Grey Waste Tank size in 2022 260RD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Waste Tank size in 2022 260RD?

I'm trying to confirm the grey waste tank size for the shower/bath sink. Grand Design Customer Service was helpful, but the best they could say was "....well the two grey waste tanks on the drawing look the same on the plumbing diagram so I'm guessing they are each about 35 gallons since the documented capacity for your trailer is 71 gallons." I realize that to some degree the number of gallons doesn't really matter - the tank will be full when it's full.
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

According to what I have access to the bath grey tank is 39 gallons, the kitchen grey is 32 gallons.

You could check with a water meter, most tank ratings are pretty close but may not be exact. Also the bath tanks are usually larger.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Country Campers Brian! 39 makes sense, as the 42 gallon Barker tote got a lot fuller than I expected. I chickened out and shut down the macerator before the Grey tank was empty.
      Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
        Thanks Country Campers Brian! 39 makes sense, as the 42 gallon Barker tote got a lot fuller than I expected. I chickened out and shut down the macerator before the Grey tank was empty.
        Out of curiosity....why use a macerator when draining the gray tank? Unless the liquid coming out of the camper was being pumped uphill?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Out of curiosity....why use a macerator when draining the gray tank? Unless the liquid coming out of the camper was being pumped uphill?
          I use one to pump up into my tote in the bed of the truck so I don't need to tow it to the dump station (particularly if it's not nearby). There's one provincial park in Canada we go to where it's several miles down the highway in a separate campground.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I use one to pump up into my tote in the bed of the truck so I don't need to tow it to the dump station (particularly if it's not nearby). There's one provincial park in Canada we go to where it's several miles down the highway in a separate campground.
            Yep--I do the same thing. Just found it curious that the OP was using a macerator to drain the gray when experimenting with how much it will hold. I assumed they were filling the tank with fresh water and were in a place where it could be drained on the ground.

But that's just me--no harm in what they OP is doing--just peaked my interest to understand the methodology.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yep--I do the same thing. Just found it curious that the OP was using a macerator to drain the gray when experimenting with how much it will hold. I assumed they were filling the tank with fresh water and were in a place where it could be drained on the ground.

But that's just me--no harm in what they OP is doing--just peaked my interest to understand the methodology.
              Howard, we're well beyond experiments. 😂 We're 3 weeks into the maiden voyage and already extended another week and a half. Will end up being a full month in the new trailer on the first trip!

per yours and Neil's suggestion I have the tote in the bed of the truck. So yes, using macerator to pump uphill. I'm having to dump the shower Grey about every 4 nights (using "Navy" style showering) so having a convenient way to make the round trip to the dump station was important to me.

Still trying to perfect the shut down process. Best I've managed still results in 1-2 cups of spilled grey waste when I pull off the pump.

Definitely not gong to try this system with the black!
              Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike & Rebecca Mike, You might try a Wye and short hose between the Wye and the tank with an extra shut off upstream of the Wye. That way when you shut down, you can close the extra valve, and open the vented side of the Wye allowing the short hose to be completely drained, then close both of the Wye and disconnect.

Almost need a diagram to explain.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Mike & Rebecca Mike, You might try a Wye and short hose between the Wye and the tank with an extra shut off upstream of the Wye. That way when you shut down, you can close the extra valve, and open the vented side of the Wye allowing the short hose to be completely drained, then close both of the Wye and disconnect.

Almost need a diagram to explain.
                  I think I can almost get what you're describing. The issue seems to more how slowly the remaining liquid drains from the waste line. I noticed even when dumping at the campground dump station that when the waste (doesn't matter grey or black) is almost empty, a trickle runs for a long time. With the old trailer it seemed that the waste came to an end pretty quickly.

Not sure if that's because there's a long waste line run, or what the deal is. I run the pump until I can hear there's no fluid emptying into the tote anymore (and I let it run a few seconds longer for good measure.)

I also have ball valve shut offs at both ends of the hose running from the pump to the tote to catch whatever is left in the hose.

So my process is to run the pump until nothing else is running into the tote. Then I try to simultaneously turn off the pump and close the ball valve on the hose to keep the fluid in the hose from running back into the pump. Then I walk the hose up to the tote while emptying the hose.

But still left with a cup or two of waste between the Valera add on waste gate and the pump. It just seems there's a slow (but significant) amount of fluid still draining from the tank.

All that to say I'm afraid to shut the main waste valve while continuing to run the macerator. I was worried there'd be too much suction created and damage the macerator.
                  Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike & Rebecca Mike, If you have the flo jet, open the flush line to allow air into the system. The Macerator will pull just enough vacuum to open the wash one way valve (this is how I do mine). That allows you to close the valve, wait for the trickle to build, then pump to the disposal tank.

The Wye and short hose at the top was due to me thinking you were having issues with the hose drain back. I think Howard was having this issue.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Mike & Rebecca Mike, If you have the flo jet, open the flush line to allow air into the system. The Macerator will pull just enough vacuum to open the wash one way valve (this is how I do mine). That allows you to close the valve, wait for the trickle to build, then pump to the disposal tank.

The Wye and short hose at the top was due to me thinking you were having issues with the hose drain back. I think Howard was having this issue.
                      Like the flush line idea! I would have never thought of that. Thanks!!
                      Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Working...
                      X