Solitude water filter hoses rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude water filter hoses rubbing

Hi all. I posted this on the "other" forum but since this is the technical forum for GD I thought I'd post my issue here. The blue soft hoses going into the Nautilus panel on my 2019 Solitude 375RES are rubbing against the holes in the Nautilus panel and are starting to leave indentations in the hose. I know at some point the hoses will leak and could flood the front storage area and probably the underbelly. For some reason GD saw fit not to install rubber grommets around the holes to prevent this. There is very minimal clearance around the hoses to try to fit grommets in. The rig is a year old and about 3000 miles of towing on it. I really don't want to have to break the connections and pull the hoses out if there is an easier fix. Any Solitude owners on here run into this? I will try to post pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks for any input! Click image for larger version

Name:	hose1.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	7861
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Click image for larger version

Name:	hose2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	7864Here is a pic of the lower hose, very tight clearance. Sorry for the big pic!
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Jeff - How about placing silicone caulk between the hoses and the holes? This would stop future movement and possibly prevent chaffing?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Jeff - How about placing silicone caulk between the hoses and the holes? This would stop future movement and possibly prevent chaffing?

Jim
        Jim that's definitely a possibility plus it can easily be redone if the silicone wears away or falls out. Thanks!
        Jeff
        2019 Solitude 375 RES
        2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
          Hi all. I posted this on the "other" forum but since this is the technical forum for GD I thought I'd post my issue here. The blue soft hoses going into the Nautilus panel on my 2019 Solitude 375RES are rubbing against the holes in the Nautilus panel and are starting to leave indentations in the hose. I know at some point the hoses will leak and could flood the front storage area and probably the underbelly. For some reason GD saw fit not to install rubber grommets around the holes to prevent this. There is very minimal clearance around the hoses to try to fit grommets in. The rig is a year old and about 3000 miles of towing on it. I really don't want to have to break the connections and pull the hoses out if there is an easier fix. Any Solitude owners on here run into this? I will try to post pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks for any input! Click image for larger version

Name:	hose1.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	7861
          If you cannot split a grommet and install it the hole how about a rubber automotive hose that you can split and slide over and through the hole positioning the uncut side in the area that is rubbing the most. It can be secured with a zip tie and depending on the use of the rubber hose they come in various wall thickness. (Fuel, vacuum, pressure etc..) I would suggest you go one size larger in diameter then your current hose split the hose length wise wrap it around the water hose making a sheath, slide that trough the hole and zip tie once in place.
          2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Brilliant Drifter.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks drifterranch, I think that's what I'm going to do, probably the easiest but not the prettiest solution. The bottom hose will be the toughest, it comes through the hole at a 45 degree angle and very little slack to slip a piece of hose over it. I'll try this solution and post back the results and pictures. Thanks all!
              Jeff
              2019 Solitude 375 RES
              2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Txfivver

Hi Jeff,

You don’t have much room to get a piece of hose through that hole in the wall. You might want to consider a piece of harder but thinner wall plastic pipe. This piece would not have to go completely around the soft hose that is being chaffed . . . it could be a half circle zip tied in place on the tight side.

You do need to consider this repair as “temporary”. I have seen this soft hose burst . . . without chaffing to weaken it in the first place. The permanent fix should be Pex pipe coming through a grommet without significant sideways pressure.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

While at the factory last week we noticed on the back side of the Nautilus panel that is placed in the Solitude and Momentum line that this particular hose that you are referencing some of the panels this line had a slight kink on it. This is right where the hose comes thru the panel as Txfivver has pictured above. Being as you are having a chaffing problem you may wish to look at this same hose on the back of the panel. I wish i had taken a picture of this to show. It is worth a look and may help you determine a "better" fix.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Txfivver

Hi Jeff,

You don’t have much room to get a piece of hose through that hole in the wall. You might want to consider a piece of harder but thinner wall plastic pipe. This piece would not have to go completely around the soft hose that is being chaffed . . . it could be a half circle zip tied in place on the tight side.

You do need to consider this repair as “temporary”. I have seen this soft hose burst . . . without chaffing to weaken it in the first place. The permanent fix should be Pex pipe coming through a grommet without significant sideways pressure.

Rob
                    Rob thank you, great point as always. I guess I was hoping for an easy fix but that's probably not the best way to go with something as important as this. I guess pulling the basement wall down is in my near future, at least I have a nice enclosed storage place to work on it now. If I'm going to all that trouble I will replace the soft hose as stated but will look for some titanium unobtanium nuclear proof tubing to ensure I never have bursting issues LOL !!
                    Jeff
                    2019 Solitude 375 RES
                    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Ok so I'm getting ready to tackle this chafing hose project but I want to get the hose and clamps ordered first. From the pics I posted what is this hose called? Is it Pex or "soft hose" and where can I order it? I saw something similar on Amazon but they called it Pex. Sorry for my plumbing ignorance but I appreciate any advice. Thanks all!
                      Jeff
                      2019 Solitude 375 RES
                      2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Your previous pictures show "soft hose" coming through the holes in the wall. Pex pipe is a much harder plastic material and while it will be more resistant to chafe, it should also be protected if coming through a hole as shown in your pictures. Pex pipe is less flexible than the soft hose and will kink if bent too tightly. The best plan is to use elbows to route the Pex pipe with minimal bending. Pex pipe is clamped to Pex fittings with Pex cinch clamps using a Pex tool. If you look "behind the wall" you will see lots of examples of Pex pipe, fittings and clamps. All these parts and tools are available at any Home Depot or similar.

Rob
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-09-2020, 04:57 PM.
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob thank you, those pictures really help me see what tools I need to buy and the hose I need, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking I will remove the soft hose and enlarge that pass through hole with my Dremel tool. Then I can fit a rubber grommet and run either more soft hose or pex hose through the grommet and reconnect everything. I will probably tidy things up behind the infamous wall while I'm in there. Thanks again!
                          Jeff
                          2019 Solitude 375 RES
                          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
                            ...enlarge that pass through hole with my Dremel tool.
                            Use a step drill bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Drill-Bits/b?ie=UTF8&node=256287011

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                            Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                              Great idea, thanks! I even have a set of those, I hate senior moments lol
                              Jeff
                              2019 Solitude 375 RES
                              2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                              X