Wintering new 21g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wintering new 21g

Never had a rv before and read post, looked at owners manual and you tube videos. Still confused. Living is south central Louisiana it doesn’t freeze very much. Unit has never been used except for dealer go thru. Supposed to get in low 20’s next week for one morning. How far should I go with wintering?
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Originally posted by Tommyp View Post
    Never had a rv before and read post, looked at owners manual and you tube videos. Still confused. Living is south central Louisiana it doesn’t freeze very much. Unit has never been used except for dealer go thru. Supposed to get in low 20’s next week for one morning. How far should I go with wintering?
    Tommyp I would at least drain all the lines (low point drains), water heater, and water tanks which were probably filled and tested by the dealer. If it's only going to be that cold for a few hours in the morning then the insulation should be enough to keep it warm inside the trailer. And even below freezing the sun on the trailer roof will warm things up inside during the day. It's usually the underbody where things start to freeze first.

Every trailer build and climate is different, so its hard to give an exact temperature that you will be safe doing nothing, which is why the manual/manufacturers will play it safe and only tell you HOW to winterize and not necessarily when.

Multiple days in the 20's is when you will run in to issues. Just for peace of mind you can always turn the furnace on to keep the inside/underbody above freezing to buy you time until the weather warms back up. It sounds like the cold will be short lived in your area so that sounds like the easiest solution. I live in Northern Utah and have done this with multiple RV's in the fall if it freezes before I get time to winterize and it has worked well.
    Jim
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ford F350 SRW Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Thanks for your response. Trailer is in covered storage with no power but could run generator. They keep changing the forecasts from low 20’s to upper 20’s. Now mid 20’s. Retired now but wish I had a job where you could be wrong that much and still have a job. I just want to be safe.
      2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks for your response. Trailer is in covered storage with no power but could run generator. They keep changing the forecasts from low 20’s to upper 20’s. Now mid 20’s. Retired now but wish I had a job where you could be wrong that much and still have a job. I just want to be safe.
        Since you're a new owner and given the trailer's circumstances...is the negative power cable removed from the battery? If not, the battery may be dead at this point.

I got to that thought as I was going to write to run the pump for a moment or two to ensure all the water is out of it. Pump won't run without 12v power...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Tommyp , just wanted to add to JFoust good advice to leave valves (drain valves, spigots, faucets) open after draining. This will help prevent any pressure build up in the system from freezing of the residual water. Of course for maximum peace of mind you can always fill the lines with anti-freeze.

Building on howson concern, if the battery is dead the furnace won't work either, and the generator will have to be jump started. Just trying to help make sure you have everything you need when your head to your trailer.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Just got back from storage, ran generator for awhile, battery good. Drained everything and blew out lines best I could. Need plug with quick fitting instead next time. They say 27 now for the low on Tuesday morning, but that could change. Will get antifreeze for drains tomorrow. Thanks for everyone’s advice.
            2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Now they have the low in the mid teens. Any thoughts on running the furnace on a low setting while in storage? Would the battery last over night?
              2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Tommyp

If you can get comfortable with using plumbing antifreeze, this will be the simplest way to end all your worries. It is easy to do (after working through the process the first time) and you will spend far less on antifreeze that you would on propane, plus you won't have to deal with empty propane tanks and dead batteries.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Now they have the low in the mid teens. Any thoughts on running the furnace on a low setting while in storage? Would the battery last over night?
                  Maybe - but not guaranteed at those temps. The furnace fan draws a lot of power. Follow Cate&Rob 's advice and winterize.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Still trying to winterize this. Does a 21G have a water heater bypass? Owner’s manual says contact your manufacturer to see if it has one. Not much help.
                    2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Still trying to winterize this. Does a 21G have a water heater bypass? Owner’s manual says contact your manufacturer to see if it has one. Not much help.
                      I believe that the water hook up panel has the settings for winterization. The red lever should be the water heater bypass. If you could post a close up picture of that panel it will help.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Winterizing is your best plan, can't help you as I never do that, I live in mine during the winter. But a couple of notes; Your trailer can take some freezing without damage, the new water lines are not as susceptible to splitting as the older pvc pipes. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but much less likely than in years past. Pay attention to items left in the trailer. Soda cans make a mess when they freeze as do wine coolers. Jars with liquid need to be removed.

The water pump may have a clear plastic bowl on it, be sure that is drained...
                        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

According to GD's Parts Lookup website the 21G has a Nautilus panel v2.5. The owners manual for the 2.5 is here: http://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-conte...tilus-p2.5.pdf

I suspect the reference in your post is to the entry on page 12 of the Nautilus panel. (So far I'm not much help....)

Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater entry.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	42724

The water heater in the 21G appears to be underneath the refrigerator. Does that panel under the frig remove easily? I bet once removed you'll see the bypass valves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WH location.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	42725

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Got back out to camper today, water heater under fridge. Has a door like a cabinet, just do handle for access. Winterized it in about 15 minutes. Nothing to it. Thanks everyone for the help, I’m new at this.
                            2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Tommyp

Glad we could help. We were all “new at this” at one time. Thanks for letting us know what worked.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X