Leak Under Camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Under Camper

Not happy with my new 2022 transcend 265bh. Got the RV in Oct 2021, bought a pressure regulator and had a leak underneath on our first trip out. Took it to the dealership and they said there was no leak. Took it out once since then and no leaks. Now I’ve got water just pouring out of the bottom of the camper. We’ve now had to cancel two vacations because of this leak. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this?

Doive36
    Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

I would reverse your question . . . is there anyone who has not experienced an issue like this? The plumbing systems in RVs are notoriously fragile. If you use the search tool in the upper right corner on words related to plumbing and leaks . . . you will find hours of reading. When you track down the source of the leak, post a picture on this forum and we will quickly help you to solve the problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Doive36 View Post
      Not happy with my new 2022 transcend 265bh. Got the RV in Oct 2021, bought a pressure regulator and had a leak underneath on our first trip out. Took it to the dealership and they said there was no leak. Took it out once since then and no leaks. Now I’ve got water just pouring out of the bottom of the camper. We’ve now had to cancel two vacations because of this leak. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this?
      Welcome Doive36 , and it sucks your first post is a frustration one, but like Cate&Rob says, there are lots of areas the plumbing system that can give you grief . It's brutal that your dealer found no issue, but this response makes me think that maybe they just checked the 'supply' side of the system, and not the drain system. IE, they possibly connected their in-house water supply to your trailer, waited a given amount of time, and then quickly looked for any leaks, not finding any. That being said, when you found the leak the second time and had water pouring out of the trailer, was someone showering? Perhaps the p-trap is busted, leaking shower grey water into the belly, and it finally poured out?

Again, welcome to the forum, and stick around. Lots of good support information here, and everyone is good at helping you spend your money on upgrades
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Might a tank have been full? I’ve had both black and gray tanks that leaked when completely full. The easy fix was not to let them get full.
        2022 3100RD
        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

On my Imagine 2600RB, a vinyl hose that was improperly connected to a PEX fitting blew off under our rig when camping with some nice GDRV folks in PA last summer. That shortened our trip by a day or so.

Partially remove and roll back the coroplast cover under the rig and you will be able to see whats going on under there.

I have not found a PEX to barbed fitting yet but I ended up properly connecting PEX piping to the PEX fittings and running them up into the rig to PEX shutoff valves and adapted that to a barbed fitting to connect the vinyl too. Rob from Cate&Rob can fill you in on all the details of the industry wide use of improper connections.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

The OP has not been back to this thread since the original post . . . so, I am not sure whether they are following this discussion or not.

When I still had sections of soft hose in my plumbing system, I made up "adapters" like in the attached picture to have ready for the inevitable soft hose to Pex fitting leaks. The 1/2" barbed fitting and hose clamp are the correct parts for connecting to this hose. It was relatively simple to cut off the dripping hose to Pex connection and insert the adapter. Took only a few minutes . . . one you get access to the leaking fitting!

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Guest Cate&Rob

Hey Rob and Jim
              I have read other posts where users have used this fitting to go from PEX to soft hose, but I think it was on the other forum.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ter/1001012681

The pex side of that fitting is a no brainer, but I haven't been able to confirm personally if PolyB pipe has the same inner diameter as the soft hose used in RVs. That being said, you can clearly see the PolyB side of that fitting has a larger OD.

Hopefully someone here has had first had experience with this fitting and can weigh in?
              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Hi Jim,

The OP has not been back to this thread since the original post . . . so, I am not sure whether they are following this discussion or not.

When I still had sections of soft hose in my plumbing system, I made up "adapters" like in the attached picture to have ready for the inevitable soft hose to Pex fitting leaks. The 1/2" barbed fitting and hose clamp are the correct parts for connecting to this hose. It was relatively simple to cut off the dripping hose to Pex connection and insert the adapter. Took only a few minutes . . . one you get access to the leaking fitting!

Rob
                Nice Rob,

I managed to find a PEX shut off which had a threaded end on the outlet where I screwed in a threaded barb fitting.

I spoke with folks at a Jayco dealer when buying clamps and they tell me they do this too and they see failures regularly as well. Sad. Reminds me of the 70s auto industry.

Jim

Comment

StephenO
                  Hi Stephen,

I have never used the Pex-to-PolyB connectors, but they should work. I have measured the ID of the soft hose and it is .500".
                  From the internet . . . 1/2" PolyB (polybutylene) tubing has a .625 OD with a .062 wall . . . which would calculate to a .501" ID . . . same as the hose.
                  The barbs on a hose fitting are sharper than the ridges on a PolyB fitting but the fit will be better than the similarly ridged but smaller Pex fittings.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Reminds me of the 70s auto industry.
                    The problem is that there are no new better quality manufacturers entering the towable RV industry, like there were coming into the to the auto industry back then, that forced all manufacturers to build better products to stay in the game.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

StephenO

I tried that fitting to save myself a bunch of work and it did not hold, ended up doing all of the work replacing the pex in that area. I tried it with pex clamps and also a hose clamp. I have 2 in my spare parts box if you want them. It did fit the soft hose but did not hold, leaked as bad as the leak I was trying to fix.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                        StephenO

I tried that fitting to save myself a bunch of work and it did not hold, ended up doing all of the work replacing the pex in that area. I tried it with pex clamps and also a hose clamp. I have 2 in my spare parts box if you want them. It did fit the soft hose but did not hold, leaked as bad as the leak I was trying to fix.

Brian
                        StephenO . . . This makes sense because the barbed fitting designed for the braided hose has sharper rings to bite into the hose.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          StephenO

Brian
                          Thanks Brian and Cate&Rob, makes total sense that the lack of barbs would make that fitting not work.

Appreciate the offer to take your spare parts that don't work Country Campers, but my wife says I have too much stuff already . Although like I have been saying to my father in law, who is on the verge of retirement, if you got any tools that are taking up too much space, I may have room for that ​​​​​​​.
                          2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I used valves similar to this one and purchased the barbed fitting to screw on the end.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/1-2-pex-...alve-lead-free

Jim

Comment

Not a major leak, but I noticed about 2 cups of water dripping from mid back area of my XLS 21 and thought after having the outside fridge on during hot weather, that the condensation from it must drain somewhere. Anybody else had this drip?

Comment

Working...
                              X