Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Reflection 297RSTS Sewer/Gray Water Release Valve Problems

Hi guys,
    We have been having so much trouble with this style of valve releases. I have never seen this design before and it’s not a good one.

The bracing moves back-and-forth as you push and pull on the handles which doesn’t allow the valves to close or open completely without multiple pushes and pulls. They also tend to get stuck very easily and we have had service on this once already.

On our last trip the gray water tank was so badly stuck that it won’t open at all and the handle came off in the process. Now we are headed back to service for this issue once again.

help and/or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi there. This seems to be a recurring issue on many coaches. In fact, Andi who is one of our moderators had a stuck valve handle at the 2019 National Rally and had to have the technicians work on it. One primary suggestions is to use a heaping amount of penetrating oil where the cables go into their sleeve. Then operate the cable multiple times to allow the oil to free things up.

JIm
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi there. This seems to be a recurring issue on many coaches. In fact, Andi who is one of our moderators had a stuck valve handle at the 2019 National Rally and had to have the technicians work on it. One primary suggestions is to use a heaping amount of penetrating oil where the cables go into their sleeve. Then operate the cable multiple times to allow the oil to free things up.

JIm
      Jim,

Perhaps my aging memory fails me, but IRRC, back in the '60s there was a device for forcing lubricant down the control cable housings on motorcycles (yes, I was a bit wilder and crazier in my early days). I don't remember exactly how it worked, but somehow it would semi-seal around the end of the cable housing with the cable sticking out and lubricant could be forced down the housing with the cable in it. Does anything like this still exist? If not, maybe you and I could collaborate, patent one for RVs, and work on our second million.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Jim,

Perhaps my aging memory fails me, but IRRC, back in the '60s there was a device for forcing lubricant down the control cable housings on motorcycles (yes, I was a bit wilder and crazier in my early days). I don't remember exactly how it worked, but somehow it would semi-seal around the end of the cable housing with the cable sticking out and lubricant could be forced down the housing with the cable in it. Does anything like this still exist? If not, maybe you and I could collaborate, patent one for RVs, and work on our second million.

Rob
        Like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5C&FORM=VDQVAP
        2020 Chevy Silverado
        2020 Transcend 30RBS

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Jim,

Rob
          Rob I think this is what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B0012TYX9W

Another Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

howson
            Looking for Howard to weigh in on this discussion. He tried the cable lube device being discussed . . . and it didn’t work. A motorcycle brake cable sheath is a tight fit to the cable for its whole length. An RV gate valve cable is a loose fit inside the sheath. The sources of binding are the 4” sleeve at the handle, the grommet where the gate valve actuator rod comes out of the valve and the seals around the gate plate. Lubing the cable might have some affect on the handle end, but can’t get lubrication to the gate valve friction points.

(yet another) Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob is referencing this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...le-lubrication

You can read the entire thread if desired, but the Reader's Digest version--doesn't work.

Once the steel cable rusts within the sleeve it's done.

This thread is well worth reading as I show how to remove the cable without removing the dump valve (assumes you have a Bristol valve and not a Valterra, though they should be similar): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Cate&Rob is referencing this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...le-lubrication

You can read the entire thread if desired, but the Reader's Digest version--doesn't work.

Once the steel cable rusts within the sleeve it's done.

This thread is well worth reading as I show how to remove the cable without removing the dump valve (assumes you have a Bristol valve and not a Valterra, though they should be similar): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts
                Do you think that adding a stronger bracket that does not flex would help?

Reflection 297RSTS
                Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by Cahriad View Post

The flexing statement is, frankly, unusual. I'd consider a good foundation for the cables a requirement (that means "yes" in response to your question), but ultimately a properly routed cable that is free from rust would likely operate just fine with the current bracket.

I noted in your post that the handle broke--I think you'll find a replacement is hard to find and expensive. Check out this thread for an easy-to-make replacement: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-easy-to-make
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cahriad View Post

If the gate valve is properly lubricated and the cable run is smoothly routed, it takes very little force to open/close the valve. Reinforcing the bracket to allow the application of more force is not a long term solution.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hello Cate & Rob,
                      I had the same problem on my 311BHS. The brace bends because the cable is exposed and gets rusted out. I solved it by the valve open and installing a waste valve right before the hose connection. It is definitely not a good design and and prone to problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X