No announcement yet.

2020 303RLS Travelling with a full water tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned two different TT's and have traveled many times with the tanks full. Never had any issues
    2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn CC,LB, DRW

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Comment

I think the key point in the OPs question and the the take away is that is OK to do so.......but, with a BIG but. That doesn't sound right but anyway.......by virtue of itself (other things not factored in) it does not damage the RV or tank or frame or structure or anything else. If it does or could, this is news to me and I would like to learn more. Many, many of us have traveled with full fresh tanks for decades with several different RVs and never had an issue.

Certainly GDRVs response is not a surprise given the many marginal CCCs of many industry RVs and many RVrs (maybe most RVrs) not knowing or paying attention to the weight added to the RV. Possibly, the history of damage or potential to have damage to components like spring hangers, springs, axles, and more could be a real factor as well.

If I was part of the GDRV team I would share the same type of response to educate and better protect owners, the business enterprise, and other stakeholders.
      The key........."one has to know your limits !'........weight limits that is !

Dan
      Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-05-2020, 04:20 PM.
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Bad news, Lippert techs here at their Goshen facility do NOT recommend any water in tanks while traveling. This echoes what GD told me. Tanks have no baffles so water sloshes around and when on bad roads or hitting bumps, will have an effect on hangers and frame.

i asked about 5 gallons enough to use for flushing toilet while underway and they said that was fine.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          Bad news, Lippert techs here at their Goshen facility do NOT recommend any water in tanks while traveling. This echoes what GD told me. Tanks have no baffles so water sloshes around and when on bad roads or hitting bumps, will have an effect on hangers and frame.

i asked about 5 gallons enough to use for flushing toilet while underway and they said that was fine.
          It won't slosh (much) if it's full.....

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Filling the water tank puts me a little over GVWR, but I still do it at times.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

It won't slosh (much) if it's full.....

Jim
              Lippert begs to differ, I tried that reasoning with techs there yesterday. They were adamant about the risk to frame and suspension if traveling with anything over 5 gallons! I just don’t understand how it is possible that tanks don’t have baffles and proper support to be able to travel with full tanks? Is it that they just figure people will only camp at full hook up sites?

I did ask hypothetical question, what about loading up with water at campground water spigot and then slowly driving to find a campsite within that particular park? They said that short distance and slowly traveling was ok.

vivian
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Lippert begs to differ, I tried that reasoning with techs there yesterday. They were adamant about the risk to frame and suspension if traveling with anything over 5 gallons!
                In this situation, I think we might want to go with the perspective of experienced owners and LCI/GDRV engineers. Why would they put a warning on every trailer about considering the weight of a full tank of water rather than a warning not to carry a full tank . . . if that were the case ?

I have read forum discussions about dropped grey and black tanks which are secured differently within the frame than the fresh water tank. I have not read any posts about dropped fresh water tanks. Agreed that the tanks should have baffles, but that would make them more expensive and we know how that story ends.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

In this situation, I think we might want to go with the perspective of experienced owners and LCI/GDRV engineers. Why would they put a warning on every trailer about considering the weight of a full tank of water rather than a warning not to carry a full tank . . . if that were the case ?

I have read forum discussions about dropped grey and black tanks which are secured differently within the frame than the fresh water tank. I have not read any posts about dropped fresh water tanks. Agreed that the tanks should have baffles, but that would make them more expensive and we know how that story ends.

Rob
                  ... and I haven't read any reports of dropped waste tanks in quite a while - they must have improved (especially) the black tank mounting and support.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

... and I haven't read any reports of dropped waste tanks in quite a while - they must have improved (especially) the black tank mounting and support.

Rob
                    As a point of reference (since I have mine open )...

The water tank in my '19 315RLTS is held in place by three metal(?) supports and the edges of the frame crossbeams. The tank itself is not secured to anything. Since it's empty I can easily bounce it up and down. It's literally just sitting on top of the supports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Tank.JPG
Views:	917
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	20801
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

As a point of reference (since I have mine open )...

The water tank in my '19 315RLTS is held in place by three metal(?) supports and the edges of the frame crossbeams. The tank itself is not secured to anything. Since it's empty I can easily bounce it up and down. It's literally just sitting on top of the supports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Tank.JPG
Views:	917
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	20801
                      At 8.34 lbs. per gallon for water, that doesn't look like enough support to me, Howard... but I'm not an engineer - I just drive/sail/fly what the engineers design.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I've seen a couple of posts on fresh water straps breaking and bending the angle supports or the screws pulling out & dropping the tank.
                        That's in the other sandbox, last one was a few days ago, 2nd time for one person the tank dropped.
                        Gene and Kim
                        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to reply. I don't think it's a GVWR or cargo capacity problem, but a structural issue. Can a FW like the 303RLS support 60 gallons of potable water while traveling? My old GD TT literature cautioned that carrying water wasn't a good idea because it wasn't designed to carry a few hundred pounds of water WHILE traveling.
                          2020 303 RLS
                          2019 F-250 6.2L gas
                          Dogs; 2 Boston Terriers that LOVE camping, Pearl and Trevor.

Comment

Originally posted by Aljewett View Post
                            Once again, thank you all for taking the time to reply. I don't think it's a GVWR or cargo capacity problem, but a structural issue. Can a FW like the 303RLS support 60 gallons of potable water while traveling? My old GD TT literature cautioned that carrying water wasn't a good idea because it wasn't designed to carry a few hundred pounds of water WHILE traveling.
                            Our 29RS is very similar to the 303. We mainly are weekender or long weekends where we need to carry water. We have not had any issues with carrying a full tank of water , so far. I am not sure about traveling across the country while the tank is full , this might be an issue. I think the decision will be up to the owner.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                            X