No announcement yet.

Black tank roof vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there re 2 attic vents white in color (they are rear facing openings) and one black plumbing vent. The attic vents are no where close to a wall that could possibly contain plumbing vents.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Doesnt matter. Just flushed the toilet again. Black tank smell. I'm starting to become one of those disgruntled GD owners. They can't even tell me how my vents are all connected, etc. Diagram is from 2015 and shows black tank #1 and grey #1 reversed and they say it's the diagram for my rig. I'm getting kinda sick of this. sorry guys...
      2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

CaptDan
        I get your frustration. Most of us have been down a similar path on some aspect of RV ownership. Unfortunately, this type of thing is “normal” for the entire towable RV industry. Owning one of these (from any manufacturer) requires a lot of trouble shooting and maintenance.

Back to where this started . . . is it possible that the odour is coming from the damaged connection between toilet and pipe flange? Where a residential toilet will have a deformable wax seal ring, the RV version is a foam ring that might not be sealing the toilet to the repair flange to the pipe.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I thought of that but most of the time the smell will actually be smelled at our couch/kitchen before or at the same time as the bathroom. If it's coming from a poor seal between the toilet/flange floor you would think all the (immediate) smell would be limited to the bathroom. I put a towel around the base and still got the smell. I may place tape around the bottom for a test. In the meantime, I'm going to walk over to the RV repair shop and purchase 2-3 new air admittance valves and replace the existing ones. I may also buy another foam ring as a backup task (as you suggest) if the valves don't do it. My frustration last night had/has to do not so much having things break/etc, it's the frustration with GD customer service (and especially Lippert) when you reach out to them for information to help you resolve issues. If they would include more specific rig info at purchase it would help. I almost never consult with the Momentum owner's manual since it either barely covers a piece of equipment/system or is vague or completely lacking in info. If not for your info, (and ONE other poster in FB) I would be clueless as to the fact that all my forward tank go thru one vent and (now) what I though was a tank vent - is an attic vent. Always assumed it was a tank vent. When I had satellite TV cabling issues it took several calls and finally got a detailed drawing which included two splitters unknown to me (without specifying exactly where they are). Luckily I found both. Ok vent (no pun intended) over. Thanks for all the help. Now that I know the black tank is theoretically "connected" to the other two grey tanks via the one vent line makes sense as to if/when flushing the toilet, the tank pressure may go up to the "Y" and proceed into the grey tank piping. I guess. Shouldn't be this complicated.
          2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

CaptDan Dan, You may want to upgrade to a higher quality valve. I changed my unused ones to https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0362/203158640 based on discussions here.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks. Are they much larger than the existing black ones, because there is no much room above them?

Comment

CaptDan I think they were actually smaller or not at tall. Camper is not here at the moment to go out and measure one of the new ones.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

I guess you need some kind of adapter as well since the existing one screws "onto and on top off" the vertical piping (i.e. threads on the inside not outside)?

Comment

CaptDan No it actually screwed right into the top of the pipe. The smaller diameter was due to the valve being straight from he threads up where the one GD used belled out.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                      I guess you need some kind of adapter as well since the existing one screws "onto and on top off" the vertical piping (i.e. threads on the inside not outside)?
                      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...mittance-valve
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                        Thanks. Are they much larger than the existing black ones, because there is no much room above them?
                        Here's a photo of a GDRV AAV compared to a Studor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	62021
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Ahhhhh ... . Excellent! I greatly appreciate the extra effort. I guess I misrepresented how it screws into the pipe. In my defense, It doesn't help not being able to "see it". I will order two as soon as we
                          can get to our next long term RV park. If we ever get out of here. three new jacks and a jack bracket are not sitting at my feet - now waiting for the welding shop to schedule us in.

Comment

the redi vent is smaller than the mini vent https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...203111264-_-N& its also smaller in diameter than the black ones used by GD.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Here's the Redi-Vent I used. replacing both years ago.

Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Dan - Thanks - Slow response since after almost two months sitting in a RV repair shop campground, they finally got us into a welding shop to replace a jack bracket - somewhat stressful. i still plan to replace the valves under the sinks when I get around to it, however, when we got back to the campground I did not connect the sewer hose - hoping that we would not be there long. We have since been sitting here for 3 days - and you know what? no smells. I know my forward black tank discharge valve leaks. I'm thinking that when I'm connected to the sewer via my sewer hose, fumes may be dawn into the RV via the leaky valve every time we flush. Maybe it's just coincidence but I'm going to install a Valdera valve and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X