Sewer Gas . . . or is it Propane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Gas . . . or is it Propane?

Came back to our trailer after a couple of hours away and discovered what I thought was a wiff of sewer gas. Checked the AAVs and made sure that the sink traps had water (I had recently drained the tanks). Smell was stronger in the pass through . . . making me think about a tank grommet. Then . . . I look over at the stove and one of the burner valves is slightly on . I probably bumped it hanging a dish towel on the oven door handle.

The propane alarm never went off . . . but, all the windows of the trailer were open. I subsequently checked and tested the propane alarm and it looks to be OK (green light on). I will have to check it with actual propane.

Learning (for me) . . . what smells like a faint sewer gas leak, might be a small propane leak.

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

When we leave the trailer for a couple hours, or so, I do the mental checklist thing... awning in, water heater off, water pump/supply off, valuables locked, etc. Turning off C3 at the bottles is now on the list... it just takes a few seconds. Having worked in the natural gas liquids business, I've seen propane and not so pleasant results come together and I understand how easy it is to believe that safety systems will function when called upon.

A great shared learning! Many thanks, Rob.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

This reminds me of the time where we made breakfast outside using the 'outdoor kitchen' little stove, and had it turned down to simmer to keep our food warm. After breakfast we headed out to the beach and had a wonderful afternoon; that is until we returned to the trailer

I go to the outdoor fridge, which is beside the stove, and I notice this really faint blue ring on one of the burners. Then I notice the exterior door, which folds above the kitchen is warm too. Turns out, my wife left the stove on simmer while we headed out. Thankfully, and amazingly for that matter, no damage was done. Just lower levels of LP in the tanks.

Since then, we have stopped using that stove since we got a larger Camp Chef stove, but we still double check that every stove is off when heading out Of course I never let her forget about the time she almost burned down our trailer. She's a very patient person​​​​​​
      ​​​​​
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Came back to our trailer after a couple of hours away and discovered what I thought was a wiff of sewer gas. Checked the AAVs and made sure that the sink traps had water (I had recently drained the tanks). Smell was stronger in the pass through . . . making me think about a tank grommet. Then . . . I look over at the stove and one of the burner valves is slightly on . I probably bumped it hanging a dish towel on the oven door handle.

The propane alarm never went off . . . but, all the windows of the trailer were open. I subsequently checked and tested the propane alarm and it looks to be OK (green light on). I will have to check it with actual propane.

Learning (for me) . . . what smells like a faint sewer gas leak, might be a small propane leak.

Rob
        Rob I do that all the time due to my dimensional issues - even in the house. I have learned to double check when I am around the stove to make sure the burners are fully off. Fortunately that is one smell I am very sensitive about. That and burnt food on the stove - but don't tell SWMBO that

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Rob,

For one thing that you taught me was to turn the water off when leaving the camper. I do that and I always turn the gas off when it is not needed. The problem with turning the gas off is if there is a power outage the fridge will auto change over to gas, with the gas/electric fridge, but I still turn off the gas when not needed. I have many times needed gas and had to go back out and turn it on but it beats the alternative of an empty gas cylinder from a impromptu leak.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X