Replacing the Soft Hose in a Reflection 312BHTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Sumitk2 (Jordan)-- nice work! Very gratifying that I was able to help.

The last picture in post #11 is one of those "holes" I often reference that allows a lot of hot (or cold) air to enter the trailer through the floor. Not sure if you plan on sealing it up but give it some consideration--you'll be surprised how much of the "outside" comes in through those gaps. You'll find one behind the electric fireplace, too, if you pull the fireplace out to inspect the molex wiring. Cate&Rob has a very handy PDF for the type of fireplace in his and my trailer--might still be applicable to yours.

When you're ready I'll point you to a few more projects that I think your wife will really like (and are easy to accomplish).

Howard
    Howard howson , I will most definitely be sealing those up. You are right, there is so much air that comes up, one would think GD would do something like that to ensure the plumbed air stays down there to keep it a little warmer! I am open to more modifications, and will definitely check out the fireplace! Thanks for the information.

Jordan
    Jordie
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Just a caution on using the OE hose for connections to the water pump . . . some have reported that pump suction can collapse this hose. Another alternative is to adapt the Pex to 3/4" hose connections and use washing machine hoses which are flexible but have a heavier wall construction. I use two "coils" of pre-fabricated washing machine hose for good vibration isolation. I also use vibration isolation mounts on the feet of the pump.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	36054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	36055
      Rob,

Cate&Rob That's an awesome set up!
      Jordie
      2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Just a caution on using the OE hose for connections to the water pump . . . some have reported that pump suction can collapse this hose. Another alternative is to adapt the Pex to 3/4" hose connections and use washing machine hoses which are flexible but have a heavier wall construction. I use two "coils" of pre-fabricated washing machine hose for good vibration isolation. I also use vibration isolation mounts on the feet of the pump.

Rob

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	36054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	36055
        Good point Rob.

Also noticed I used MPT for both adapters when one should obviously be FPT. Poor editing when I went back to change them to male and female to avoid confusion and didn’t check carefully enough.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Sumitk2

I'm just a few days from starting my rebuild. I'm so glad you're posting your photos so I can follow along. Once suggestion I have is that you replace that plastic check valve in your water heater with a Brass version. There have been quite a few cases of that plastic on coming apart and components going into the water heater tank.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I wonder if short metal braided water hoses could be adapted to connect pex to the pump. Might be enough to reduce some vibration without the extra length of the washing machine hose.

Bob
            2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
            2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post

I wonder if short metal braided water hoses could be adapted to connect pex to the pump. Might be enough to reduce some vibration without the extra length of the washing machine hose.

Bob
              This would be a good idea but I think the ID of those hoses is only 1/4" or so. This would cause a big restriction for flow and pressure.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Regarding isolating the pump with rubber or soft hose. Has anyone just attached PEX, and was bad enough that you regretted it?

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Regarding isolating the pump with rubber or soft hose. Has anyone just attached PEX, and was bad enough that you regretted it?

Jim
                  TucsonJim Jim, I did as my initial quick fix and intro to pex, but even with the stock rubber mounts on the water pump, the Nautilus panel vibrates a good bit. I currently have two adapters and fabricated a Pex soft hose combined effort, but as Rob states above, the soft hose might collapse. I will upgrade to laundry hoses...lol
                  Jordie
                  2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Sumitk2

I'm just a few days from starting my rebuild. I'm so glad you're posting your photos so I can follow along. Once suggestion I have is that you replace that plastic check valve in your water heater with a Brass version. There have been quite a few cases of that plastic on coming apart and components going into the water heater tank.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
                    TucsonJim Jim, are there any negative effects using the brass one way check valve i.e. corrosion? I know howson used brass. Any updates on that Howard?

Thanks for the recommendation, I would rather use brass. Ironically, when I pressurized the system, somehow I developed a small leak at the pressure relief valve to the tank. I cleaned it really well, and used tape in lieu of paste, and solved the issue.
                    Jordie
                    2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by Sumitk2 View Post

TucsonJim Jim, are there any negative effects using the brass one way check valve i.e. corrosion? I know howson used brass. Any updates on that Howard?

Thanks for the recommendation, I would rather use brass. Ironically, when I pressurized the system, somehow I developed a small leak at the pressure relief valve to the tank. I cleaned it really well, and used tape in lieu of paste, and solved the issue.
                      I've never heard of any issue with corrosion on the valve. But I've seen a lot of those plastic valves fail.

A leak at the pressure relief valve is almost always caused by losing the air space at the top of the water heater when refilling it. Once the airspace is lost, it will weep from time to time. Here's how to reestablish the airspace.

Name:	Atwood Water Heater Air Space.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	36120

Attached Files
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I've never heard of any issue with corrosion on the valve. But I've seen a lot of those plastic valves fail.

A leak at the pressure relief valve is almost always caused by losing the air space at the top of the water heater when refilling it. Once the airspace is lost, it will weep from time to time. Here's how to reestablish the airspace.

Name:	Atwood Water Heater Air Space.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	36120
                        TucsonJim Jim, sorry, I meant to say one way check valve, but I have yet to see the diagram you've published. Its great! Thank you.

I will go ahead and order a brass one way check valve!

Jordan
                        Jordie
                        2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Sumitk2

Jordan

Looking through your pics it is hard to tell if you used the original PEX fittings or did you replace with new?

If you replaced was there a reason?

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Hi Brian,

I used new Pex fittings in 99% of the project. Mainly sharkbite from Lowe’s. I went with plastic (black) to save some weight for the solar install. If you see an ivory fitting that was stock.

I used new just to be safe. Probably could have saved some money if I reused stock, but I figured new is better, and I am firm believer in Murphy’s Law...he will bite me when I least need it!!

Jordan
                            Jordie
                            2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                              Sumitk2 (Jordan)-- nice work! Very gratifying that I was able to help.

The last picture in post #11 is one of those "holes" I often reference that allows a lot of hot (or cold) air to enter the trailer through the floor. Not sure if you plan on sealing it up but give it some consideration--you'll be surprised how much of the "outside" comes in through those gaps. You'll find one behind the electric fireplace, too, if you pull the fireplace out to inspect the molex wiring. Cate&Rob has a very handy PDF for the type of fireplace in his and my trailer--might still be applicable to yours.

When you're ready I'll point you to a few more projects that I think your wife will really like (and are easy to accomplish).

Howard
                              howson

Howard,

I took your advice and pulled out the Fireplace this morning. It seems GD or the Dealership who did the Molex Recall filled in the gap! I was shocked!

Onto the other gaps!

Jordan
                              Jordie
                              2019 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by Sumitk2 View Post
                                Luckily there was no damage, and I had already bought a dehumidifier for the winter camping season, so I just let it run in the front storage area to ensure no excess moisture. My first order of business was to fix my water pump line where there was a leak behind the Nautilus Panel. Luckily I had a 1/2 inch FIP x 1/2 Inch FIP sink hose to bridge the gap until I could get something permanent.

I tried to fix the leak with a hose clamp, but it made it worse. Could have been 100% operator error...I am no plumber....not even close.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1472.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	35987

With that completed, I was able to use all my water as normal, but would use the pump in case a larger leak ensued. It would cycle every once and a while at the other leak locations, but I kept the inside areas dry, and only turned the pump on when needed. Luckily in my case, the leak points were very small, but they were all at the soft hose to pex junctions.

Once I got my supplies from Lowes, built my plan, and received my crimping tool from Amazon, I was set. I overbought just in case....but still needed more. I started in the kitchen by replacing the fittings where it was leaking, and used a 1/2 x 1/2 PB Polybutylene Adapter from Sharkbite (Lowes ~ $3 ea.).

Click image for larger version Name:	Adapter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	35986

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1478.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	35989

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1484.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	35988

Of note: The adapter kit comes with PEX crimps, but I was using clamps...it was difficult getting the adapter into the hose with a clamp in place. I later purchase a crimp tool, and found it much easier to do it the way it was intended with crimp rings vs. clamp. My crimp tool was larger, and I was glad to have the clamp tool for the tighter spots as I was able to use one hand for most of the tight spots.
                                Another way to transition from soft hose to Pex pipe to eliminate the soft hose to Pex fitting drip leak.
                                The 1/2" polybutylene side is a tight fit to the 1/2" soft hose used by Grand Design, but will fit.
                                This idea comes from Colancolan

Rob

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	756
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	37460

Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X