Air Admittance Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Admittance Valve

Getting the rig ready for spring, and one thing on my list was getting a spare air admittance valve.

I dug under my cabinets so I could see how much room there was before I shopped for a spare. But looking at it, I can’t tell if it’s male, female, threaded or glued.

I put some pressure on both the valve and the ring below and neither wants to turn. Didn’t want to break a pipe elsewhere so I refrained from channel locks without something else to back brace the pipe.

Anybody know how this valve is attached for sure so I don’t needlessly break something?

If removal is too involved, I may upgrade to avoid problems on a trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09E12E45-33B4-42A5-86FA-13D341DC4743.jpeg
Views:	1858
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	45432

John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Hi John,

The AAV will be a male 1 1/2” pipe thread. There are direct replacements and better quality versions at most plumbing stores. It should be hand threaded into the female fitting which is glued to the end of the pipe. It is possible that some glue got into the threads during manufacturing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi John,

The AAV will be a male 1 1/2” pipe thread. There are direct replacements and better quality versions at most plumbing stores. It should be hand threaded into the female fitting which is glued to the end of the pipe. It is possible that some glue got into the threads during manufacturing.

Rob
      Thanks Rob! That’s what I assumed, but I’d probably have been a really unhappy guy dropping wet coroplast if I broke pipes because I misunderstood the connection.

My brother-in-law is well known for torque testing threaded items. He actually got a left-handed shaft bolt to come out of the aluminum shaft by tightening it with a cheater pipe. Maybe I should say “the remains of the shaft”. Can’t tell you how many times he’s had to pay to have his “torque blindness” fixed by a pro.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

You were correct Rob. Not that I doubted you! Just a little more force than I was willing to blindly apply popped it loose
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          You were correct Rob. Not that I doubted you! Just a little more force than I was willing to blindly apply popped it loose
          This is a popular replacement for that valve. Costs several times what the junky ones cost but has a good reputation for reliability.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

This is a popular replacement for that valve. Costs several times what the junky ones cost but has a good reputation for reliability.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238
            That’s the one I’m looking at.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

What's the difference between https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238 and https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0353/203111264 other than the first is rated for 24 DFU vs 20 DFU. My guess would be since they are on single stack the smaller would be sufficient and as my plumbing is up against everything a better fit so as to not bend the stack and keep it under side pressure.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                What's the difference between https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238 and https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0353/203111264 other than the first is rated for 24 DFU vs 20 DFU. My guess would be since they are on single stack the smaller would be sufficient and as my plumbing is up against everything a better fit so as to not bend the stack and keep it under side pressure.
                After looking through the brochure, I agree. The Mini-Vent I literally just installed in the bathroom was tight (due to the replacement sink I installed). The Redi-Vent would have been easier to get in the pipe.

Name:	Redi.JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	46381
                Attached Files
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I was at Lowe's today so picked up two of the Mini-Vents. Been meaning to replace the OEM valves for awhile...this thread finally pushed me to actually do it.

The upgrade is about as simple as it gets. In my 315RLTS there are two of the Air Admittance Valves (AAV). One under the kitchen sink and one under the bathroom sink. They unscrewed without too much fuss. I sealed the threads with MegaTape (instructions, which are attached to this thread, said not to use anything but tape) and reinstalled. As documented in thread 8, the bathroom was tight but manageable.

For those who need to see pics, here you go...

Under the Kitchen Sink. OEM on Left ("Before"), Studor Mini-Vent on Right ("After")

Click image for larger version  Name:	AAV 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	46386
                  Pics 3, 4 and 5 show the R&J AAV and it's internals. Pic 5 shows that the kitchen AAV was accumulating "stuff". Pic 6 shows the packaged Studor Mini-Vent next to the R&J AAV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AAV 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	46388

Pic 7 shows how the once out of the package the 1 1/2" vent is revealed. Pic 8 is a side-by-side comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AAV 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.9 KB ID:	46387
                  As previously mentioned, I put MegaTape on the threads and installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AAV 4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	46389
                  Attached Files
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Are ALL the AAV’s the same 1.5” male pipe size (kitchen, bath) ? What about the anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush line. Other posts have indicated it’s usually located behind the shower wall? What is a good anti-siphon valve for that?
                    Thanks, Doug
                    Last edited by SolitudeAtLast; 08-21-2021, 11:23 AM. Reason: Accidentally mixed up the black tank flush anti-siphon with the AAV’S.
                    Doug & Barb
                    2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                    2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                    No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                    Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                      Are ALL the AAV’s the same 1.5” male pipe size (kitchen, bath, black tank vent line) ?
                      Thanks, Doug
                      Hi Doug,

All AAVs have this same thread size . . . (at least, all that I have encountered or heard about)

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                        What about the anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush line. Other posts have indicated it’s usually located behind the shower wall? What is a good anti-siphon valve for that?
                        The black tank's anti-siphon valve is a completely different component from the AAV.

B&B Molders is the OEM for that valve, the same OEM that makes the Nautilus Panel. In the Nautilus P1 Panel Information thread (Reference Material sub-forum of this channel) has a PDF with a parts list. B&B calls the part an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker. Google the part # and name and you should be able to find a replacement.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson Howard, I think the instructions said not to use it, but I use the soft set sealant. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...5631/100351066
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            howson Howard, I think the instructions said not to use it, but I use the soft set sealant. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...5631/100351066
                            Yep--per the instructions, no pipe dope. Just teflon tape.

Name:	no pipe dope.JPG
Views:	882
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	64001

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                              Getting the rig ready for spring, and one thing on my list was getting a spare air admittance valve.

I dug under my cabinets so I could see how much room there was before I shopped for a spare. But looking at it, I can’t tell if it’s male, female, threaded or glued.

I put some pressure on both the valve and the ring below and neither wants to turn. Didn’t want to break a pipe elsewhere so I refrained from channel locks without something else to back brace the pipe.

Anybody know how this valve is attached for sure so I don’t needlessly break something?

If removal is too involved, I may upgrade to avoid problems on a trip.

Name:	09E12E45-33B4-42A5-86FA-13D341DC4743.jpeg
Views:	1858
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	45432
                              To prevent pipe breakage use 2 wrenches. Channel locks up top and a regular pipe wrench below (monkey wrench) used to hold the pipe and keep it from twisting when using the channel locks.
                              Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X