves out and higher which will make them much easier for the DW to manipulate.

As you can see this isn't done, as I got tired so called it a day. I'll tackle it again tomorrow and finish it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Valves on Wall.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	20633

One item I didn't know is that the drain is threaded! I'm going to try and figure out a better washer-to-drain connection than previously (the drain hose was just inserted and held by gravity previously).

Click image for larger version  Name:	drain is threaded.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	20632

Enough for today...

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Name:	Final Config 4.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	20628
                      Now all you have to do is reattach the head:

Name:	rubens_Medusa.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	20635

Somerset, WI

Comment

howson
                        WOW Howard . . . great documentation!
                        All I can say is "I'm sure glad I have a Kantleak system!" All this complexity is within their single 4 way valve.
                        Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Morning update. Got the laundry area done. I could have made a new panel, but considering its location and time involved I just used white duct tape and called it a day. Rumor has it the Red & Green Show will be calling. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Name:	Done Faucet.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20684

Also started mocking up the Nautilus panel. As expected, I had to shorten many of the connections to get it to install. I also found (to my surprise and delight) that the pump inlet and outlet line up perfectly with the Nautilus panel connections. I've marked these with red arrows so you can (hopefully) make out what I'm referencing. (I may have the output line marked wrong...even I have a hard time seeing it in the picture. The point is it lines up!)

Name:	Mock Up 1.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	20685

The washing machine connections and the rest of the water lines are on the docket after lunch. Not sure if I'll get it all done--hot and humid outside!

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard - once again amazing work ! With the extensive lists of mods/improvements/etc. that you have done, you will have to re-write your owners manual so the next owner can figure out how to run this baby ! I wonder, along with the narrative, and adding all the pictures and videos if you can keep it below 3000 pages ! YIKES !!

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                              ...next owner..
                              Next owner? Nope. POW ("Project on Wheels") is not going anywhere. Except to a campground with lots of great motorcycle roads nearby. Hopefully sooner than later.

Howard & Francine

Comment

The Nautilus mock-up is done. All the crimps are installed and connections tightened down.

By doing this work three hose lines are not going through the hole in the floor. What are they? The black flush (which was moved back near the dump connection) and also the washer hot and cold water lines. The now come off the Nautilus (the are pointing left in the picture below) and connect in the pass-thru instead of under the floor.

Tomorrow I'm going to figure out where all the coax is going (and label it).. There's still some electrical work to tidy up before buttoning up this area and doing a water pressure check.

I also wanted to move the front LED strip light control while I was here...we'll see. (I'm getting tired!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mock Up 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	20722

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mock Up Done 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	20723

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                                X