No announcement yet.

Installing Tankless Hot Water Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if one could do the water well trick with the Furion HWH and put a Christmas light bulb in the panel to keep it warm? Boondocking would be a different experience completely, but they do make 12v bulbs that put out a decent amount of heat.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      I wonder if one could do the water well trick with the Furion HWH and put a Christmas light bulb in the panel to keep it warm? Boondocking would be a different experience completely, but they do make 12v bulbs that put out a decent amount of heat.
      That is a really good idea!

https://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-50A1...97&sr=8-2&th=1
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thinking a bit farther, a standard 2057 bulb is 25 watts or so. Several of those in bases could be put in various parts of the HWH for heat.
        Joseph
        Tow
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

You can add in a 12V car heater. Here are a couple examples.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Hea...s/KH37650.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Hea...s/KH37500.html

Jim

Comment

Guest Looking into the size of the unit and the available space, the suggested heaters would mean cutting into the sides to plumb in the vents. I was thinking something less intrusive. Couple of 12v wires and bulb bases. Plus with non forced heating, it should help with keeping the heat in and possibly higher.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Guest Looking into the size of the unit and the available space, the suggested heaters would mean cutting into the sides to plumb in the vents. I was thinking something less intrusive. Couple of 12v wires and bulb bases. Plus with non forced heating, it should help with keeping the heat in and possibly higher.
              Yes the space in the unit would be a factor. Just a suggestion where these heaters come in different sizes and folks like Rob and I have used these for years in our previous occupations. I believe Rob currently uses these below the floor.

The bulb idea would work well but its needs to be carefully placed. There have been many boats burned to the ground with light bulbs and in other instances, when they burn out, things freeze. Is there a drain plug that a pet**** could be fitted to?

Pet**** = drain. Lol

Jim

Comment

There is a drain in the system, but if you are camping and need the HWH then you are constantly going out and draining the unit between uses. Since the inside of the HWH is all metal, bulbs should not be quite as much of a fire risk as on a boat or in a wellhouse where everything is flameable.

Manual is here https://cdn.accentuate.io/4486627065...9835638826.pdf page 12.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

There is a drain in the system, but if you are camping and need the HWH then you are constantly going out and draining the unit between uses. Since the inside of the HWH is all metal, bulbs should not be quite as much of a fire risk as on a boat or in a wellhouse where everything is flameable.

Manual is here https://cdn.accentuate.io/4486627065...9835638826.pdf page 12.
                  Joseph with an all metal structure a fire would not be an issue. Its stunning that Furrion would create a unit that cannot operate below 39F. They need a retrofit with a controller and thermocouple to re-fire the unit to keep it from freezing in operation. Really sad where I would be looking for a credit to buy a different unit.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Joseph with an all metal structure a fire would not be an issue. Its stunning that Furrion would create a unit that cannot operate below 39F. They need a retrofit with a controller and thermocouple to re-fire the unit to keep it from freezing in operation. Really sad where I would be looking for a credit to buy a different unit.

Jim
                    Update: I sent a request to the GDRV technical gurus requesting an update to resolution of this issue.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Update: I sent a request to the GDRV technical gurus requesting an update to resolution of this issue.

Jim
                      Jim,

This may be as easy as a software update since the output temperature would already be measured and controlled when providing heat.

Jim

Comment

I heard back from the GDRV team. Furrion is developing a source for a 12V thermostatically controlled heating pad that will be able to be placed into new and existing units. As soon as I get details such as part numbers, I'll share.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Just thought I would fill you all in. I tried the running the electric and gas for my 6 gallon tank and although the water seemed to stay warm longer, the keyword is "warm". I still had some heat in the water but at best, I would describe my water temp at the end as lukewarm. And this really didn't make much sense to me to have to run both sources of energy to get a lukewarm shower.

So, I took a chance and bought a Furrion tankless, figuring everything else on board was Furrion and everything else was working just fine. I ordered it from Furrion and received it the very next day, free shipping. I HATE doing any plumbing and especially with PEX tubing and unfortunately, I had to change the configuration had to be changed so after several hours, several busted knuckles and cuts, I had the unit installed. It was fitted to replace the existing tank water heater and slid right in but the hot and cold hook ups did not line up and I could not bend the PEX enough to fit.

Anyways, I have had the tankless installed for about 3 weeks now and all I can say is....HOT, GLORIOUS SHOWERS!!! I have no trouble with flow, easily heats for dishes, showers, shaving, everything! I would recommend this unit to anyone that would care to go tankless.

Furrion 2.4 GPM Tankless Gas Water Heater

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions'

Comment

stooge40 There is a note next to our Tankless controller that says to set the temperature and turn the hot water on. It took me a while to understand this. BUT, by using only the Hot you are ensured to get a more consistent temperature shower. The temperature on the controller is settable in 1 or 2 degree increments. Also with only using the HOT it forces water flow through the HWH to ensure it comes on. Since you can "NAVY" shower by turning off the head, the lines do not back fill with cold water resulting in that slug of freeze your tail off when the head is turned back on for the next phase of the shower. Typically my "NAVY" Style shower requires turning the head off 2-3 times before finished with each subsequent on cycle resulting in the freeze your behind off for a few seconds slug of water.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

My previous trailer had tankless hot water unit. When camping with full hookups it worked great. When boondocking - not so well. Like jlawles2 comment, a short blast cold water comes out before the hot water

Comment

I would wonder if the "tank" water heater was coming up to proper temperature if you needed more than 6 gallons of this water (should be at 140 degrees) for a shower. Particularly when boondocking, more water than that is going to fill up the grey tank in a hurry.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X