Water Filter Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

So not quite as fancy as other setups, but while doing some cleanup work this afternoon I played around and what do you know--the CAMCO filter fits perfectly in the access hole GD provided. A couple of adapters I had in my plumbing case and voila'--a mounted filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Not so Permanent.JPG
Views:	3105
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	21030

Name:	Not so Permanent 2.JPG
Views:	2798
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	21031

That bottom connection can easily come off if I find it hangs too low. (Looks OK based on the front "A" frame and such--should have taken a wider angle shot for reference.)
    Nice! I recommend implementing quick disconnects. I put one on my water in below the filter in my picture, and leave them on the water hoses all the time. Some planning and thinking and I never take them on or off, and can connect any hose anywhere. Only threads are on my pressure regulator, which I connect right to the spigot and then patch in whatever hoses are needed.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I recommend implementing quick disconnects.
      I like it! I'll pick up some tomorrow at Lowe's (gotta go there anyway).

I did rethink the shutoff extension. I'd worry about it, so just removed it.

Here's a better perspective. Should be plenty safe there, and with the quick disconnect easy to attach the hose.

Name:	not permanent 5.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	21036
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I like it! I'll pick up some tomorrow at Lowe's (gotta go there anyway).

I did rethink the shutoff extension. I'd worry about it, so just removed it.

Here's a better perspective. Should be plenty safe there, and with the quick disconnect easy to attach the hose.

Name:	not permanent 5.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	21036
        Yep, mine is a bit higher and since I was pipe threads rather than house threads I went directly into an elbow and then used a garden hose thread adapter and the quick disconnect. Elbow gets it going out towards the side.

I hate going to the store, and this is available with a bunch of male and female ends:

HQMPC Garden Hose Quick Connect Solid Brass Quick Connector Garden Hose Fitting Water Hose Connectors 3/4 inch GHT (2SETS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FHXLKH5..._kmT3EbH6H4DJM

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro howson

x2 on the recommendation to use quick connects on all hoses. Like Neil, I have these everywhere.
          Despite the "sales pitch" for brass, I have found Gardena brand plastic fittings https://www.gardena.com/ca-en/produc...hose-fittings/ to be the most durable and leak resistant.

The "auto shut off when disconnected" connectors are really handy, but do present a considerable flow restriction when connected. A few of these in the same line and you will probably notice the restriction. "Non shut off" connectors are available which do not restrict flow . . . you just have to remember to turn off the faucet before disconnecting .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            ncitro howson

x2 on the recommendation to use quick connects on all hoses. Like Neil, I have these everywhere.
            Despite the "sales pitch" for brass, I have found Gardena brand plastic fittings https://www.gardena.com/ca-en/produc...hose-fittings/ to be the most durable and leak resistant.

The "auto shut off when disconnected" connectors are really handy, but do present a considerable flow restriction when connected. A few of these in the same line and you will probably notice the restriction. "Non shut off" connectors are available which do not restrict flow . . . you just have to remember to turn off the faucet before disconnecting .

Rob
            I remember you saying this, but I seem to have a hard time finding them here. They’re on Amazon but not prime, and I haven’t seen them in stores. Are they Canadian? Definitely second the non shut off ones, I think that’s what mine are but I’ve replaced them a few times.

Neil Citro

Comment

The Gardena products have been this fellow Canadian's go-to quick-connect for decades. However when I needed more I couldn't find them anywhere in Florida; checked about a dozen stores in several cities. Have you found them in the U.S.?

EDIT: Just saw ncitro note about hard-to-find, sorry.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout
                Hi Mark,

I have also gone looking for Gardena products in Florida without success. They don’t appear to be a Canadian company but are commonly available in different stores in Canada. Their components seldom if ever fail, but I now carry an assortment of spares and additions.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

boyscout
                  Hi Mark,

I have also gone looking for Gardena products in Florida without success. They don’t appear to be a Canadian company but are commonly available in different stores in Canada. Their components seldom if ever fail, but I now carry an assortment of spares and additions.

Rob
                  Have to have my in laws pick some up for me. Now if only they’d open the border lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

Have to have my in laws pick some up for me. Now if only they’d open the border lol.
                    Well there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gardena+h...nb_sb_ss_i_3_7

All sold by third-party sellers though.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Well there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gardena+h...nb_sb_ss_i_3_7

All sold by third-party sellers though.
                      Yeah I saw those. Not desperate for them. My inlaws are far more desperate to see their grandson lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

This is my water system. Two filters and a water softener. First filter is a sediment filter, then a carbon filter then into the water softener before entering the trailer. All water goes through this system, whether I'm using City water hook up or fresh water tank fill.. Overkill? probably, but the spouse feels good about it. Notice brass quick connector where I hook up my water source. Good and sturdy but I just learned that brass contains lead, even the ones labelled "lead free" have some lead in them. May have to change to plastic. Need to shorten the hoses a little also.
                        Last edited by Chuck48; 06-13-2020, 05:21 AM.

Comment

HQMPC Garden Hose Quick Connect Solid Brass Quick Connector Garden Hose Fitting Water Hose Connectors 3/4 inch GHT (2SETS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FHXLKH5..._kmT3EbH6H4DJM
                          Got the quick disconnects and put together the "final" configuration. Now I've got a pressure and volume gauge right at the Nautilus Panel, and the filter has quick-disconnects to make it easy to remove (change). Right above the filter is a shutoff, too, so I can stop water from entering the panel as desired. Really pleased with how this came together.

What is not obvious (but a nice bonus!) is the small white cap that goes on the filter after the hose is removed has small holes in it, so the filter will drain out.

With this improvement and moving the black water flush--no more water spilling in the passthru compartment tray. Yea!

Name:	panel 1.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	21649

Name:	Panel 2.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	21650

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have a 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS amd we have great cold water pressure but horrible hot water pressure. Pressure at site is great. Pressure running off water pump and fresh water tank is no different than running of rv site. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Coliver80 View Post
                              I have a 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS amd we have great cold water pressure but horrible hot water pressure. Pressure at site is great. Pressure running off water pump and fresh water tank is no different than running of rv site. Any suggestions?
                              Welcome to our Grand Design Owners Forum.

There is a plastic check valve on the outlet of the water heater that is often the cause of the situation that you describe. Installing a better quality brass check valve usually solves this problem. You can find these discussion threads using the search tool, in the upper right corner, on related words.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X