Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nautilus system re-piping - hot water heater bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus system re-piping - hot water heater bypass?

Hello everyone,

I've recently been looking into completely re-doing the Nautilus system (I specifically have the P4), I've searched and come across many great ideas many of you have already done. I'm wanting to do something similar in what I refer to as the "H" design where you have your 5 valves in an H pattern for the different functions.

One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to add the hot water heater bypass and wondering if anyone has any great ideas you may have already implemented.
    I DO want the bypass the be selectable from my new main control panel and not have to reach back to adjust valves behind the panel next to the HW heater itself. From what I've seen so far mean an additional 3 valves. Which isn't a complete dealbreaker I would just rather find a different way to do it having the bypass easily selectable at any time without disassembling panels.

Thanks for any input !!

I've got all my material so far, new PEX-A and will be using ProPEX fittings and ball valves. just can't decide on how I want to integrate the bypass

Prior to the "Nautilus" system, Grand Design used a "Kantleak" system by Anderson Brass. It did not live up to its name which was why it was replaced . . . but, that is another story. The Kantleak system is a very clever design that was poorly executed due to the supplier reducing costs by changing many components from brass to plastic.

Part of this design is a single valve that bypasses the water heater and does not need the problematic check valve on the water heater output. There are four connections to this valve. Cold Supply. Heater In. Heater Out. Hot System Supply. In normal position, Cold Supply is connected Heater In and Heater Out is connected to Hot System Supply. In Bypass position, Cold Supply is connected Hot System Supply and Heater In is Connected to Heater Out. This bypasses the water heater and drains the lines to/from the heater by connecting them to each other.

I have not yet figured out how to do this with standard valves . . . but, the design concept is very clever.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Get the red handle valve used in the P1 panel for the water heater bypass.

You will need to install a check valve in the water heater outlet.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Prior to the "Nautilus" system, Grand Design used a "Kantleak" system by Anderson Brass. It did not live up to its name which was why it was replaced . . . but, that is another story. The Kantleak system is a very clever design that was poorly executed due to the supplier reducing costs by changing many components from brass to plastic.

Part of this design is a single valve that bypasses the water heater and does not need the problematic check valve on the water heater output. There are four connections to this valve. Cold Supply. Heater In. Heater Out. Hot System Supply. In normal position, Cold Supply is connected Heater In and Heater Out is connected to Hot System Supply. In Bypass position, Cold Supply is connected Hot System Supply and Heater In is Connected to Heater Out. This bypasses the water heater and drains the lines to/from the heater by connecting them to each other.

I have not yet figured out how to do this with standard valves . . . but, the design concept is very clever.

Rob
        Thanks Rob, I've started investigating down that path as well actually. The valve port type would be an X (or double L port). It's a 4-way valve essentially, all the magic happens with the X porting. I am considering this if I can find a good quality valve that isn't ginormous. I'm trying to find this type in a small form factor, if I can, it'd be perfect. I have a couple suppliers I work with that have options, but they are much larger than I really want (even though they are 1/2" I/D's.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Get the red handle valve used in the P1 panel for the water heater bypass.

You will need to install a check valve in the water heater outlet.
          The valve itself is a basic 3 way valve, L port style I believe. it's nothing special. But it's how they have all the rest of the piping routed (which is a mess) where they are doing a lot of the bypass. Isn't the check valve where a lot of people are having issues though? Which is part of the reason I'm trying to avoid that route.

But... maybe the answer is simply "buy a better check valve" haha

Comment

FirstAscent

You might want to consider obtaining a valve from Anderson Brass. Or even an entire "Kantleak" RV water control panel. I understand that Anderson has gone back to their previous all brass design which combines their innovative and relatively simple designs with quality parts made in the US. If they had not gone to plastic components a few years back, they would still have the majority of the RV business. A far simpler system to connect than Nautilus, with full functionality from only two valves.

The water heater outlet check valve required with the Nautilus system is a common failure point with that system.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              FirstAscent

You might want to consider obtaining a valve from Anderson Brass. Or even an entire "Kantleak" RV water control panel. I understand that Anderson has gone back to their previous all brass design which combines their innovative and relatively simple designs with quality parts made in the US. If they had not gone to plastic components a few years back, they would still have the majority of the RV business. A far simpler system to connect than Nautilus, with full functionality from only two valves.

The water heater outlet check valve required with the Nautilus system is a common failure point with that system.

Rob
              A number of us having been communicating here and elsewhere about the new and highly improved "all brass" Kantleak panel by Anderson Brass. I may be doing this if we keep our 303 and have to replace our current panel. One owner has done this already but I do not recall who it was. Maybe it was John Jkwilson ?

Here is the link to the RV panel on Anderson Brass site: https://www.abcorv.com/

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

A number of us having been communicating here and elsewhere about the new and highly improved "all brass" Kantleak panel by Anderson Brass. I may be doing this if we keep our 303 and have to replace our current panel. One owner has done this already but I do not recall who it was. Maybe it was John Jkwilson ?

Here is the link to the RV panel on Anderson Brass site: https://www.abcorv.com/

Dan
                Though I have the brass valve, I haven’t changed it yet.

John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

9200arv.pdf

This is what I put in the Bighorn trailer I had years ago. I don't know if the valve is still available.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                    I didn't have my notifications set and just saw all the new responses, thanks everyone! I've definitely heard of the Kantleak system before but nothing good about it. But yes that was the older plastic design. I just looked at their site, thanks Canyonlight for the link, and the all brass system looks pretty great. Two valves, compact, all brass, I like it. I think I may go this route because it seems to meet all my requirements.

[Edit] Looking a little closer, one thing I do not like is that each connection uses a typical garden hose thread, I would've preferred NPT, I wonder if they offer any options. Probably not, but I'll have to call them to see.
                    Last edited by FirstAscent; 12-25-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

FirstAscent

Those are not garden hose thread connections. They are half inch compression seal connections.

Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

FirstAscent the fitting ends are npt. They accept the swivel fittings with the cone washers.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This is what they show in the photos on their site which is neither compression or npt haha
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	431C3367-AAAE-4026-A73F-EE90028BEA79.jpeg
Views:	760
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	72964

Comment

Their website was quoted as 1/2" npt. The threads in the picture are most likely straight pipe, not tapered pipe. The female pipe swivel with the cone seal will seal to the ID of male straight pipe.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211226-154450_Drive.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	72975
                              This is the older plastic which the new brass replaces. Note 1/2" npt.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X