Adding a Hatch for a CAMCO Water Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Hatch for a CAMCO Water Filter

There I was minding my own business in a Gander RV and that rascal known as the "Good Idea Fairy" sabotaged me. He whispered, "Oooo, look at that Electrical Hatch--you can use that to mod under the Nautilus Panel!" And of course I responded, "Oooo, you're right! That sounds like a great idea!"

(Yes, I talk to myself and make-believe fairies. Remember, this is a free forum and your humble moderator is a volunteer...so it is what it is.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Before.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	44856

So back home I went with a new electrical cord hatch. (The "hatch" is what the CAMCO is poking through in the picture above.)

Electrical hatch? Why is this posted in the Plumbing channel, howson? Because I use the hatch on the Nautilus side of the coach to hold a CAMCO water filter. Fits perfectly!

I didn't have a 3 1/2" hole saw bit, so used the 3 1/4" I had and then used a large dremel bit to make the hole "just right" with it centered under the City Water inlet on the Nautilus Panel. Worked out perfectly that it snugs right up against the original and doesn't interfere with the (washer) gray tank drain handle operation. (I did rotate the drain handle so my fingers don't get smushed.)

If you look closely you'll note I was able to remove one of the elbows, too, between the City Water connection and the filter.

Name:	03 After.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	44858

Looking up from the bottom .

Name:	05 AFter.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	44857

If you're wondering why?, one of unintended drawbacks from the original mod was there was no way to route a cable TV coax through the hatch with the filter installed. I had to hang the cable out the door--not ideal Now I have the original route for the cable back and I can even run an electrical cord outside through that hatch.

Super easy mod. So I guess I'm not too mad at that dang fairy, but it's time for him to pick on someone else for a change...

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson

I put the filter way out at the post (so it protects my pressure regulator which is next after the filter) . . . but, I love your picture of the “Good Idea Fairy” . BTW . . . Have you ever blown out one of those new filters? The water will run black for a few seconds as the carbon downstream of the filter mesh is cleared out.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      howson

I put the filter way out at the post (so it protects my pressure regulator which is next after the filter) . . . but, I love your picture of the “Good Idea Fairy” . BTW . . . Have you ever blown out one of those new filters? The water will run black for a few seconds as the carbon downstream of the filter mesh is cleared out.

Rob
      Blowing out the filter is why I put mine on the post as well. It is amazing how much comes out each time.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob and Country Campers ,
        The GIF had me buy a new filter when I bought the hatch, so I put the old filter and new one to the test.

First, the old filter at the instant water came out of the filter. (The filter had been unused for weeks and was used all last season.) As shown, the water is clear.

Name:	01 Water from Old Filter.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	45003

So I then tested a brand new filter right out of the box. Yuck!

Name:	02 Water from new filter.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	45004

More from the new filter...

Name:	03 More Results.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	45005

The directions (who knew there'd be directions for a water filter!) show installing at the pedestal or RV is OK, but they do recommend a flush (highlight is mine).

Name:	01 Directions.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	45006

I made a modification to my install to allow for the flush without having to remove the filter. I ran out of time so didn't get a good picture. I'll show what I did in a follow-up tomorrow.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Content moved to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ions#post45044
          Last edited by howson; 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Content moved to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...5045#post45045
            Last edited by howson; 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Content moved to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...5046#post45046
              Last edited by howson; 03-05-2021, 07:50 AM.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Content moved to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...5047#post45047
                Last edited by howson; 03-05-2021, 07:50 AM.
                Mike
                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                X