Truma -- Furrion Tankless Water Heater Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truma -- Furrion Tankless Water Heater Option

Moderator Note: The posts in this thread were originally in the Furrion Tankless Water Heater - Important: Please Read thread. To give that thread (and the discussion about the Truma) the focus each topic deserves the Truma discussion is now here in this thread.

This first post is #36 in the Furrion thread. Jim's first comment about the Atwood option is referencing an option to the Furrion. -Howard

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe a good ol fashion Atwood option could be had. I believe the Truma has a small tank (think stored energy) and will re-fire occasionally to prevent freezing so the design of the Furrion unit was not very well thought out. I often wonder if these folks ever go camping to use the products they design.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2021, 07:39 AM.

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Maybe a good ol fashion Atwood option could be had. I believe the Truma has a small tank (think stored energy) and will re-fire occasionally to prevent freezing so the design of this unit was not very well thought out. I often wonder if these folks ever go camping to use the products they design.

Jim
    Yes I can vouch for my Truma, there is a small tank as well as a recirculation pump that comes on the keep that tank at temperature. There is even a mode for freeze protect that runs the pump and keeps the system above freezing.

From what I've seen of the Furrion, regardless of what anyone says I would not use it below 40 degrees (certainly not below freezing) before they have a fix. The furnace running may protect the water lines but i will not help the part of the water heater exposed to the outside by the access door.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Moderator note: Slight editing so this post makes sense in context with this new thread. -Howard

We’ve had our Truma tankless since spring of this year. As far as cold weather we were several days below freezing in the Rockies and Utah in the spring, and we also just wrapped a trip to my in laws in Canada below freezing, then down to the Smokies, all with lows in the teens and 20s. At my in laws I even froze my water hose one night (unhooked, just on the ground). All of these I had no issues with the heater, running normal while stationary and in frost protect mode while driving.

I know this is little help to those with the Furrion, but I have gotten questions about the Truma (I think in this thread), and also I know people have been looking for alternatives. It's not inexpensive but I can vouch for it 100%, but particularly in cold weather camping.
      Last edited by howson; 12-19-2021, 03:32 PM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        Moderators, not sure if this is appropriate, feel free to move it if so.

Just to update this thread, we’ve had our Truma tankless since spring of this year. As far as cold weather we were several days below freezing in the Rockies and Utah in the spring, and we also just wrapped a trip to my in laws in Canada below freezing, then down to the Smokies, all with lows in the teens and 20s. At my in laws I even froze my water hose one night (unhooked, just on the ground). All of these I had no issues with the heater, running normal while stationary and in frost protect mode while driving.

I know this is little help to those with the Furrion, but I have gotten questions about the Truma (I think in this thread), and also I know people have been looking for alternatives. It's not inexpensive but I can vouch for it 100%, but particularly in cold weather camping.
        Is the Truma designed for these temperatures? Can you explain "frost protect mode while driving"? Is there a frost protection mode while parked and using the unit? Thanks.
        Tony
        2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
        2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post

Is the Truma designed for these temperatures? Can you explain "frost protect mode while driving"? Is there a frost protection mode while parked and using the unit? Thanks.
          It is designed to operate in temperatures down to -4 F. During normal use it heats the water chamber and runs the recirculating pump to ensure safe operation. If not in use however (during driving or storage) rather than run the water heater set for normal use, and wasting propane heating the water to working temperature, you can instead set it up frost protect (or maybe it's freeze protect). I'm this mode it allows its temperature to drop to 41 degrees before firing up the burner.

Neil Citro

Comment

I've seen some likes on my post and there seems to be done interest so thought I'd add, if you're uncomfortable towing with the propane on (to keep it running) they make a12v accessory heater that's a drop in. It won't heat it to working temperature but will keep it above freezing woot the propane being on.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Neil,

How easy is it to drain the Truma since it only holds a small quantity of water? The more options the better.

Jim

Comment

ncitro Neil,

How easy is it to drain the Truma since it only holds a small quantity of water? The more options the better.

Jim
                I've not had to do it yet, but they showed me. There's a lever you pull inside that doubles as a spout to direct the water away when you pull it. It seemed like it would be easy.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Neil,

Found this video where it looks even easier than my tank type unit. They do mention to add the bypass kit so this can be done on the fly. I see they also offer a Combi unit which looks like hot water forced air heat plus hot water for bathing. They have clearly done their homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGUuHN9sJI

Jim

Comment

ncitro Neil,

Found this video where it looks even easier than my tank type unit. They do mention to add the bypass kit so this can be done on the fly. I see they also offer a Combi unit which looks like hot water forced air heat plus hot water for bathing. They have clearly done their homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGUuHN9sJI

Jim
                    Yes that's how it works! I was hoping to try to find a video for you so good job. Yeah the combi ones I think are only available for OEM, most of the travel vans use them I think. Truma got their start in Europe making water heaters and heaters for campers there.

Neil Citro

Comment

After a short stint of owning our lipstick-on-a-pig special ordered 2017 Jayco Seneca with a mandatory (and useless except for ballast) Girard tankless (anti) water heater, I looked into the Truma units long and hard. Biggest hurdle with them is that they are very protective of the installation of their product and generally do not sell to DIY owners. Must be installed at one of their approved dealers.
                      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
                        After a short stint of owning our lipstick-on-a-pig special ordered 2017 Jayco Seneca with a mandatory (and useless except for ballast) Girard tankless (anti) water heater, I looked into the Truma units long and hard. Biggest hurdle with them is that they are very protective of the installation of their product and generally do not sell to DIY owners. Must be installed at one of their approved dealers.
                        Yes, I was lucky enough to be near the factory in Elkhart so had it installed there. Watching the process I can tell you there were no tricks and I've even rewired it since they installed it. I'm very confident I'll be able to move it to my next rig and put wether my old Atwood back in this or whatever comes in the new one.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                        X