Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BillinTexas
    Hi Bill,

A hose clamp is the right fastening device for what is actually braided hose. A Pex clamp would work, but I originally made up these "adapters" so that I could cut the hose and insert the adapter piece using just a screwdriver for the hose clamp. The soft hose can creep which loosens a rigid clamp (part of the reason that the original installations drip leak). A hose clamp can be easily re-tightened if needed.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

BillinTexas The flexible tubing would have a normal hose clamp (on the proper 1/2" barb fitting) and the PEX uses cinch clamps. Unless you remove all of the flex tubing you need to carry some of both.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        BillinTexas
        Hi Bill,

A hose clamp is the right fastening device for what is actually braided hose. A Pex clamp would work, but I originally made up these "adapters" so that I could cut the hose and insert the adapter piece using just a screwdriver for the hose clamp. The soft hose can creep which loosens a rigid clamp (part of the reason that the original installations drip leak). A hose clamp can be easily re-tightened if needed.

Rob
        Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        BillinTexas The flexible tubing would have a normal hose clamp (on the proper 1/2" barb fitting) and the PEX uses cinch clamps. Unless you remove all of the flex tubing you need to carry some of both.
        Thanks, guys. As you can see in the first picture I posted to this thread, cinch clamps were used on the flexible tubing. I have the normal hose clamps so I may just replace the connection there with the two I bought at Home Depot and go buy what I need to replace with the same in all locations they are currently installed.

Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Thanks, guys. As you can see in the first picture I posted to this thread, cinch clamps were used on the flexible tubing. I have the normal hose clamps so I may just replace the connection there with the two I bought at Home Depot and go buy what I need to replace with the same in all locations they are currently installed.
          Yeah Grand Design uses PEX clamps on the flexible hose, its the wrong clamp and the wrong fitting combination that causes it to leak.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I got things repaired yesterday and put a new faucet in the bathroom at the same time. A lot rides on the rubber washers in the connectors. More so in the bathroom, since it connects directly to the faucet with no actual braided supply line. I see why Rob made the pieces he did. When I first tested them, everything leaked. Had to tighten all of the hose clamps more. They tested fine and I will test them again today before calling it good. Spare parts will be on board. Thanks for the help guys. We have a trip next week and I don't want plumbing issues to deal with. Pictured is the old part, new part, and assembled.
            Attached Files
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas -- I'll defer to Rob's ( Cate&Rob ) expertise, but it looks like from the pictures that soft hose is clamped to a pex connection. That's not going to hold over the long term--needs to be barbed to soft hose.

Hope I'm wrong...

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                BillinTexas -- I'll defer to Rob's ( Cate&Rob ) expertise, but it looks like from the pictures that soft hose is clamped to a pex connection. That's not going to hold over the long term--needs to be barbed to soft hose.

Hope I'm wrong...

Howard
                I think that's what BillinTexas was referring to when he said "I see why Rob made the pieces he did." You can get by tightening the hose clamp as the hose squeezes out of the connection, but this will only work for a while. You can see that the hose is already bulging beside the clamp because the Pex fitting is too small.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I guess I'm not sure what type of fittings to use. Everything I looked at said PEX. All of my searches come up empty. These shouldn't be that difficult to find.
                  Any help is appreciated.
                  Last edited by BillinTexas; 03-15-2022, 07:18 PM.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

I guess I'm not sure what type of fittings to use. Everything I looked at said PEX. Any help is appreciated.
                    Rob's adapters will let you go from PEX to the flexible hose. The flexible hose is too big of a diameter got the PEX fitting. You need a 1/2" barb fitting for the hose.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Rob's adapters will let you go from PEX to the flexible hose. The flexible hose is too big of a diameter got the PEX fitting. You need a 1/2" barb fitting for the hose.
                      I understand but I'm wanting to avoid additional joints. Would this connector be what I'm looking for? https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-1434-...%2C116&sr=8-53
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

I understand but I'm wanting to avoid additional joints. Would this connector be what I'm looking for? https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-1434-...%2C116&sr=8-53
                        It seems like it might. I've never actually seen such a thing. I'm not sure how it seals from the photo, I'd assume a cone washer, but you'd need to have one in hand to be sure.

Neil Citro

Comment

Hi Bill,

That fitting is FPT (Female Pipe Thread) to 1/2" Hose Barb. It will fit the hose and "might" seal to the compression fitting thread if you use teflon tape. I do think that you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. The "adapters" that I described earlier are easy to make and create a robust connection between the soft hose and a Pex fitting. As has been mentioned earlier . . . the permanent fix is to replace all the soft hose with Pex pipe, using Pex fittings and Pex clamps.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob , I probably am. I need to repair before our trip next week but may find the thread when I get back and make the adapters. I'm finding that the stepped rubber washers apparently aren't common. I plan to contact a local RV dealer to see if they have replacements or see if the rubber cone washers will work on the old fittings.

What is the best way to remove the crimp clamps?
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

Cate&Rob , I probably am. I need to repair before our trip next week but may find the thread when I get back and make the adapters. I'm finding that the stepped rubber washers apparently aren't common. I plan to contact a local RV dealer to see if they have replacements or see if the rubber cone washers will work on the old fittings.

What is the best way to remove the crimp clamps?
                              I think Rob gave a class on it once via forum posts lol. Basically you grab the edge of the clamp with a wire cutters and "unwind"it until it releases. There's a little locking tab you bend back too. He uses one of these, but I've used a regular wire cutters in a pinch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9EB308BE-0501-4922-9CAD-25D260E16E5E.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	79217

Neil Citro

Comment

BillinTexas 1/2" Barb fittings should be common at your local home center. Get one with 1/2" male pipe threads on the other end. Then you want a 1/2 PEX connector with 1/2" female threads on the ends. Then a short piece of 1/2" PEX and you should be able to connect that to the factory PEX connector you have now. Only connection you are adding is the connection between the soft hose and PEX, but that's needed until you rip out the soft hose and replace it all with PEX.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X